$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Automobiles: Racing Season» Forums » News

Subject: Is this part of the Destination Fun Expansion for Planes, Trains and Automobiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Davies
United States
Portland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is what the Destination Fun expansion has please tell me it will be available separately. $79.99 is too much for a box of 3 expansions and I only have 1 and have no interest in any of the others. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentdavies wrote:
If this is what the Destination Fun expansion has please tell me it will be available separately. $79.99 is too much for a box of 3 expansions and I only have 1 and have no interest in any of the others. soblue

Yah I hope so. Same boat as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains has pretty good reviews, but I'm not sure that I want it.

Planes sadly doesn't seem to have very good reviews.

Automobiles is one of my favorite games of this year!

Lumping all three together seems like a good way to force people to buy what they don't want (more money) or not buy any at all (less money). Will the profits even out in the end?

Anyway, it's not cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at that description of the "Destination Fun Combo Pack" on Meeple Mart, it contains Trains: Coastal Tides Expansion, Planes Round Trip Expansion and Automobiles Racing Season Expansion. However, I cannot believe for one minute that the expansions won't also be available separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Looking at that description of the "Destination Fun Combo Pack" on Meeple Mart, it contains Trains: Coastal Tides Expansion, Planes Round Trip Expansion and Automobiles Racing Season Expansion. However, I cannot believe for one minute that the expansions won't also be available separately.

Definitely hope so. I'd definitely be in for the Trains (more 2p maps!) and Automobiles expansions, but I refuse to pay extra for the Plains content I'd never touch except to throw in the trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Definitely hope so. I'd definitely be in for the Trains (more 2p maps!) and Automobiles expansions, but I refuse to pay extra for the Plains content I'd never touch except to throw in the trash.

If they don't sell them seperately, you could probably sell the Planes module to someone who only wants that one.

I'd do that with the non-Automobiles modules if I end of having to buy all 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Davies
United States
Portland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

If they don't sell them seperately, you could probably sell the Planes module to someone who only wants that one.

I am sure I could sell Trains but have not met anyone who likes Planes blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentdavies wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I've not even met anyone who owns one! Even AEG have said it wasn't their best move for the life of the series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had a reply back from AEG

AEG wrote:
Hello Andy,

At present, there are no plans to sell the different expansions separately. It is likely, however, that future expansions will not be bundled like this.

Sorry I don't have better news!

Thank you!

:-( This a not good news, I only want the Automobiles bit of the expansion, I possibly could sell the trains part (I own Trains and Rising Sun but have not played it for a long time, I'd rather play Automobiles) and like others have said I do not know anyone who has played "Planes" let alone own it.

I don't think I will be buying the expansion unless I know I can split the cost.

Bundles like this are a bizarre move, I think Alea did a similar expansion bundle along time back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peltazoid wrote:

AEG wrote:
Hello Andy,

At present, there are no plans to sell the different expansions separately. It is likely, however, that future expansions will not be bundled like this.

Thank you!

:-( This a not good news, I only want the Automobiles bit of the expansion, I possibly could sell the trains part (I own Trains and Rising Sun but have not played it for a long time, I'd rather play Automobiles) and like others have said I do not know anyone who has played "Planes" let alone own it.

I don't think I will be buying the expansion unless I know I can split the cost.

Bundles like this are a bizarre move, I think Alea did a similar expansion bundle along time back.
That's a really frickin' stupid idea! Compounding the error of publishing Planes as part of the series. Well, I have Trains, Trains: Rising Sun and Automobiles, but I'm not sure that I want to pay a premium for getting two expansions that I really want, just 'cos AEG made a misstep in bundling three expansions together into a premium priced package. I think I'll wait until it hits the remainder bin at $30 somewhere around Christmas 2017
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
peltazoid wrote:

AEG wrote:
Hello Andy,

Thank you!

That's a really frickin' stupid idea! Compounding the error of publishing Planes as part of the series. Well, I have Trains, Trains: Rising Sun and Automobiles, but I'm not sure that I want to pay a premium for getting two expansions that I really want, just 'cos AEG made a misstep in bundling three expansions together into a premium priced package. I think I'll wait until it hits the remainder bin at $30 somewhere around Christmas 2017

And when it doesn't sell well the bean counters will look at it and decide that none of the 3 base games need to have any more expansions because there's just not enough demand for them shake This bundle is a giant jar of dumb, and that might be on the charitable side.

If they insist on the bundle I'll be happy to wait for it to hit bargain bin prices as well. Such a shame. I would have been willing to pick up both the Trains and Automobiles expansions on Day 1 if sold separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
peltazoid wrote:

AEG wrote:
Hello Andy,

Thank you!

And when it doesn't sell well the bean counters will look at it and decide that none of the 3 base games need to have any more expansions because there's just not enough demand for them shake This bundle is a giant jar of dumb, and that might be on the charitable side.

If they insist on the bundle I'll be happy to wait for it to hit bargain bin prices as well. Such a shame. I would have been willing to pick up both the Trains and Automobiles expansions on Day 1 if sold separately.
Yeah, it'll be bad if this signals/causes the "end of the line" for these two great games (Trains and Automobiles in case there's doubt). I too would have auto-bought separate expansions for Trains and Automobiles. I added the expansion for Automobiles to 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2017 --- Nominations are CLOSED, but now I'm considering starting up a "Most Anticipated Arrival in the Bargain Bin - 2017" GeekList. Possibly a "Really Stupid Marketing Decisions - 2017" GeekList too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play Planes, the more I've come to enjoy it, and with a thick stack of Trains boards, I welcome some new content for the others, but I'm excited for the whole package.

Just felt that the silent majority didn't need to be so silent. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
The more I play Planes, the more I've come to enjoy it, and with a thick stack of Trains boards, I welcome some new content for the others, but I'm excited for the whole package.

Just felt that the silent majority didn't need to be so silent. :-)
Fair enough - and I'm glad that you enjoy Planes. Do you have Automobiles too? For me it seems that these are all quite reasonably hefty expansions and that putting them in a box together bumps up the price significantly - especially for those that don't have all three games in the series. I would understand if there was a "discount for bulk" option for buying the combo but that the expansions were available separately at a higher "per expansion" price, but this way just seems crazy to me. I really will pick it up only if it ends up in remainder bins 'cos $80 is too steep for 2/3 of the content - and I'm a massive fan of expansions and I really love both Trains and Automobiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just stupid... Don't understand how anyone in AEG thinks this was a good idea...

I own Automobiles and was very excited to get the expansion...

I own Trains and the expansions and was so-so on getting a new expansion...

I don't own Planes and won't be buying it...

By bundling these 3 expansions together and putting a MRSP of $79.99 is one of the most stupid things I've ever seen...

I won't be buying this at retail price and if it takes too long for it to get discounted I will consider selling my copy of Automobiles because if I can't get the expansion that I want for a reasonable price I see no point in keeping the base game since this strategy from AEG prevents me from getting more stuff for a game that I like a lot but needs to be expanded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually gave in and bought Planes and Trains because I know I will need to pick this expansion up when it comes out because I love Automobiles so much.

They were on sale at Miniature Market. Planes was only $14, while the two Trains games were $25 and $26. I have low expectations for Planes, but I hope the Trains games are fun.

I wasn't going to buy these at full price, though. If I like neither of them, I will be bitter at AEG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
I actually gave in and bought Planes and Trains because I know I will need to pick this expansion up when it comes out because I love Automobiles so much.

They were on sale at Miniature Market. Planes was only $14, while the two Trains games were $25 and $26. I have low expectations for Planes, but I hope the Trains games are fun.

I wasn't going to buy these at full price, though. If I like neither of them, I will be bitter at AEG.
It's not impossible that you'll dislike Trains/Rising Sun, but if you like deck-builders at all and you have a need for a game that plays in 45-60 minutes with 4 players and has massive replayability, I think you will like it. It's one of the fastest-playing games I have (not the shortest, just the fastest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:

I bought Planes as well.

I didn't get Trains because it's basically Dominion with a board. I figure I can sell the Trains expansion easily enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
KevinMask wrote:

I bought Planes as well.

I didn't get Trains because it's basically Dominion with a board. I figure I can sell the Trains expansion easily enough.
Sure, Trains is "Dominion with a board" in the same way that "Planes is Mancala". Classic dismissive analysis based on reductio ad absurdum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
KevinMask wrote:

I bought Planes as well.

Sure, Trains is "Dominion with a board" in the same way that "Planes is Mancala". Classic dismissive analysis based on reductio ad absurdum.

Or it's called I don't like Dominion, so I wouldn't like Trains because it's functionally equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
KevinMask wrote:

I bought Planes as well.

Or it's called I don't like Dominion, so I wouldn't like Trains because it's functionally equivalent.
So you don't like any deck-builders? Or any games with the deck-building mechanism? Fair enough - it would have been less trollish and more even-handed to declare that you don't like deckbuilders. Though of course Automobiles is just a deck-builder too. In fact, it's just a deckbuilder with a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
KevinMask wrote:

I bought Planes as well.

So you don't like any deck-builders? Or any games with the deck-building mechanism? Fair enough - it would have been less trollish and more even-handed to declare that you don't like deckbuilders. Though of course Automobiles is just a deck-builder too. In fact, it's just a deckbuilder with a board.

I very much like deck builders. Just not Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
KevinMask wrote:

I bought Planes as well.

I very much like deck builders. Just not Dominion.
OK, I get that. Why is Trains in particular "just Dominion with a board"? Do you know this from experience, or are you echoing shorthand descriptions that have been bandied about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
kentdavies wrote:

I like all three games --including Planes. I think Planes is an excellent game --its just quite different from Trains or Automobiles and I think it suffers from an expectation that it would somehow be similar to Trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
The bundle idea is a bit weird, but since it's a series and since I do own all three games, I'm fine with it. It reminds me of the Alea Treasure Chest, but with a few full expansions instead of several mini ones, and at 3x the cost.

For all the Planes haterz, I've actually playtested some of the Planes expansion stuff and, in my opinion, it adds some very cool tweaks and makes card-play much more prominent, improving the overall fun. I think folks who weren't crazy about the original might get drawn in by this one. Plus, even though this is an "expansion", I believe you can play with just the new components as long as you can provide the cubes (which is easy enough if you own Trains or Automobiles) and something in place of the orange cones. You'd be missing out on the cards and maps from the base game, but you can at least try out the new content. At 3-4 players, the smaller deck might get thin, but if you end up liking it then you can hunt down a cheap copy of the base game to add the additional cards and maps to play with the expansion improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.