7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » News

Subject: Against the Night Sky rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
"You’re standing on the mountain slopes above Celephaïs with twisting, smooth-barked gingko trees towering high above you. Below you, the sea stretches out like an azure tablecloth, spread thin and smooth across the table of the world. Only a light summer zephyr disturbs your reprieve, tousling your hair with invisible fingers, but as it brushes past you, everything you see becomes subtly wrong. The light has shifted in some phantom, unknowable way, and with it, the relative peace of the Dreamlands has been stripped away. Something is coming; something unknowable and alien and vast.

In our first preview of The Dreamlands expansion for Eldritch Horror, we looked at two of the eight new investigators who join your team. Today, however, we turn our attention to the wonders and perils that await within the Dreamlands—and the terrifying Ancient Ones that you must struggle against."

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/21/agains...

Spoiler (click to reveal)

-Front of Ancient One Sheets
-Example Encounters
-Pic of the Dreamlands Sideboard
-A Couple Artifacts

Obviously have to get my hands on it to see how the Dreamlands plays, but a couple things:

-No new tokens? Which may be a good thing.
-Focus Tokens are back.
-New Adventure Cards

And it looks like there is only one normal stack of location encounters for the Dreamlands corresponding to the 3 cities of Celephais, Ulthar, and Dylath-Leen. The other examples given for the Enchanted Wood and Underworld are full Expedition-style encounters requiring multiple tests. This may be to give incentive to go through a Dream Portal instead of the Enchanted Wood?

Also, I like the expansion symbol. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are new tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
There are new tokens.
I guess it depends on the definition of "new". I suppose Jonathan meant "tokens of a type we haven't seen before".
Dream Portals kinda count, but they're more of a mobile board extension then a stand-alone token. I know I won't count those as a new type of token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
And it looks like there is only one normal stack of location encounters for the Dreamlands corresponding to the 3 cities of Celephais, Ulthar, and Dylath-Leen. The other examples given for the Enchanted Wood and Underworld are full Expedition-style encounters requiring multiple tests. This may be to give incentive to go through a Dream Portal instead of the Enchanted Wood?

Also, I like the expansion symbol. goo

It's a local path from the Wood to the nearest city. I think they're just following the main board distinction (for Named Places) between civilized and uncharted, a distinction the first two sideboards didn't have as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
That's true. I didn't notice the local path. But there must be some special instruction to draw an Enchanted Woods card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
But there must be some special instruction to draw an Enchanted Woods card.
Wait, special instruction - why? I think I'm lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Hey Jonathan,

If I understand correctly, as you say Ulthar, Celephais and Dylath Leen have the classic 3 location encounter deck.

The other 3 locations all have Dream Portals on the main board, so you can Rest anywhere on the main board and go to Enchanted Woods or you can just walk through the dream portals on the main board. I believe the dream portals move as well.

There appears to be an Expedition-like token that moves around the 4 Wilderness locations in the side board which allows you to draw the encounters for those locations.

Side board in use
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3216682/jondigman?size=origi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.