badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The five core colours are explained as

Red = Britain
Blue = France
Yellow = Spain
Green = Portugal
Orange = Dutch

However the pre-order comes with Black and later a White counter set will be available.

Black = Prussia? No I will discount this. Prussia starts the period as a back water Duchy with no Fleet to speak of.

So lets target Sweden who theoretically could have expanded their nascent Baltic empire to the new world. Better ideas anyone?

White = Austria. While Obviously a world class power at this time I feel this would be double dipping as the Hapsburgs and Spain are really the same entity for a chunk of this period.

So lets Target Czarist Russia who are expanding onto the board from the Pacific. Any better ideas?

Would the game work as a 7 player with all the colours?

Probably with some tweaking, and an admission that the game will be much more chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think that the colors are paying tribute to the old Conquistador game that is thematically similar in nature. The colors in Conquistador were:

Green = Spain
Yellow = Portugal
Blue = France
Red = Britain
Black = German Explorers

and in the General article: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=993
Green = Spain/Portugal
Yellow = Holland
Orange(new counters in General) = Denmark

with this explanation of why Denmark:
22.3.1 Denmark actually played a small, but interesting role in the New World exploration. It explored Greenland, traded slaves to the New World and in 1625 chartered the Danish West Indian Company. Its colony in the Virgin Islands remained Danish until the 20th Century. King Christian IV was an able ruler of a prosperous state. Had warfare not diverted Denmark's energies to the continent, its presence in the West might have been much more felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that black should represent Sweden. They did go out and colonized parts of the USA. Parts of Delaware were called New Sweden, but after 17 years of New Sweden the Dutch put an end to the colony.

As far as the 7th color goes I don't know who would be a good one. Guess we will have to use Google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
How about Scotland? Nova Scotia comes to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_colonization_of_the_Am...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Any true ubergeek would I will now turn to the rulebook and in my best Simpson's comic store owner voice quote " Page 5 , the nations are;

Red: England
Blue: France
Yellow: Spain
Green: Portugal
Orange: Dutch
"

As to Nova Scotia, I thought that was a 'sop' by France to their ally Scotland for their long lasting alliance against the English. I also believe that after the 7 years war that the English forced the Arcadians (French) population of Nova Scotia to leave, many of whom fled to New Orleans. (then a French territory)

oh and PS, Berg is doing a remake of Conquistador...esentially cleaning it up and adding some "euro" to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be:

Black: Italy. The Italian city-states could have been united and easily could have sent out expeditions of discovery and trade (Portugal is smaller and less populated, but was very successful).

White: The Kingdom of Denmark (including Norway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a huge Chinese fleet about the time, but a change in emperors led to a change in policy. I read recently thatt hey were all over the Indian Ocean and the Pacific. The History Channel even suggested if not for the change in policy, the principle language of the Americas might be Mandarin today. That would be a little too weird though.

Of course, and even weirder, the extra color could be Atlantis sending out colonists from their sinking continent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Quote from 1421: The Year China Discovered the World

"...On the 8th of March, 1421, the largest fleet the world had ever seen sailed from its base in China. The ships, huge junks nearly five hundred feet long and built from the finest teak, were under the command of Emperor Zhu Di's loyal eunuch admirals. Their mission was 'to proceed all the way to the end of the earth to collect tribute from the barbarians beyond the seas' and unite the whole world in Confucian harmony. The journey would last over two years and circle the globe."

"When they returned Zhu Di lost control and China was beginning its long, self-imposed isolation from the world it had so recently embraced. The great ships rotted at their moorings and the records of their journeys were destroyed. Lost was the knowledge that Chinese ships had reached America seventy years before Columbus and circumnavigated the globe a century before Magellan. They had also discovered Antarctica, reached Australia three hundred and fifty years before Cook and solved the problem of longitude three hundred years before the Europeans..."

"In its heyday, about + 1420, the Ming navy probably outclassed that of any other Asian nation at any time in history, and would have been more than a match for that of any contemporary European State or even a combination of them. Under the Yung-Lo Emperor [Zhu Di] it consisted of some 3,800 ships in all, 1,350 patrol vessels and 1,350 combat ships attached to guard stations (wei and so) or island bases (chai), A main fleet of 400 large warships stationed at Hsin-chiang-khou near Nanking and 400 grain-transport freighters. In addition there were more than 250 long-distance ‘Treasure ships’ or galleons (Pao chuan), the average complement of which from 450 men in +1403 to over 690 in 1431 and certainly overstepped 1,000 in the largest vessels. A further 3,000 merchantmen were always ready as auxiliaries, and a host of small craft did duty as despatch-boats and police launches. But the peak of the development which had started in 1130 came in 1433, and after the great reversal of policy the navy declined much more rapidly than it had grown, so that by the middle of the +16th century almost nothing was left of its former grandeur.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls