Subject: Zeus Edition - Unboxing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Mitchell
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi everyone. Just thought I'd post images from my unboxing of the Zeus Edition of Santorini which I received today.

The front of the box. I love the artwork for this game so much. Mr. Cuddington did a wonderful job.

The back cover.

The inside of the front cover, with a personal thank you from Dr. Gordon Hamilton.

The contents themselves. Nicely organized. First thing we see are the game components and the Golden Fleece expansion box.

Removing the components reveals the God cards.

I had to unpackage these right away.

The cards themselves feel like they'll be able to stand up to a lot of play/punishment.

Removing the God cards (and cardboard liner) reveals a Zeus Edition art print.

Under the art print was the rulebook. As the file is available at roxley.com/santorini-rulebook I decided not to include a pic.

After the rulebook is the Ocean board. (I found this upside down in the box.)

The hardcover storybook is next.

The Island board is under the hardcover storybook. (I found this upside down in my box.)

Both game boards are made of thick cardboard and seem fairly sturdy. I didn't try building the Island of Santorini yet though as I had more pictures to take.

The softcover version of the artbook was next out of the box. (This too was upside down in my box.)

Under the softcover storybook was an envelope containing the pearl finish art card signed by David and Lina, aka Mr. Cuddington, aka the phenomenal pair of artists behind the gorgeous art of this game.

And then, the liner for the inside of the box, which is the same as the Zeus Edition art print above, so I'm not including a picture.

Roxley Games also included some pins.

Moving on to the Golden Fleece expansion box and it's contents.

Now that everything was photographed, I had to build up the Island of Santorini.

This was my first time actually handling the components and I have to say they are really well crafted. Each plastic piece is really sturdy and, if I was playing with kids, I wouldn't be worried about them breaking them. That being said, some of the pieces are rather small and could be easily lost or, if your kid is predisposed to do so, eaten. Definitely keep out of reach of the especially young.

I am in complete awe of what Roxley Games have done with this edition of Santorini. It's absolutely beautiful. It's the exact treatment that the game deserved. What Gavan & the rest of his team at Roxley Games pulled off here ... just wow! I don't think even Days of Wonder could have done a better version.

And with that, this unboxing post is complete. Hope you enjoyed the photos. Have a great day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what exactly is the difference between the 'Zeus Edition' and the Kickstarter and standard retail editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
So, what exactly is the difference between the 'Zeus Edition' and the Kickstarter and standard retail editions?

Very good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the KS:

~ ZEUS EDITION ~

Receive an upgraded LIMITED EDITION copy of Santorini with all stretch goals!

This beautiful version of the game includes:
• A hard cover story book
• Oversized synthetic God cards
• Optional "White Box" cover
• A metal plate with the word "Zeus" on one side and a unique number on the inside on the box
• Digitally painted Zeus Box Liner
• Worldwide shipping included for USA Canada & EU.
• Receive it 1-2 months before release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still confused. Does this mean that if you got in on the original Kickstarter campaign that you now also have this upgraded "Zeus edition"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
Still confused. Does this mean that if you got in on the original Kickstarter campaign that you now also have this upgraded "Zeus edition"?

Only if you backed at the Zeus Edition level. Otherwise you don't get the following.

• A hard cover story book
• A metal plate with the word "Zeus" on one side and a unique number on the inside on the box
• Digitally painted Zeus Box Liner
• Receive it 1-2 months before release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Muench
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The Zeus edition was a separate tier that allowed you some cosmetic enhancements and receiving the game earlier than anyone else. Majority of people, myself included, just got the standard base game and expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not according to this screenshot I just took:

I don't see anything about a special Zeus Edition "tier".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:

That is not the Zeus Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:

I don't see anything about a special Zeus Edition "tier".

Go to the Rewards tab, and you'll find the details there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Mitchell
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Byron & James are correct.

The Zeus Edition was not a stretch reward but rather a reward tier.

In terms of gameplay components Roxley Games does not believe games should have exclusives. So the Zeus Edition and the retail edition are basically the same except for the additions listed by Byron & James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
strongbow25 wrote:

In terms of gameplay components Roxley Games does not believe games should have exclusives. So the Zeus Edition and the retail edition are basically the same except for the additions listed by Byron & James.

strongbow25 wrote:

Lee (and Byron, James, and Luke) is on point here, just adding the official voice of Roxley to endorse the answer. cool

Thanks so much, Lee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky, mine hasn't arrived yet. This is what I had to play with at BGG.Con when I couldn't find the wooden version in the library:

Hermes (purple) vs Hephaestus (red). Hephaestus to move. I was Hephaestus and had failed to force the higher Hermes piece into a position where my corner piece could take the win.

When I have to improvise a Santorini set to demo to new players, I ask them to name gods/mythological figures and then explain the powers we will use.

The only copy of Sagrada was like a rock star; when Nate from Floodgate brought it out for a late-night demo the 'players wanted' flag went away as soon as it came out and people crowded around to watch. It is too bad that an early copy of Santorini wasn't overnighted to BGG.Con for the hot games area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strongbow25 wrote:
The cards themselves feel like they'll be able to stand up to a lot of play/punishment.

Aren't the Zeus edition cards supposed to be indestructible and have warranty replacement? Of course, cards don't actually need to be shuffled unless you play with Chaos or Tyche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Mitchell
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I had thought so too Michael but, with the inclusion of the same type of card in The Golden Fleece, I'm now thinking all the cards are going to be of this quality.

Unless , of course, Roxley Games made special versions of The Golden Fleece expansion to include the upgraded cards for the Zeus Editions.

The cards themselves, as you'll hopefully see in a couple of days, are tougher than cards I see in other games. They've got a plastic feel to them, like high grade poker cards, and seem, cause I'm not about to try, that they'd be tough to rip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee, we also upgraded the Golden Fleece cards of Zeus backers to synthetic, to match. ("Regular" cards will not feel the same when you encounter them in the wild.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee,the Zeus edition comes with fancy cards for life in all your expansions and stuff.

Mine arrived today (#101). Very nice, but I'm worried about the metal plate causing damage to the box and others if I'm not careful. Fortunately my shelving gets less deep as it rises, so I can store it at the end of a shelf with 'Zeus' rotated 90 degrees. Should stand out nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Lee,the Zeus edition comes with fancy cards for life in all your expansions and stuff.

There may have been a misunderstanding somewhere... we definitely would like to offer these for future expansions, but I don't remember us promising them as a "line-for-life" type of upgrade. Are you perhaps confusing us with another campaign?

Original pledge descriptions can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/santorini-learn-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

There may have been a misunderstanding somewhere... we definitely would like to offer these for future expansions, but I don't remember us promising them as a "line-for-life" type of upgrade. Are you perhaps confusing us with another campaign?

While I am not accurately remembering the promises that were made, they are supposed to be available in the future. The sort of people who pay for Zeus editions aren't likely to be happy with mixed cardstock.

Some of Gavan's KS comments:

https://goo.gl/Tkk6K7
https://goo.gl/iIOJpM

(BGG is truncating GET URLs today.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul is correct. We will offer synthetic cards for future expansions for a fee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olanmills
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice pictures. I just got mine today (well actually Friday, but I had it delivered to my office and I didn't bother coming to get it during the holiday). I played my first two games already. Awesome components and art, and gameplay, of course. I got #34.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Any info on how many Zeus copies have been printed?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer that.

200 were created, but the number in existence will always be less than that, as we've already had to dismantle a couple for spare parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.