Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Keller
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules thoroughly 3 times now and can't answer one significant question and another curiosity. First the question - I can't find anywhere where it says where to start the 5 cities at on the city status chart prior to the start of the game? i.e. do they all start at the bottom of the chart at 3 or do they start at different spots that everyone else can seem to figure out other than me?

My understanding is that only artists are kept at the end of a century and that ALL city tiles are returned to the board to be re-purchaced in subsequent decades. If this is correct, what is the point of buying up the city tiles in the first and second decades since the victory points aren't calculated until the end of the 3rd decade? I haven't played yet, but my understanding is that a city tile is ATLEAST 2x+1 the cost of the city's value. Let's say a city is at 4 then a city tile could cost 9 or even more in gold so that I can collect 2 gold or 2 influence at the end of the 1st or 2nd decade. Seems like a bad deal for me. Sounds like I'd want to buy armies, treachery and artists (the 2 merchants) in the first 2 centuries and then go hogwild on city tiles in the 3rd century.

This has got to be wrong. Please help me see the error of my ways.

Plus, one more curiosity....can a given player own more than one type of military, i.e. can a certain player possess 3 artilery and 2 calvary? It seems like you should be able to, but just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance to the saint that can help me out here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yoo
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:I'm a dolt and I need HELP
nomadbrad (#24888),

First of all, you're not a dolt. Yes I've been there - my first attempt to play this game was ruined by the fact that the first edition(print) of this game has typo on the board. They lack the city starting points. I can't belive Warfrog did it again.

Here are the starting points : Venice 7, Florence/Milan 6, Rome/Naples 5.

Second, you don't return your city tiles. I guess you're suggesting this from the line "Return all special action city tiles to their normal facing". What this line means is that you should turn all the used tiles 90 degrees back. The rulebook says you'd better turn them 90 degrees when you use their special abilities to note that they are used - they can be used only once in a decade.

Third, I see no restrictions regarding to the number of types of army tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ntrolls (#24889),
Check out the official errata at http://www.warfrog.co.uk/PotRerrata.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keller
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both Shin and Brad. Big help. I went to the Errata and found the following posted. I'm pasting this directly off of War Frog's Errata:

STARTING POSITIONS Venice - 7, Milan and Florence - 6, Rome and Naples - 5.

TROOP TILES A player may only own a maximum of one of each type of Troop tile.

SWISS MERCENARIES The +1 modifier applies to both the defence and attack of a Pike unit.

EVENT TILES More than one Event tile can be placed in a City box.

Just a note: I've read some other postings regarding the elimination of the strategy for the warmongers. I guess I don't see the point of restricting purchase of army types. Atleast in my first gaming session with my group this afternoon we're going to toss that one out.

I'm so happy for this forum to help dummies like me to figure out the game. PotR looks to become an ALLTIME classic and favorite in my game closet.

Thanks again guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yoo
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 (#24891),

Thank you for pointing that out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Lauritzen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomadbrad (#24894),

I think not being able to buy more than one cannon etc properly creates the feel of the game. The other way, there's really nothing going on in the first part of the game besides each player taking turns buying up all the troop tiles so they don't get stuck w/o an army. I.e. it isn't if you buy a cannon it's when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.