Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several cases listed in the rules describing how Siege Equipment may be eliminated: boiling oil [16.74], fireballs [16.65], or if a combat unit in the same hex suffers an adverse result from Melee [16.47]. There is also a case, [16.15], that states how Siege Equipment has no ZOC and has no effect on Melee.

I don't see anything in the rules about combat units having any ability to eliminate an unaccompanied Siege Engine, however. Does one exist?

If not, do others introduce a house rule (e.g., if a combat unit is adjacent to unaccompanied Siege Equipment, and if the combat unit is not in the ZOC of an enemy combat unit, the Siege Equipment is eliminated at the end of the Combat Phase)?

This got my attention when I was trying to answer the question: How does one destroy a Catapult belonging to the other player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good point!

I have never yet seen a situation in which any siege equipment is "un-manned" and needed to be eliminated. As the Gondor player, the combat units operating the siege gear are attacked and destroyed, and that siege equipment was just removed from the board-eliminated. No "dedicated" attack was ever made, IIRC.

Sorry, not much help there.....I'm surprised no one else has yet tackled this point, 'cuz it's certainly valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you eat your burrito over a tortilla, anything that falls out will simply start building your next burrito!
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong but I don't think a combat unit has to man the catapults. To move they definitely have to be stacked with a combat unit but they can fire on their own without any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right.

It's just that I/we've never played where the equipment is "unguarded", and that over time we just assumed the siege gear has to be operated by a combat unit.

I'll keep that distinction in mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.