Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are a lot of thematic elements this game does nicely- I like the fact that you can't battle the Ancient Ones, as that fits with Lovecraft's stories, where if ever these monsters wake up humanity doesn't stand a chance (although you can 'deny the beast's power' when you use the relic that cancels ongoing effects- I have mixed feelings on that one, although it works well as a game mechanic).

However, one element I'm not quite happy with is the idea that an investigator can go insane, and then can walk through shoggoths with little effect and continue working to beat the game. What if an insane investigator that encountered a shoggoth was eliminated? You could have the player discard all their cards, start over with a new investigator at the train station with half sanity, but no cards, and an Awakening Ritual would occur. Of course, there's a chance this could spell certain doom in certain circumstances, and it might even help in others (one less insane investigator), but it would add another element of tension and uncertainty to the game (like "Oh, crap, we're down to 3 sanity between us, and Shudde M'Ell hasn't shown up yet....").

On a side note, I wish the game designer had been a bit more ambitious, and rather than have a whole bunch of Ancient Ones enter the world each game, each AO had it's own, thematic deck of 10 or so 'mythos events' to pull from that made up the 6 items to flip, leading to the Awakening of the AO and end of the game. The original game could have come with 4 or 5 AO's, and expansions could have introduced a couple more each time. I'm guessing, should there be an expansion, they will add more AO's to choose from, which is fine (I'll buy it), but building a unique deck around each AO would have been more thematic.

Like the game, even so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Selvaggio
msg tools
designer
I agree the insane investigator should be more vulnerable to a shoggoths presence. I suggest that when the sanity die is rolled, for an insane investigator, for any reason, they lose an action when the delusional or paranoid result is rolled. This could represent the parallelization of insanity when it's cause is reintroduced. Also, when the sanity die is rolled,in a location shared by a shoggoth, an insane investigator MUST lose an action when the delusional result is rolled and on a PSYCHOTIC result they MUST lose two actions. If the investigator cannot pay the action cost they are devoured (skip turn) and replace the investigator on the players' Next turn. As to the old ones I like them as they are. Maybe for a tougher game awaken the leftmost old one or add one face up and place in the partial space. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LordHass wrote:
I agree the insane investigator should be more vulnerable to a shoggoths presence. I suggest that when the sanity die is rolled, for an insane investigator, for any reason, they lose an action when the delusional or paranoid result is rolled. This could represent the parallelization of insanity when it's cause is reintroduced.

I like this idea! Thematic- you're paralyzed by your insanity when confronted again. I'd leave paranoid as adding cultists, and lose action(s) on the sanity loss results as you later indicated. It works well on the player's action phase, but what about outside of that, when there are no actions to lose? Instant devour? Or maybe roll the die, devour on delusional or psychotic, place cultists on paranoid, and no effect on blank?

LordHass wrote:
If the investigator cannot pay the action cost they are devoured (skip turn) and replace the investigator on the players' Next turn.

Yeah, that was my intention, nicely clarified. We're thinking along the same lines.

LordHass wrote:
As to the old ones I like them as they are. Maybe for a tougher game awaken the leftmost old one or add one face up and place in the partial space. What do you think?

I was thinking that difficulty might be adjusted by the 'mythos' deck associated with a unique AO. Right now the difficulty is random, which is fine, too. The game has been released, so it's unrealistic for my unique deck idea to be implemented at this point. From a thematic view, if all these AOs were being released on the world we wouldn't stand a chance, but it's a minor quibble. No doubt the cost of the game would have needed to be higher if there were 28-35 oversized AO cards instead of 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés F.
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's not perfect thematically, but as a game mechanic it definitely works. I love that there's no player elimination in this game. And the game is hard enough as it is -- I've only won once in the easiest difficulty level!

I like your suggestion of Old One decks. I understand why the designer didn't do it: suppose at some point they must trim down ideas and stick to a relatively simple design. Good ideas can go on forever :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.