Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Medium Strategy Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Macady Smith
msg tools
I recently started my own board game collection and enjoy playing them with friends and family. We love Resistance, Coup, Pandemic, Takendo, Sheriff of Nottingham, Munchkin, etc. Im looking for games that take a little bit of strategy but not too much that it confuses my much more naive friends. The hardest games we have played are probably Pandemic and Munchkin and Im afraid that if I try and find a board game on my own I will pick something much too hard. Any recommendations?

P.S.
I was very interested in Chez Geek but Im afraid it might be a little too crude for some of my younger players. Any alternatives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Light/Medium strategy & crowd pleaser board games
Running an algorithm for that players who enjoy Chez Geek may like, a few pop up:
Dominion (Second Edition)
7 Wonders
Catan
Lords of Waterdeep
King of Tokyo

All can be considered light and fun. Can't go wrong with any.
Catan is probably the game that sparked the gaming revolution
Dominion had ground breaking mechanic when it was first released
7 wonders has a lot of longevity and remains well liked despite being a 6 year old game
Ticket to Ride for you if you like route building
Lords of Waterdeep is probably my fav one of the lot right now
King of Tokyo if you like "push your luck" and dice

Also mentioned but heavier:
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Ticket to Ride: Europe is a bit more strategic, but still widely appealing. It is one of the first modern designer games I played and still one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Give Codenames, Pirate's Cove, or Diamant a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really been enjoying Kingdom Builder as a light game anyone can learn in the first play, but has a little depth. Quick turns but interesting special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
Busani Games wrote:

Looked in to Pirate's Cove and I absolutely love it! Thanks for the suggestion, I had never heard of it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Carcassonne and Stone Age

Depending on the number of players, One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a blast in a group and requires a different kind of strategy. Rounds also take on only like 10 minutes so you can play a ton of rounds and each is fun or just squeeze in a few if you are looking for something quick.

Also Catan as stated above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
Busani Games wrote:

I was looking into Pirate's Cove alot but I started getting the impression that it was more of a kids game. Has anyoneone else played the game and what are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Torrens
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Tokaido, Isla Dorada, Mice and Mystics, King of Tokyo, Bohnanza, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, Roll for the Galaxy.

If you're looking for something that's also a little goofy: Catacombs (third edition), Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre, or Dungeon Fighter

If you're wanting to stretch the boundary a little, I'd highly recommend Xia: Legends of a Drift System, Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King or Galaxy Trucker. Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King might also be an option.

We played Pirate's Cove to death, actually. It's easy to teach, but has a certain amount of depth and strategy. Fair amount of luck involved though. Definitely worth trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
KarmanMonkey wrote:
Tokaido, Isla Dorada, Mice and Mystics, King of Tokyo, Bohnanza, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, Roll for the Galaxy.

If you're looking for something that's also a little goofy: Catacombs (third edition), Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre, or Dungeon Fighter

If you're wanting to stretch the boundary a little, I'd highly recommend Xia: Legends of a Drift System, Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King or Galaxy Trucker. Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King might also be an option.

We played Pirate's Cove to death, actually. It's easy to teach, but has a certain amount of depth and strategy. Fair amount of luck involved though. Definitely worth trying.

Thanks! Im fonna start looking at these boardgames and order Pirate's Cove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
Mac345 wrote:
[q="KarmanMonkey"]Tokaido, Isla Dorada, Mice and Mystics, King of Tokyo, Bohnanza, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, Roll for the Galaxy.

Thanks! Im gonna start looking at those games and order Pirate's Cove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the stuff listed above I think

Kingdom Builder this one is fast and has a lot more strategy than it gets credit for. The expansions open up even more.
Isla Dorada lots of interaction, and good fun.
Finca a rondel mechanic and a game where new gamers can really start to explore modern boardgame strategies.

Are all great options to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.