$35.00
Moo Cow
msg tools
So far I'm just playing the scenarios to get a good grasp of the mechanics so that I can play without really needing to look things up.

It just came up in my last game that I located the villain on my first card draw. After defeating him, the next location I moved to with that character encountered a Henchman as the top card. I easily defeated him and closed the location which happened to also contain the villain. Then I went to the final location and beat him. It was a really, really quick game.

As I said, I'm just playing a scenario and putting the cards back in the box, so there's absolutely no real disadvantage to closing the locations and just moving on.

But when you start playing these adventures where you keep the decks you've built (I'm still trying to grasp how this all works), would it be beneficial at times to let the location remain open? Due to game rules, I can't leave the villain location open, but the one with the henchman, I could have let stay open to explore the deck and try to build up more cards for my deck. Is building your deck essential as you progress through adventures, or can you take them without a lot of deck tweaking? I mean - there's a chance all the boons could be garbage for your character, right? Is it playing it too risky with the timer to leave things open and look around a bit more, or is it a tactic that's sometimes necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
You've just identified one of the big decisions for the game; and I think you've got the essence of the problem. You want to explore locations for the chance to acquire beneficial boons to improve your character; but there's the Blessing Deck timer (30 turns) to consider, along with the possibility of encountering a bane your character can't handle. Heroes in larger parties generally get fewer turns, so it's more likely they can afford to discard cards for additional explores compared to smaller parties.

Officially, there's no mechanic for improving your deck outside of replaying scenarios; and losing a scenario isn't bad outside of having to play it over. Mummy's Mask introduced a marketplace mechanic allowing players to exchange cards for different ones. You could also play within the rules by keeping +1 hero along with the party, and then killing that character during the scenario to raid their hand. Replacement characters get to select the Adventure Deck number minus 2 cards, so a character like a bard could stock up on cards beneficial to multiple classes. Wash, rinse, and repeat as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is somewhat self-balancing. If you speed through several scenarios closing locations quickly, and not getting boons...well, then you'll be underpowered. At some point it will catch up to you, and you'll probably fail a scenario or two. Which will probably mean you scooped up enough boons to become adequately strong.

We rarely chose to leave locations open, but occasionally did, if we though there was a good chance we might acquire great stuff. More often, we would have to decide whether to try to acquire stuff left behind at the General Store or similar locations. Being greedy sounds good...until you run out of time and fail the scenario as a result.

For us, replaying a scenario was enough of a penalty that we often chose not to be greedy. That might not be true for everyone.

Bottom line: Don't worry about it. Rush through, or linger, as you prefer. It will all work out in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ther has been times when i find the villan and evade him, leaving the location open so i could line up my heroes better to tackle the villian. I have also choosen not to temp close a location cause i want the villian yo go there. Ie my current heroe can't close it so leaveit open for the villian to flee there and i dont have to worry about closing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are valid strategies Charles. Evading the villain so they don't flee a location can be very helpful. Sometimes it pays to avoid temporarily closing a location because the cost of closing it - like burying cards - might not be worth it.

It's also worth noting if you encounter the villain and win, you automatically close the location; but against henchmen, it's optional. A good rule of thumb is checking what boons are still available at the location and what banes remain. If there are characters available who could explore the location and acquire the boons easily, it might be worth leaving it open - just remember that you have to empty the location of all the cards before you can permanently close it because you passed on the opportunity to do so when you defeated the henchman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Lessee...

* Check the rewards for finishing the scenario. Most of them just add a card to your deck, but maybe you'll get something much better.

* Card count. I put some markers in the file section. So if you only have a few cards left in the pile and the remaining cards are cards you want, and you have plenty of time on the clock, don't close the location.

* If you don't need to close the location, send somebody who's good at defeating the henchmen and picking up the boons (eg. put a spellcaster at the Academy).

* Close the Apothecary. If you don't explore there (which is possible for most characters only if it's closed), you heal 1d6 cards. That's better than Cure.

* Have fun. The game's not so punishing that, if you decide to finish the scenario instead of beefing up your deck, you'll be at some serious disadvantage you can't overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.