$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Playmat Crituqes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So this is my design for a custom play mat for each player. Just something to help keep track of slotting and staying organized...



The size is 22"x8.5"... So this is actually two standard Letter sized pages side-by-side in landscape (I was also toying with the idea of making a Tabloid 11"x17" version). I've made it so the fold of the book is the exact center, so I plan to print this out on two sheets, tape them together in the back and then I can cleanly fold them and keep them in the box.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? Would there be a better layout I should follow based on people's play experience?

This is, of course, just a screen-friendly image, too small to print. But I don't plan to post this up in Files until I can get those Slot icons at a better resolution... right now, they're just screen shots from the PDF and blown up to fit (so they look like Hell). Once I figure out how to remedy that, I'll be ok to call it Final.)
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty cool spread, but the size is just a bit odd. For comparison's sake a standard playmat is about 14x24. It might be better to adhere to a size like that if you were to get this custom printed, of course if you're just using 2 pieces of paper what you did is fine!

I like the charm and style you're going for, I'd just say find a way to squeeze a threat area into it. The boxes for your assets seem pretty large, so you can probably shrink them to be just a bit bigger than the cards, and then use above it for threat. This would be much more doable if using the standard size so you can have a threat area roll across the top of the whole thing.

Overall I'm impressed, and might just steal some of your ideas to make my own!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Very cool! +1 to the threat area idea.

Personally, I like having my draw deck on my left and my discard on the right, but that might mess with the spacial economy of your design. The only other thing I'd say is that there's the possibility of having more than 1 ally (see spoiled Charisma card), more than two hands for Daisy's tomes, and I'm sure other cards will grant extra slots beyond the default. But you can't prepare for every damn thing! Good work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online sites such as CowCow and ArtsCow can print "medium bar mats" (think large mouse pad) for about $15 measuring approximately 16"(w) x 8.5"(h).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
True about needing a few more blank asset slots. I think with a little redesign you can go from having 8 to 10 or even 12. Would be beneficial for most characters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Can't Wait!

+1 for "standard" sizes

Interesting... realized just now how you have Draw above Discard, when I tend to play Draw to right of play area, Discard on the full left. Hmmm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Size:
Yeah, I plan to just print this at home, no plans on getting it printed anywhere. My new printer is capable of printing full bleed up to 11x17", so I wanna take advantage of that. =)

Threat Area:
I forgot about the Threat Area! I suppose I can just lower everything 'cause the Clues/Resources areas are taller than Health/Sanity... might have to tilt the fold-out page, but I think it's doable. Just gotta figure out how to design a threat area without just slapping in a HUD that says "|-----THREAT AREA-----|". =P

Assets:
Unfortunately, those boxes are just slightly larger than the sleeved cards, so there's really not much wiggle room. Even dropping the "book" to fit a "threat area" might clip the corner of one of the hand slots. If there're more slots in the future, I may redesign it to get rid of the token areas and add in more asset slots there, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If more slots are really necessary, maybe I'll redesign it to look more like a passport with multiple asset "stamps", for the well-traveled investigator.

Draw/Discard:
I'm with you... I typically draw on the left and discard on the right, not the play area, but just piles that sit side-by-side. Honestly, the top/bottom draw/discard thing came about simply because of available space. I had originally planned to have the draw/discard piles go below the character card, but the whole "book" concept kind of nullified that 'cause I'm also trying to keep in mind where the edges of paper will be... splitting the book in two seemed the natural choice.

Beyond that, I'm thinking of changing the book cover on the right since it's just looking really old and junky. Might swap that pen for a different one too, not sure.

I suppose player "Dashboard" would be a better name for this project than "playmat" since it's player-specific rather than laying out the whole "board".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. I would end up print and playing this rather than have a third party make it, so abnormal sizing doesn't. Other me. That said, the critifque abotnocersized assets space and undersized threat space is valid and i agree.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, so here's round 2...

I was trying to figure out a way to fit in the Threat Area, but pushing everything down really felt (and looked) forced. Then I remembered watching an interview or something with the game developers and how they designed the cards to enhance the immersion experience by having enemy portraits be on the bottom instead of the top, so they feel closer, more threatening.

So instead of designing a forced area called "Threat"... I tried to indicate visually generally that bad things are coming from above... What do you guys think? Does it work? If so, I'll clean up the new graphics a little more, as it was a rushed job.


Also made it a little larger so it might be easier to see.

Since it's more of a Player Dashboard to help organize information and keep track of things, rather than a playmat that more-or-less teaches you how to play... I didn't really feel the need to actually put any text saying "^---Threat Area--^".

Thoughts?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I love it. I would end up print and playing this rather than have a third party make it, so abnormal sizing doesn't. Other me. That said, the critifque abotnocersized assets space and undersized threat space is valid and i agree.


I assume you mean "oversized" assets space? =) Unfortunately, those boxes are just barely larger than the cards in sleeves... here's how the cards fit:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to have an average of two assets out a game, so I'd really like to find a way to have the mat fit some more assets. I know that the seam is in between the two sheets, but I wonder if it might be better to have one arcane slot to the right of the seam and then shift the upper row to the right two columns, so that the ally slot was directly above the right arcane slot. You'd of course reclaim some of the space on the right sheet to allow this new column to fit. That would then allow for 3 assets to be placed on the far left of the first sheet. (You could even rearrange stuff so that the hand slots were directly above the arcane slots to better have the single slotted stuff grouped together on the left and paired stuff on the right.)

I don't mind the threat area being a space above the mat. I think that's a fine design decision.

Anyhow, I really like the look of this. You did an amazing job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ericdrum wrote:
I seem to have an average of two assets out a game, so I'd really like to find a way to have the mat fit some more assets. I know that the seam is in between the two sheets, but I wonder if it might be better to have one arcane slot to the right of the seam and then shift the upper row to the right two columns, so that the ally slot was directly above the right arcane slot. You'd of course reclaim some of the space on the right sheet to allow this new column to fit. That would then allow for 3 assets to be placed on the far left of the first sheet. (You could even rearrange stuff so that the hand slots were directly above the arcane slots to better have the single slotted stuff grouped together on the left and paired stuff on the right.)

I don't mind the threat area being a space above the mat. I think that's a fine design decision.

Anyhow, I really like the look of this. You did an amazing job.


If you haven't had more than two assets out at a time, why would you need more space? I assume you mean assets that aren't slotted (are there any...?) I haven't yet had the chance to play yet =( )? Hmmm...

I grouped the arcane slots together because I read somewhere that some arcane assets occupy both slots (like a two-handed asset)... so I wanted the option to drop a single card between the two slots for doubles. But if it makes more sense to have empty asset slots than token slots, 8 can just do a full spread for the assets and tokens just go on the investigator card like normal... thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's talent assets that don't take up a slot. As much as I like the icons, it may be for the best to drop them and just have 8 asset slots. I don't think I personally had more than 5-6 in play for a character, and that seemed excessive and towards the end of a scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
ericdrum wrote:
I seem to have an average of two assets out a game, so I'd really like to find a way to have the mat fit some more assets. I know that the seam is in between the two sheets, but I wonder if it might be better to have one arcane slot to the right of the seam and then shift the upper row to the right two columns, so that the ally slot was directly above the right arcane slot. You'd of course reclaim some of the space on the right sheet to allow this new column to fit. That would then allow for 3 assets to be placed on the far left of the first sheet. (You could even rearrange stuff so that the hand slots were directly above the arcane slots to better have the single slotted stuff grouped together on the left and paired stuff on the right.)

I don't mind the threat area being a space above the mat. I think that's a fine design decision.

Anyhow, I really like the look of this. You did an amazing job.


If you haven't had more than two assets out at a time, why would you need more space? I assume you mean assets that aren't slotted (are there any...?) I haven't yet had the chance to play yet =( )? Hmmm...

I grouped the arcane slots together because I read somewhere that some arcane assets occupy both slots (like a two-handed asset)... so I wanted the option to drop a single card between the two slots for doubles. But if it makes more sense to have empty asset slots than token slots, 8 can just do a full spread for the assets and tokens just go on the investigator card like normal... thoughts?


As supermarino stated, there are assets that don't take up slots and that's what I was referring to. On average, I have about two of those types of assets out in every game. In my current playthrough, each character has exactly two out at the moment.

I think the idea of having a version with no icons on the slots is a pretty damn good idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gotcha, I see your point. I'll try to come up with something...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okaaay... it's bed time for me, but I couldn't get to sleep without working more on this. =)

This thing now fits 10 assets...


And this is how the cards fit:


Thoughts? I feel like the space for the tokens is big enough (considering the size of a card relative to the space available for each token type), but I won't really know for sure until I print it out, I guess.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Fantasy Flight have already announced (but you might be avoiding)...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
... permanent improvement cards that give you an extra ally slot http://arkhamdb.com/card/02158


PS - I like the tentacles
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's ok, heh, still leaves two asset slots open. =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow amazing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, just make more space between the cards. Make it bigger overall.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
Annowme wrote:
I love it. I would end up print and playing this rather than have a third party make it, so abnormal sizing doesn't. Other me. That said, the critifque abotnocersized assets space and undersized threat space is valid and i agree.


I assume you mean "oversized" assets space? =) Unfortunately, those boxes are just barely larger than the cards in sleeves... here's how the cards fit:

Ha, typing on phones late at night is hard. I'd ditch the tentacles, or provide a copy with and without them for preference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fine. I personally would go to separate player mat, That includes player card, draw and discard deck and tokens. And separate accessory mat that would include those asset slots. First those standard ones and then Empty extra slots for upcoming upgrades and special cases like that librarian with big bag to the totems.

Ps I personally like those tentacles! They Are nice!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is there a configuration for printing this playmat at Inked Playmats at all?

I have not looked one lick so forgive me if it's obvious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
Is there a configuration for printing this playmat at Inked Playmats at all?

I have not looked one lick so forgive me if it's obvious.


Sorry, no, there's not another print configuration. I made this specifically to be two letter-sized pages side by side in landscape orientation so I could just print at home (my new printer can print full bleed).

Sounds like I'm at a good finishing point with what I can fit. Once I figure out a way to get higher resolution slot icons, I'll upload print resolution files to the Files section (and post link here).

Thanks, all! You've been a big help. =) Will have to print this out and test it to figure out how to make it work better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
Ok, so here's round 2...

I was trying to figure out a way to fit in the Threat Area, but pushing everything down really felt (and looked) forced. Then I remembered watching an interview or something with the game developers and how they designed the cards to enhance the immersion experience by having enemy portraits be on the bottom instead of the top, so they feel closer, more threatening.

So instead of designing a forced area called "Threat"... I tried to indicate visually generally that bad things are coming from above... What do you guys think? Does it work? If so, I'll clean up the new graphics a little more, as it was a rushed job.


Also made it a little larger so it might be easier to see.

Since it's more of a Player Dashboard to help organize information and keep track of things, rather than a playmat that more-or-less teaches you how to play... I didn't really feel the need to actually put any text saying "^---Threat Area--^".

Thoughts?


This is my favorite version so far. I would suggest that instead of adding additional spaces for assets that have no limits, do something at the bottom like you did for the threat area.

& if you want to make it compatible with all the people wanted it printed professionally, add 5.5 inches to the bottom for this idea. You'll need to att 2 inches to the sides as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.