Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our group played through Pandemic Legacy with five players - we had our normal group of four, but whenever one player couldn't make a session, we had a dedicated "filler" player who would rotate in and out. It was with this dedicated group of five that we are playing Seafall.

Note this is a continuation of our playthrough. First session report is HERE.

We played our first game without achieving the single “unlock” milestone, so this report will cover our second game (which, technically, is the first game for most people), and our third game, which ended with one of the two “unlock” milestones being acheived. This report will be pretty spoilerific, but I’ll attempt to keep tags on anything that would affect decisions on a first time playthrough.

This next paragraph is a spoiler, but I’m not going to tag it since it involves a rule correction that I will bold.

We (erroneously) started our game with two milestones available. Even though it had been claimed in the first game, after a VERY careful review of the rule book and Captain’s Booke, we left the “An Island Revealed” milestone on the board. We were already a bit iffy on this, but the other milestones had clear instructions to record the achievement in the Historical Record and this one specifically did not; we (mistakenly) assumed this was a conscious decision on the part of the game designer and left it in. Of course, on the first turn, one player quickly sailed to the closest island (only two spaces from the harbors) and explored there. During the re-reading of the indicated entry, we quickly came to the conclusion that this might have been an error. Searching on BGG, we confirmed that this was an "oversight" and the “An Island Revealed” milestone was supposed to have been destroyed when it was achieved in our prior game; this meant that the exploring player in THIS game would not get any additional Glory, or any other rewards, benefits, or disadvantages for the milestone. Since it had already been claimed, it couldn’t be claimed again. This was a huge mistake and completely changed the outcome of the game, because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the “highest site” that had just been explored was (of course) a 6. And since it was only 2 spaces from everyone’s home harbor, the very next player sailed out and immediately raided that spot (on their first turn!), claiming the “Darkness Stirs” milestone. Had the “An Island Revealed” milestone not been mistakenly placed on the board, it would have forced us to move a little slower and the scores would have been very different.

In any case, after our only milestone had been claimed, we went along playing the game. I went into the game with a heathy 5-point lead,
and I had heard that the catchup mechanics were pretty brutal,
so I had planned on soft-pedaling this game, shooting for a second or third place finish.

For the most part, our strategies pretty much carried over from the first game. Our Lord player (who was all about raiding) continued to raid the entire map and spread enmity around. The Baron (who was buying good and then reselling them) continued his strategy. The Count (who really didn’t have a coherent strategy in the first game) went all-in on exploring. Our Duke (who was pretty much “gifted” the only milestone for this session game) took on a fairly aggressive stance and started raiding quite a bit. I was playing as Prince and (as mentioned above) was not really doing anything coherent – I was planning on playing the mechantile game, but as I found out, being ranked so high made that pretty much impossible.

I had set my eyes on a few remote goods, hoping to snatch them up, quickly return home, and then use them to buy a few upgrades, selling off the leftovers for a second trip. Unfortunately, as the Prince, I went last in the turn order and every time I went to buy a good, it was gone before my turn. Or the upgrade that I was planning on buying with a good that I did have would sell out before I could buy it.

After our second game, the scores moved around a bit, mostly driven by our milestone error. The Count (who was hoping to claim the erroneous milestone) ended in third, not changing his standings at all. The Duke (who was the lucky recipient the error - pretty much handing him 3 Glory on the first turn) became our new Prince. My initial lead from the prior game was so much that, despite a pretty dismal final score (I think I only had 5 Glory in this 12 Glory game), I managed to only slip down one rank, to Duke. The raiding Lord moved up one slot, and the merchant Baron moved down, effectively trading places.

We ended our second game by opening the first box, revealing
a whole lot of stuff: rules for us to raid each other’s ships, research cards, and new rules for exploring the unexplored oceans.

At the start of the third game, my biggest goal was to go exploring. Not being in the Prince’s seat, coupled with
an upgrade to one of my ship’s sail (speed) stat
left me in a good position to buy hard goods from a remote island and try to get a quick upgrade or two in my province on turn two before turning my eyes west.

However, my plans changed instantly when the Count (immediately to my right) performed a devastatingly bad raid on the nearest island and took two damage to his flagship. It was too juicy of a target to pass up
with ”The Sea Embraces” milestone on the table, so I quickly ran out and sank his ship for an instant 5 Glory. The resulting event was kind of cool to read, too. Unfortunately it ended up being placed right next to the Coastal Waters mega-space which is going to pretty much screw whomever is in port when the Event activates.

I immediately set my eye on a second milestone
”Trade Flourishes”. Unfortunately (for me) I didn’t notice that it could only be achieved with bonuses from Advisors; I was thinking that all I had to do was to gather the good and then sell them. A huge mistake on my part, and probably cost me the game.

Our new Lord Merchant player continued his buying and selling spree. Due to his place in the turn order he immediately grabbed one of the new Advisors,
allowing him to “teleport” home from anywhere.
Coupled with
two upgrades to his ship’s holds,
he was able to accumulate a nice stack of hard goods in his warehouse before our second Winter. At one point he had over 40 gold, plus another four five goods warehoused. Solid CONSISTENT choices of advisors and upgrades seem to really work well!

Our new Baron Raider player continued his raiding ways and his score reflected it. He slowly gained Glory from raiding and built a couple of defensive structures in his province. I suspect that might be a valid tactic later, but for now, it did not serve him well.

The new Count and I (the new Duke) started exploring to the west and discovered no less than three atolls, two islands, and several dangerous waters. The new islands
have some new symbols, which are likely tied to the “Ancient Secrets Unearthed” milestone. Sadly, the lowest exploration value on any of these is a 7, which, at this point in the game, is going to be a risky proposition for anyone. Our two new islands and “A” and “G”. Sadly, we immediately discovered that Island A has a typo on the island sticker: it has a Dangerous Waters value of 4, instead of the 3 value that is called for on the island card.

I'm really disappointed by the number of typos, "oversights" and out-and-out rules errors. If anything, this will be the thing that drives out group to stop playing the game. We are enjoying the pace, the theme and the weight. We are not enjoying plans that go awry due to rules errors and needing to keep mental track of stickers that have incorrect values!
Island G is Paradise Island, where enmity doesn’t affect prices, and I expect this will become a popular stop for most players, particularly as we move further west.
The Glory from these discoveries really helped us stay afloat <sic>.

The Prince kept up the pace by exploring the (very few) locations left on the initial four islands and raiding here and there, but kind of lost inertia as the game progressed. I suspect he was feeling a bit unhappy about his position in the turn order (as I had been in the prior game) and was playing a bit softer to move down a rank or two.

I started with a massive 5 Glory lead, and the
Pirate king
Event card came up, leading to some minor damage to one of my ships, and costing me one action/turn.

Amusingly enough, when the
Sea Embraces
Event card popped up, I was headed back to my Province. All the other players ships were scattered far and wide and it was unavoidable that I would be targeted. Another turn/action lost.

As luck would have it,
the only Advisor in the game with a Sell Goods +2 did not pop up until the very last turn before our second Winter.
He only came up at that point because of the “Whispers” Event card (that causes all Advisors with a Reputation value of one to be dismissed and replaced with new Advisors). And then Winter came and all the advisors were dismissed and replaced. At that point both the Lord Merchant and I had four goods ready to be sold. (The Lord merchant actually had no less than 12 Lumber cubes in his warehouse! This actually led to a lumber shortage in the world and several wood spaces went un-refreshed during Winter.)

After our second winter, the Lord Merchant built
an upgrade that allowed him to rotate through all of the active advisors for one gold.
After selling off half of his stock (and using an Advisor bonus), he had enough gold on hand to simply “find” the Advisor he wanted and hire him. Claiming the milestone, he started buying treasures and went from dead last to winning. In fact, just by leveraging his massive amounts of wealth, he gained 10 Glory in three turns, ending the game with 15 overall and exceeding the amount needed to win by two entire points! Again, a solidly CONSISTENT choice of Advisors and upgrades meshed to make his strategy really come together!

For myself, I was playing a “jack of all trades master of none” strategy. Between my initial 5 Glory lead, exploring several new sites in the far ocean, and judicious use of my funds and hard goods, I managed to stay in the lead up until the final turn - albeit at times I was only one or two points ahead. Had it not been for that early gift of Glory, I would have fallen far behind the curve. I don’t think this strategy will serve me moving forward. Still, I was able to use my final turn
to take advantage of one of my ”Renowned” Advisors, and launched an easy 3-point raid on a nearby island, awarding me two Glory
right at the end of the game. Overall, I finished in second with 14 Glory (out of the 13 required to end the game).

When the totals were added up, we have two players each with 30 points. Since I was the lowest rank player tied for the lead, and as much as I don’t want the role, it looks like I’m back in the Prince’s seat for the next game. Our Lord Merchant slingshotted himself from dead last to third, with only a 3 point deficit. I can see how this is going to go for at least the next few games. The Duke kept pace, but the Lord’s meteoric rise left him in the dust, bumping him down one rank. The ex-Baron, who seems to be mostly treating the game like a military conquest, is now firmly in last place, with less than 2/3rds the point total of the leader(s). At least he’s going to have
plenty of enmity against the other players due to the title bonuses. Maybe he’ll start raiding other players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hoornbeek
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy reading about other players who are in a similar stage of the game to my group, so thanks for writing this! Here are just a couple observations that may indicate some rules issues.

TheRealStupid wrote:

As luck would have it,
the only Advisor in the game with a Sell Goods +2 did not pop up until the very last turn before our second Winter.
He only came up at that point because of the “Whispers” Event card (that causes all Advisors with a Reputation value of one to be dismissed and replaced with new Advisors). And then Winter came and all the advisors were dismissed and replaced. At that point both the Lord Merchant and I had four goods ready to be sold. (The Lord merchant actually had no less than 12 Lumber cubes in his warehouse! This actually led to a lumber shortage in the world and several wood spaces went un-refreshed during Winter.)

The game is limited to 10 cubes of each resource, so how could one player have 12?

TheRealStupid wrote:

When the totals were added up, we have two players each with 30 points. Since I was the lowest rank player tied for the lead, and as much as I don’t want the role, it looks like I’m back in the Prince’s seat for the next game. Our Lord Merchant slingshotted himself from dead last to third, with only a 3 point deficit. I can see how this is going to go for at least the next few games. The Duke kept pace, but the Lord’s meteoric rise left him in the dust, bumping him down one rank. The ex-Baron, who seems to be mostly treating the game like a military conquest, is now firmly in last place, with less than 2/3rds the point total of the leader(s). At least he’s going to have
plenty of enmity against the other players due to the title bonuses. Maybe he’ll start raiding other players!

Page 21 of the rulebook says
Quote:

Re-assign titles to players based on their campaign
glory total. If there is a tie in campaign glory, the
player with the least prominent rank in this game
chooses which title they want, then the next least
prominent title, etc.

so it seems to me that you wouldn't have to pick the Prince if you were indeed the lowest rank player tied for the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Nolto
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealStupid wrote:
...When the totals were added up, we have two players each with 30 points. Since I was the lowest rank player tied for the lead, and as much as I don’t want the role, it looks like I’m back in the Prince’s seat for the next game.

If you had the lower prominence/rank, you should have been able to choose whether to take the prince role or give it to the player with whom you were tied.

This is set out in the FAQ (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1606358/captains-log-unoffi...):

Quote:
When resolving ties, the rules note that ties are broken in favor of the player with the lower title. “A good way to know if an event is "good" or "bad" is to ask the player with the highest rank if they want it to happen to them. If their face turns green, it's probably supposed to happen to them.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
crotalusman wrote:
TheRealStupid wrote:
(The Lord merchant actually had no less than 12 Lumber cubes in his warehouse! This actually led to a lumber shortage in the world and several wood spaces went un-refreshed during Winter.)
The game is limited to 10 cubes of each resource, so how could one player have 12?
Oops! I'm going from memory here, so obviously it wasn't 12 lumber. He did have more than one type of resource. I know he sold enough goods to get 42 gold in one turn and still had 4 lumber and one or two other (non-lumber) cubes left over.

crotalusman wrote:
TheRealStupid wrote:

When the totals were added up, we have two players each with 30 points. Since I was the lowest rank player tied for the lead, and as much as I don’t want the role, it looks like I’m back in the Prince’s seat for the next game.
Page 21 of the rulebook says
Quote:
Re-assign titles to players based on their campaign glory total. If there is a tie in campaign glory, the player with the least prominent rank in this game chooses which title they want, then the next least prominent title, etc.
so it seems to me that you wouldn't have to pick the Prince if you were indeed the lowest rank player tied for the lead.
THAT'S RIGHT!!

I actually came across this factoid when I was typing up my post and reported it back to my group. This led to a flurry of online searching of the FAQ and when it all settled, it was agreed that I'm NOT going to be the Prince next time around! Hooray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Well said Eric, I also enjoy these after action reports.

While I do agree that it was fortunate that one player was willing to seek out that explore 6 on Plunder Isle for me in game 2, you will note that he did pursue the exact same strategy the next game. If I recall correctly, he didn't raid that island in game 3. Most of us now had both ships at sail 3, so the Count explored the 6 on the 2nd island, hoping for a good reward from the Captain's book. It did help him and myself later
Our first gold mine, though admittedly my own gains from that gold mine employed a slightly different strategy .
The rewards on those sites did seem to pay off better, and I certainly didn't think it was a bad plan on his part the 3rd game despite lacking the added milestone incentive. The dice being the fickle things they are rewarded him by allowing him to succeed by the narrowest of margins. I'm glad Eric and I can share the frustration involved in missing a milestone due to going last.

Being the opportunistic jerk I am, I went straight to the Counts empty undefended harbor. The fact that upstart Duke sank one of his boats made him seem ideal as a target, knowing he'd need some time to repair his boat and maybe get even with the Duke too. Thanks to my handy new name "Hober Mallow The Vengeful" he lacked any enmity against me.

With the new advisors brought out for game three, it didn't look like I'd be leaving too many either. Shooting for the council room, hoping to take the renowned explorer Gordon Trevize for my own nefarious purposes, I got to roll a fist full of dice and have at it. My recall may be fallible at this hour, but it should have been 4+1+3.

Totally choking the roll, I accepted a nice dose of humility as the flagship Salvor Hardin sank while hoisting a black flag (big hint as to which advisor that was). Lord Merchant suggested naming her Johnny Depp, which I commended him on.

With the Prince and the Count floundering early on, licking their wounds, the Duke made quite the name for himself as the explorer. Many atolls have come out, and lots of reading from the book which everyone seems to enjoy. Everyone got into the act eventually, and it was only slightly awkward to raid the
Island Paradise
the Count had named after his wife.

Given the new mechanics in regards to our titles, I was all too happy to encourage the Lord and Count to get in the game and catch up. I'm happy to say the Lord Merchant didn't need much help, as his choices meant he had his milestone well in hand even if the Duke was hoping to pull off another double play with the milestones. Vengeful proved neat for managing my enmity, but once people starting seeing their own paths to victory I was sure to start researching in preparation for our next game.

It was interesting to note that a lot of ship damage cards came out this game, and some ships sank but only one due to ship to ship. Everyone must have learned it was better to do it now and risk it than let someone else steal it first. I was glad to only lose that one ship at the start, but by the end they were both listing to the side pretty heavily and focusing on research and the next game's milestone seemed like a decent plan.

Typically I'm a little less good at euro games that rely on an overall point track to win, but I've tried to avoid embracing the idea I want to be in second. Every point counts, but I was willing to lay off raiding at the end in hopes that the research deck might smooth the path
finding an ancient tomb. Seafall is pretty sneaky, but I'm guessing it's playing it straight with the 11/12 difficulty skulls on Island A.
I may not be set up as well for exploring like the 2nd and 3rd place players, but I certainly am in no mood to cede it to them.

That may sound rather competitive, but when it came to the Lord Merchant coming into his own and jumping into 3rd I felt nothing but satisfaction. When he climbs up (on golden stairs no doubt) to Dukedom, I may worry. Being completely tied at 30 left me the Prince, but the absurdly close nature of our struggle for the same goals made me think it pretty funny at the time. The extremely aggressive player didn't play it so bloody this time, but was willing to raid me for a treasure at the end. I didn't agree with his strategy (Hober Mallow The Vengeful!") but I have to give him props for getting in there and risking it. He made off with an innocent looking lady of the court I'll have to rescue for the sake of my honor, but I was happy to collect the enmity for a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.