9 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question of private building 1b rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei-Chun Hsu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
The ability of private building 1b is to make the player discard an objective card to advance certificate. Can a player discard the objective card already played near the player board to activate this function?
The rule doesn't particularly point out that it should be the objective card from the hand. Need official clarification. Thank you.
BTW, this is really a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We decided that the term discard means that it must come out of your hand. It's kind of a weird building to use IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is my take on the rule. If the objective card is already played and in your personal objective area it's no longer in your hand to be discarded (which would result in it being out in the discard pile for future play). So simply put Imwould say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamtak0815 wrote:
Can a player discard the objective card already played near the player board to activate this function?
The rule doesn't particularly point out that it should be the objective card from the hand.

Well, there is this text on page 10
Quote:
Thee most frequent requirement is discarding cards. Wherever an action shows one or more cards with a red arrow, you must discard the exact depicted card(s) from your hand to your face-up personal discard pile in order to gain the reward shown next to it. (As mentioned before, you can perform the action only once, no matter how can you can meet the requirement.)

Additionally, page 15 says:
Quote:
Note: You are not compelled to play your objective cards. If you want, you can keep some or all of them in your deck by the usual means (for example, by discarding them via this icon (draw one, discard one icon)). For each objective card that is still in your deck at the end of the game, you may then decide if you want to score it or not. For the cards placed in your personal objective area, you do not have that choice. Those must be scored.
Page 16 describes the final scoring process as
Quote:
decide whether she wants to remove it from the game or add it to her personal objective area now (without using its immediate action).

I hope that helps. By the way, is there a reference to discarding objective cards that were placed in your objective area? I haven't found any, but perhaps I missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Chun Hsu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
It seems quite clear from the rule you providing.
The objective card already played can't be used and discarded to get this bonus. Thank you for dedicated and nice description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iamtak0815 wrote:
The objective card already played can't be used and discarded to get this bonus.

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a strategic reason why you would ever take objective cards that you never intend to play? Maybe just to feed the building that makes you discard objectives? But then, isn't your herd smaller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Is there a strategic reason why you would ever take objective cards that you never intend to play?

To prevent an opponent from taking it is a pretty good reason; this usually happens late in the game so it possibly won't even come back into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Espejo Vigil
United Kingdom
Guildford
flag msg tools
NikolasCo wrote:
For each objective card that is still in your deck at the end of the game, you may then decide if you want to score it or not. For the cards placed in your personal objective area, you do not have that choice. Those must be scored.

Wow, this bit actually enlightened me. So you CAN score objectives in your deck too. Playing them basically thins your deck and gives you the additional action on the top left in exchange for the possibility of scoring negative points. I missed this!

It now makes sense to pick up some objectives in the last few turns, whereas I thought I had to empty my deck, reshuffle and be lucky to get to play them.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.