$35.00
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You will be so surprised at:

1) How well it plays
2) How non-punishing the blind buy model is. You may not get your perfect LUKE LEIA deck...but you WILL be able to build interest/great decks without the need for trading.

Unlike Magic ... the card pool is setup so that all calls have value. You won't buy a booster like in magic and get nothing but garbage to throw out. You will always get useful cards because they are all great , depending on the decks you build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
tierdal wrote:
You will be so surprised at:

1) How well it plays
2) How non-punishing the blind buy model is. You may not get your perfect LUKE LEIA deck...but you WILL be able to build interest/great decks without the need for trading.

Unlike Magic ... the card pool is setup so that all calls have value. You won't buy a booster like in magic and get nothing but garbage to throw out. You will always get useful cards because they are all great , depending on the decks you build.

Its the same as magic. Just smaller card pool. You cant say you use every card because this is just the first set. I guarantee after a set or two, there will be the trash cards. That's how the models keeps going. You get crap so you need to buy more to get the good stuff.

A LCG is where all cards are useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
tierdal wrote:
A LCG is where all cards are useful

I'm not arguing in favor of CCGs, but this statement isn't even remotely true. There are certainly no shortage of useless, garbage cards, even in LCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is garbage and throwaways in all of these models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:
I'm not arguing in favor of CCGs, but this statement isn't even remotely true. There are certainly no shortage of useless, garbage cards, even in LCGs.

I agree, but the useless cards are much more plentiful in a CCG. In SWD, assuming a perfect legendary pull rate, after opening six boxes to get two of each legendary, we are stuck with about 11 copies of each common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Can't people just enjoy a game without having to shit on another game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
You won't buy a booster like in magic and get nothing but garbage to throw out.

Oh, so I won't get duplicates past what I can put in a deck? /snark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Can't people just enjoy a game without having to shit on another game?

Amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's compare the Awakenings set to a 'standard' MtG set.

Legendary 17 cards (10.6% of the set)
Rare 43 (26.9%)
Uncommon 42 (26.3%)
Common 58 (36.3)
Starter 14 (8%)

Mythic 15 (6%)
Rare 53 (21.3%)
Uncommon 80 (32.1%)
Common 101 (40.6%)

So we can see that 37.5% of the set is rare/legendary, compared to a MtG set, with 27.3% being rare/mythic.

Also due to the booster compilation:

Destiny - 1 Rare/Legendary, 1 Uncommon, 3 Commons
MtG - 1 Rare/Legendary, 3 Uncommons, 10 Commons

in Destiny, the Uncommons are almost as rare as Rare cards - you can see that there's almost exactly the same number of each in the set too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The excitement on my daughter's face when I told her this was coming was priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The excitement on my daughter's face when I told her this was coming was priceless.

"I love you Star Wars Destiny"
"I know"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:

Rare 43 (26.9%)
Uncommon 42 (26.3%)
Common 58 (36.3)
Starter 14 (8%)

Mythic 15 (6%)
Rare 53 (21.3%)
Uncommon 80 (32.1%)
Common 101 (40.6%)

So we can see that 37.5% of the set is rare/legendary, compared to a MtG set, with 27.3% being rare/mythic.

in Destiny, the Uncommons are almost as rare as Rare cards - you can see that there's almost exactly the same number of each in the set too.

Don't forget you get 1 in 6 chance for a legendary per booster or 6 per box with Destiny. Magic is 1 in 8 with 4.5 per box.

Another consideration is you only need 2 for a play set in destiny while you'll need 4 in magic.

One final consideration is price per booster with Destiny being $2.99 to magic's $3.99.

Both completists and casual players should find Destiny cheaper to get into on average. However I would not expect the difference to change the minds of very many people who are against the collectible model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:

Rare 43 (26.9%)
Uncommon 42 (26.3%)
Common 58 (36.3)
Starter 14 (8%)

Mythic 15 (6%)
Rare 53 (21.3%)
Uncommon 80 (32.1%)
Common 101 (40.6%)

Being someone who's got Magic's hooks in them, I can also attest to the fact that the distribution in the Destiny boxes is set, unlike magic. When I buy a Magic box, I may get 2-8 mythics (equivalent to legendaries). The catch to that is that I can't actually garauntee that. On Saturday with the pre-release event, we kept track at the store. With 144 boosters opened, we had exactly 24 legendaries go out - Precisely 1/6, and even 6 in each of the four boxes. That's huge.

I'll also toss out there the sort of extra benefit that the dice in this game are incredibly high-quality, and i've never seen such good cardstock in a CCG (Barring Bushiroad products - their card stock is unreal). And this is all for 2.99 a booster, which is just absolutely amazing to me.

I'm jumping in hardcore on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
I swore off CCGs after playing L5R for so long. I remember chasing down rares for 7-10 different clans depending on where in the game's life you were playing. The enormous cost involved, the amount of dupes I had, and all the other things people find distasteful about CCGs...

So when I heard Destiny was gonnna be collectible, I hissed and cursed FFG for making a Star Wars card and dice game that I was certain I wasn't going to buy into.

Then I heard it was max 2 copies per deck for any card. Then I heard guaranteed 6 mythical (Legendaries) per box. Then I heard "$2.99 per pack." Then I heard of Team Covenant's saga set offer.

Then, I played the actual game. And I fell in love with a CCG all over again.

FFG was pretty ingenious in their business model for Destiny. They had their finger on the pulse of everything that bothered me about CCGs, and addressed them all. It's still a CCG, but it's one I don't feel bad buying into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
wells101 wrote:

Being someone who's got Magic's hooks in them, I can also attest to the fact that the distribution in the Destiny boxes is set, unlike magic. When I buy a Magic box, I may get 2-8 mythics (equivalent to legendaries). The catch to that is that I can't actually garauntee that. On Saturday with the pre-release event, we kept track at the store. With 144 boosters opened, we had exactly 24 legendaries go out - Precisely 1/6, and even 6 in each of the four boxes. That's huge.

I'll also toss out there the sort of extra benefit that the dice in this game are incredibly high-quality, and i've never seen such good cardstock in a CCG (Barring Bushiroad products - their card stock is unreal). And this is all for 2.99 a booster, which is just absolutely amazing to me.

I'm jumping in hardcore on this one.

I'm writing this as a word of caution.

There is, of course, one downside to set distribution in boxes; it allows stores and other collectors to open a box and open packs until they've gotten the majority of the Legendary cards from the box, and then resell the rest of the packs.

If a store opens a box and get 4 legendary cards out of the first 10 packs, they can know that there are only legendary cards in 10% of the remaining packs and choose not to open the rest (saving these packs with a lower chance of legendary cards for sale as single boosters). It won't happen always, but with the volume that stores will buy for the purpose of selling singles they will be able to. So while this system can give you more confidence when buying a booster box, it makes buying a single booster pack from any re-seller a more of a risk.

Obviously not all stores will do this, most game stores are legit, good people. But please be careful, and also be careful when buying from people on places like eBay.

Edit: Also, if you buy a booster box that is not sealed and find it does not contain the right amount of legendary cards, it may have been repackaged. Please let the community know where it was purchased, so that others can avoid the same fate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Let's compare Destiny - Awakenings to MTG - Kaladesh in terms of collectibility.

--Destiny--

Cannon Fodder (common) will be in 1 out of every 19 packs
Endless Ranks (uncommon) will be in 1 out of every 42 packs
Sith Holocron (rare) will be in 1 out of every 52 packs
Darth Vader (legendary) will be in 1 out of every 102 packs

--MTG Kaladesh--

Built to Last (common) will be in 1 out of every 10 packs
Aether Hub (uncommon) will be in 1 out of every 27 packs
Spirebluff Canal (rare) will be in 1 out of every 61 packs
Chandra (mythic) will be in 1 out of every 120 packs

I much prefer the destiny distribution. More likely to get a rare/legendary that I am looking for and less likely to get so many dupes of commons/uncommons.

Also, you need less copies of a card in a deck for destiny and the packs are cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sephton
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Definitely prefer Magic, because when I spend £60+ on it (like Ihave on Destiny) I can play all of the cards I receive.

I have no Yellow Villains, and hardly any villains at all. Just the starting ones plus a General Veers. They really should have thought the character distribution through better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you generally want two of each in Destiny - and finding two of any particular character seems tricky, unless you start buying the game by the display box!

I hear of people buying 4-6 boxes. Are they insane? That's £400-£600 - on the first wave (of several, I'm sure). The game is good, but nowhere near that good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a really fun game I have to say, especially for casual play. I even got my wife seriously into it, which is I was never able to do with Netrunner. I understand and respect that people may have an aversion to the CCG model, but hopefully unless it's a core belief you can give the game a chance if you have any interest in the game at all (funny enough, my interest came because of the designer and not really the IP as much).

It can be irksome to think someone may have a slightly more optimized deck than you because they paid a premium price for a card or more boosters, but there are tons of videos online showing you how you can make a deck on the cheap and still be quite competitive at the tournament level. I went ahead and bought and traded to get most of the cards, but even I'm running a Jango/Veers deck right now that has no Legendaries. In any competitive game like this you can't really let the top-level play limit your enjoyment of the game. Unless you're one of a small handful of people in the world, you will always be well shy of having enough of a resource that's necessary to be a top player -- whether money or time. Netrunner was an LCG and quite reasonably priced, but the top-level players in that game played day in and day out. Time that I just didn't have. But I still had so much fun playing with friends and even Store Champs, Regionals, and Worlds. And with Star Wars, you're even more thematic as an underdog. What's more Star Wars than putting together a scrappy deck and trying to knock off Vader and the like? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Plus you generally want two of each in Destiny - and finding two of any particular character seems tricky, unless you start buying the game by the display box!

I hear of people buying 4-6 boxes. Are they insane? That's £400-£600 - on the first wave (of several, I'm sure). The game is good, but nowhere near that good.

Collectible games aren't cheap, that's for sure. I wouldn't call someone crazy however for spending money on something they like. When supply finally catches up with demand, prices will surely come down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

As opposed to Magic where everyone runs cards as singles and certainly not at 4x in every deck...

RDewsbery wrote:

Compared to alot of other CCG's I've been into, whose base set would number in the 300+ card range and you would need 4x of each card for a play set this game is extremely consumer friendly.

I've spent around $400 (4 boxes, a few loose packs and 3 starters) and I've got a full playset of rares except for 2 cards, and 1 or more of each legendary. That is without any trading. As a comparison the last CCG I was heavily into was the World of Warcraft CCG. I would spend close to $700 a release in that game and wouldn't even come away with a set, let alone a playset. I can understand the boardgamer thinking that it is insane to spend that much but anyone who is experienced with CCGs or comparing this to Magic I don't see how you can say destiny is a more expensive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Houck
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glad to hear it's not a "horribly" collectible game. I've heard from a lot of people that it's a good game. I personally can't get into it for two reasons: collectible model of any type (after WK ruined my taste for that) and aesthetics (I really dislike the look of it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.