Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: delivering with no cards in hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I deliver to kansas and get 6 money and place a disc even if I have no cattle on hand ? Also Can you have multiple fiscs on kansas and San Francisco ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes (note that the disc you'll have to place in KC will cost you 6 points at the end), and yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No cattle in hand? You mean all four cards are end game goals?

I mean the answer is yes, but it seems a very unlikely situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes. Each disc you have on Kansas City will be -6 pts, and each disc on San Francisco will be 9 pts. This are the only cities where you may have more than one disc. All the other cities may only have 1 disc from each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold all the cattle on the way. Me and those cowboys went on a drinking rampage !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
geirinn wrote:
I sold all the cattle on the way. Me and those cowboys went on a drinking rampage !

You always replenish to your hand limit (generally 4) at the end of each turn. Selling a cow just gets it out of your hand, but at the end of your turn you will draw a replacement.

Sounds like you were not playing correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you refill your hand back up to your hand limit at the end of your turn before moving to KC?

Or when you took the actions on the buildings to discard a cattle for money, were you removing them from the game instead of putting the cards in your discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found we were playing that rule wrong. I recommend it if you are looking for a hard variant !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be possible if you had the two buildings that allow you to move and take another action as I think both of them let you discard two cards that are the same. It would be pretty dumb but I think possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
I think it would be possible if you had the two buildings that allow you to move and take another action as I think both of them let you discard two cards that are the same. It would be pretty dumb but I think possible

I think as stated above it wouldn't matter how many cards you discard you would always draw back up to your hand limit. You wouldn't ever get to Kansas City with a truly empty hand. Only the possibility of having a hand full of objective cards is even remotely possible, but as said earlier highly unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakajin wrote:
Zark wrote:

I think as stated above it wouldn't matter how many cards you discard you would always draw back up to your hand limit. You wouldn't ever get to Kansas City with a truly empty hand. Only the possibility of having a hand full of objective cards is even remotely possible, but as said earlier highly unlikely.

Build 3a lets you discard 2 cattle cards of the same type for $3 and move 1 step forward and take the action at the newly reached location. If you build that building next to Kansas City, when you stop there and discard 2 cards then move to KC, you don't refill your hand before selling your cattle at KC. You only refill at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David is right - you could end up in KC with 2 cards, of which both could be objectives.

Played this last night and two players put their 3a on the two spaces just before KC - newbie mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
Build 3a lets you discard 2 cattle cards of the same type for $3 and move 1 step forward and take the action at the newly reached location. If you build that building next to Kansas City, when you stop there and discard 2 cards then move to KC, you don't refill your hand before selling your cattle at KC. You only refill at the end of your turn.

You don't have to take the extra step to Kansas City though, so you aren't being forced to go to KC without cows, you are choosing to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

You don't have to take the extra step to Kansas City though, so you aren't being forced to go to KC without cows, you are choosing to do so.

Even if they do choose to move I don't think the do the building action applies to Kansas City because Kansas City isn't a Building...

The extra movement you get when you play the objective cards that give you extra movement don't allow you to enter Kansas City, that isn't stated about the extra movement provided by your buildings so I'm guessing it is allowed but if you aren't allowed to replenish your hand before performing the Kansas City steps it makes no sense to do that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kansas City isn't a building but it is a location.
The purple box by the description for building 3a in the top right corner of page 14 in the rule book says:
Quote:
Action: Move your cattleman forward along the trail
This action allows you to move your cattleman forward to another location along the trail. If you do, you must move it at least 1 step and may not move it more steps than the number in the icon states. On the location where you stop, you must then perform once more all of phase B.
Note that you do not replenish your hand cards before performing phase B again. This is only done at the end of your turn.

So if you land on KC, you perform the 5 steps there. If you land on a hazard, teepee, or another player's building you get to perform an single auxilliary action. A neutral or your building, perform the building action or a single auxilliary action.

The extra move action on the building is a grey cattleman. The extra move action on the objective cards is a white cattleman. As a reminder, I tell new players that the grey cattleman means you perform phase B again at the new location and the white cattleman means you don't perform phase B again and can't use that action to move into KC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.