Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy McArdle
United States
Summit
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello All. I am new to the CWB series. Was skimming thru the rules and several question came to mind. I will deal only with two of them now. I understand that you can have no more than three A level firers and 10 gun points in a hex at any one time. So I could have 2 A firers and 2 B firers to make up the 3 A firer rule. My questions is in what order must I place the units in the stack in. Could I have a stack with a C a B and an A in the stack would the A be the top most unit ?.
I know that the top unit is the unit that checks morale for the stack as well as the one who takes casualties when the stack is fired at.
So could I have a C unit on top of the stack that takes casualties and have the A unit on the bottom of the stack and then have the A unit fire when it is the stacks turn. Does it matter how the units are stacked ?
Am I missing something here ?, I have read the pertinent rules 12.0, 12.1 and 12.3. But am still confused. With any answers place provide an example and the corresponding rule.
Thanking all who reply in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, Tommy. I'm wondering if you are distinguishing between Fire Levels and Morale Levels. Fire Levels are: AAA, AAB, AA, AB, A, B, C, and refer only to the brigade's numerical strength. The most that can fire from a hex is an A fire level + 5 guns (12.3). Two Cs make a B, two Bs or four Cs make an A.

Morale levels are A, B, C, D, and E.

While stacking order is up to the player, my experience (admittedly limited) is that players will typically place a unit with a high morale level on top, as it is less likely to lose stragglers and less likely to suffer a disadvantageous morale check (which would affect the whole stack). However, the downside of that tactic is higher quality units suffering more irrecoverable losses.

As for Fire, it's top down (12.3, 20.3b). So, that C Fire Level unit stacked above an A Fire level unit in your example will take the losses, but it still fires, along with any other units in the stack, until you've fired the equivalent of Fire level A (+ 5 guns if available), working down the stack.

It doesn't matter how the units are stacked; what matters is that, when you've expended your allotted fire Level A (+ 5 guns if available) that stack is done. Note that, while a unit cannot split fire, multiple units stacked in the same hex could. For instance, if you had two brigades stacked in the hex, each with a Fire Level "B", they could combine their fire or fire at separate targets.

Hope that helps, and apologies in advance for any misinformation offered; I'm confident that CWBS aficionados will intervene if I've gone astray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy McArdle
United States
Summit
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your reply William. So when a stack fires the top unit must fire then the next one etc etc till the A fire level is met.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not exactly. You could fire like that, unit by unit, until you'd reached "A" Fire level, or you could combine the fire of more than one unit, up to the point where you've reached "A" fire level.

The fundamental rule is that no more than an "A" Fire level can fire out of a given hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.