Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Search for Ghouls... how? which? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Scenario says search for ghoul and put into play. Says search Deck and Discard.

How is this done?

It doesn't say flip cards till ghoul is revealed.

It includes discard.

Not all ghouls are the same.

We collected all 7 and chose a random one.

Grim Rule I would have taken the hardest one.

We just were not sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Choose, since it doesn't specify otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, you are doing it wrong. Its much simpler.
You pick the deck and search for the first Ghoul card that come. Pull it and shuffle the deck. If there are no Ghouls in the deck left then you search the Discard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darby Harris
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This is what the rules say about 'Search':

When a player is instructed to search for a card, that player is permitted to look at all of the cards in the searched area without revealing those cards to the other players.

-If an effect searches an entire deck, the deck must be shuffled upon completion of the search.
-When resolving a search effect, a player is obligated to find the object of the search should one or more eligible options be found within the searched area.
-While cards are in the process of being searched, they are not considered to have left their game area of origin.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
No, you are doing it wrong. Its much simpler.
You pick the deck and search for the first Ghoul card that come. Pull it and shuffle the deck. If there are no Ghouls in the deck left then you search the Discard.


This isn't what the rules say at all.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wonner
France
flag msg tools
You just pick the one you want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
kmazut wrote:
No, you are doing it wrong. Its much simpler.
You pick the deck and search for the first Ghoul card that come. Pull it and shuffle the deck. If there are no Ghouls in the deck left then you search the Discard.


This isn't what the rules say at all.


This is how its done in many games and its the best and easiest way. Because the deck is randomized and its card game(random by default), picking what you want make no sense. You will always pick the easiest option and how picking an enemy fits at all?!
This breaks the flow of the experience...sorry but meh at this rule.
Nah, picking the first random card that cover the requirements is the way.

Not all iterations of existing rules are better then the originals

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
My house-ruling of how to handle that Agenda text is to first take the discard pile and shuffle it back into the Encounter deck. I then proceed to draw from the top into the discard pile one by one until I come across the first ghoul type enemy, which the lead investigator treats as them having drawn it.

Edit: oh, oh i see. My bleary mind failed me and I misplayed the question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
tierdal wrote:
kmazut wrote:
No, you are doing it wrong. Its much simpler.
You pick the deck and search for the first Ghoul card that come. Pull it and shuffle the deck. If there are no Ghouls in the deck left then you search the Discard.


This isn't what the rules say at all.


This is how its done in many games and its the best and easiest way. Because the deck is randomized and its card game(random by default), picking what you want make no sense. You will always pick the easiest option and how picking an enemy fits at all?!
This breaks the flow of the experience...sorry but meh at this rule.
Nah, picking the first random card that cover the requirements is the way.

Not all iterations of existing rules are better then the originals



You can do whatever you want with your game but when answering rules questions provide the actual rule rather that what you, over the designers of the game, thought was best.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Assuming the OP was having questions about the Agenda 2B of The Gathering ("Rise of the Ghouls"), which is the only Agenda I can think of matching their question, they didn't even quote the card right. Unsurprising they're confused, since actually reading the card answers their question:

"Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck. Discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until a Ghoul enemy is discarded. The lead investigator draws that enemy."

There's no searching. There's no having to pick out a particular Ghoul. Just follow the instructions on the card. And perhaps read it carefully first the first time?
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darby Harris
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Assuming the OP was having questions about the Agenda 2B of The Gathering ("Rise of the Ghouls"), which is the only Agenda I can think of matching their question, they didn't even quote the card right. Unsurprising they're confused, since actually reading the card answers their question:

"Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck. Discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until a Ghoul enemy is discarded. The lead investigator draws that enemy."

There's no searching. There's no having to pick out a particular Ghoul. Just follow the instructions on the card. And perhaps read it carefully first the first time?


Actually there are a number of other cards that ask you to search the deck/discard without those specific instructions. The token card for, I think, scenario 1 has such an effect for the skull token (or one of them, can't remember exactly). There's also at least 1 or 2 encounter cards with similar effects.

In fact, the OP even said "It doesn't say flip cards till ghoul is revealed", so I doubt they are talking about the card you mention.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
My house-ruling of how to handle that Agenda text is to first take the discard pile and shuffle it back into the Encounter deck. I then proceed to draw from the top into the discard pile one by one until I come across the first ghoul type enemy, which the lead investigator treats as them having drawn it.


Not if you follow the Grim rule
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Exactly. I actually believe it was the token, but forget specifically. I do know that it said SEARCH but did not clarify HOW to search or WHICH ghoul to pick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting points. Let's go looking! Spoilers, everyone...

Well, "The Devourer Below" iconography card on Hard/Expert tells you to search the Encounter deck for a Monster if you fail on a Skull. Mysterious Chanting will have you search for a Cultist if there isn't one in play (which isn't very often in that adventure, to be honest). And that is it for Search for Enemy effects in the base box.

Since neither of those call out for Ghouls (as opposed to a Monster or Cultist), I'm going to have to say that the card was The Gathering on Expert/Hard, which calls for a Ghoul search when you fail on a Skull.

In any case, if you have to go searching for a Cultist (or Monster (or Ghoul)) from the above effects, you definitely can look through the entire encounter deck and discard and pick the one you want. Just remember to shuffle the encounter deck after you search it, and to keep the discard in the same order (less the card you took out).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.