Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Where would one go to get the backstory on this game? I think I read once that the idea is that the game takes place in the Warhammer universe. I assume that would mean that it takes place sometime during the interim between Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40K. But then, that relies on the assumption that WFB and W40K exist in the same universe, which may well be a bad assumption on my part.

I think I also "learned" somewhere that within the milieu of this world, the Blood Bowl serves as a proxy for actual war. Apparently somewhere along the way someone decided that they would all be better off if they stopped fighting real wars and instead resolved their differences on the gridiron. This leaves me wondering though, what kind of rockstar diplomat managed to pull off that negotiation? "Hey you bloodthirsty warmongering orcs, wouldn't you rather play football with us instead of decapitating us and impaling our severed heads on spikes? I mean, I understand that warfare essentially forms the foundation of your society, but c'mon.... football. You guys with me on this or what?"

And then (again, given my aforementioned assumption about WFB and W40K), what caused it all to fall apart? Was there some nefarious, unforgivable act of treachery on the field that caused one side or the other to decide that gridiron football was no longer adequate for resolve interracial disputes thus causing war to once again erupt across the planet?

Anyway, you obviously don't need much of a backstory to play and enjoy this game. (And I hope you'll forgive my woefully inadequate knowledge of the Warhammer universe.) But the- dare I say it- absurdity of the game's concept does kind of beg the question. At least, it does for a nerd like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The only novels I'm aware of specific to Blood Bowl would be http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/blood-bowl-box-set.html

EDIT: Actually, search for "bowl" on the Black Library site and there is a short list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So, here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Quote:

Blood Bowl is set in an alternate version of the Warhammer Fantasy setting....

... the Blood Bowl world is similar to, but definitely not the same as, the Warhammer world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The novels aren't what you are looking for. While an enjoyable read, they will not tell yiu the story of how Blood Bowl came to be any more than reading Jurassjic Park will teach you the history of dinosaurs.

But the complete story of the discovery of the sacred texts of Nuffle and the account of the first Blood Bowl match (fought between dwarves and orcs) is recounted in the rulebook for 3rd edition (and likely 2nd edition) is reprinted in the Living Rulebook (download LRB6 not the CRB for this) and I can verify that it it in the rulebook for the 2016 edition included with the game (not in Death Zone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
So, here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Quote:

Blood Bowl is set in an alternate version of the Warhammer Fantasy setting....

... the Blood Bowl world is similar to, but definitely not the same as, the Warhammer world.

The version of the WHF world where they don't play Blood Bowl is the wrong one. I prefer to think of that as the alternate. This is the real one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isnt there some crazy backstory like the field and rules were found and all the races decided to honor the rules (sort of) and meet for a "peaceful" game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Long story cut really short:

During a parlay between Orks and Dwarves one ork got bored flinging his boogers and started digging in the ground looking for worms to eat. The ork triggered something opening the hall that contained a book (no one could read). Envoys were sent out to find someone who could read. Que the old half blind dwarf who spends 3 days reading the book. The old dwarf relays the basics of the book and the first game of Blood Bowl is kinda played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkson wrote:
Long story cut really short:

During a parlay between Orks and Dwarves one ork got bored flinging his boogers and started digging in the ground looking for worms to eat. The ork triggered something opening the hall that contained a book (no one could read). Envoys were sent out to find someone who could read. Que the old half blind dwarf who spends 3 days reading the book. The old dwarf relays the basics of the book and the first game of Blood Bowl is kinda played.

This is basically it in a nutshell.

Blood Bowl's world is thematically an alternate Warhammer World, which is actually an alterate Olde World Europe if we want to get really technical (you need to go back to the original Warhammer Roleplay which Warhammer Battle is/was associated with).

You can also imagine Blood Bowl has pulled a Terry Brooks/Shannara because the orcs and dwarves were having their typical knockdown drag out when they opened up a giant football stadium/football hall of fame that contains all the text books affiliated with American Football.

The ancient Dwarf who translated all the textbooks wasn't exactly fluent so instead of NFL you have the god Nuffle. Instead of the Oakland Raiders, you get the Reikland Reavers/Orkland Raiders. Dallas Cowboys becomes the Darkside Cowboys. You get the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
The novels are a good read if you want to understand the blood bowl universe. It may look like the Warhammer fantasy universe and it shares the same map but thematically it couldn't be more different.

The Warhammer fantasy universe (especially in the RPG) is extremely dark and revolves around the hopeless struggle to hold back the spread of chaos. The blood bowl universe on the other hand is silly, strange, and fun. In this universe the races of the Warhammer world never seem to fight wars anymore... Yes they still love to fight but now it's usually done on the BB pitch or in a bar room brawl. In many ways if feels more like Xanth or Discworld than the Old World you may be used to. It's an alternate universe where bloodbowl has been the main interaction between city states for so long that war no longer gets the headlines... And the heroes all wear jerseys and have sponsorship deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mermuse wrote:
...In many ways if feels more like Xanth or Discworld than the Old World you may be used to....

Yes this. For me it is Discworld meets Warhammer. I hope the new edition will keep this feel and not go to serieus. I love how all dwarfs drink beer on the pitch, how dumb the ogres are, goblins killing themselves, wizards destroying stuff and fans invading the pit (hooligans!). It's plain fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Also the banter between the game announcers is a big part of selling the mood and humor of the universe. I wish they could find a way to work that into the board game... Maybe flavor text on some cards or events? One of the dreadball expansions made miniatures for announcer characters... This could be interesting since they are such a recognizable part of the game - a bit like Waldorf and Statler in the muppet show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Talbert
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Book of Nuffle (NFL)!!!

In accordance with the book, grievances should be fought out on the pitch. Of course this doesn't make it any less of a bloody affair, but at least now there are sponsors and occasionally a head gets mistaken for the ball, but the fans like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mermuse wrote:
Also the banter between the game announcers is a big part of selling the mood and humor of the universe. I wish they could find a way to work that into the board game... Maybe flavor text on some cards or events?

The rulebook has quite a bit of banter between Jim Johnson and Bob Bifford. If you download the four drill exercises from the website, there's even more. Some of those are pretty funny. I assume you started with the video game? If so, fear not. Their funny dialogue did not originate in the electronic version of the game. They have been a staple of Blood Bowl far longer than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just you wait.
badge
There's a million things I haven't done.
mb
mermuse wrote:
Also the banter between the game announcers is a big part of selling the mood and humor of the universe. I wish they could find a way to work that into the board game... Maybe flavor text on some cards or events? One of the dreadball expansions made miniatures for announcer characters... This could be interesting since they are such a recognizable part of the game - a bit like Waldorf and Statler in the muppet show.

For more amusing fluff, the "Did You Know" segments from the rulebooks are collected here:

http://loreofnuffle.talkfantasyfootball.org/dyk_didyouknow.h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.