United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IN WHICH...

...A ship is sent to the sea's embrace
...Ancient secrets are unearthed
...And we emerge from darkness unscathed

So my group was FINALLY able to get together and play Seafall again this weekend! We began with a recap of new rules previously unlocked (and reminders about claiming plunder and glory). Unfortunately, this time the game felt long and boring to some (and part of this was on me, as will be seen).

As before, spoilers will NOT be tagged in this report, so continue reading at your own risk!

As we begin the game, Princess Dot is concerned that another province will attempt to claim a milestone by sinking one of her ships before she can even begin sailing. Fortunately, the Lord Dexter of R'lyeh had already left some permanent enmity on her province, and so decided to seek glory against Duchess Talina of Prenderthale instead.

With that bullet dodged, she assessed the remaining milestones. She's left too much of her own enmity around the nearby islands to have any hope of selling four goods of the same type*. The only other milestone remaining requires finding an Ancient Tomb on an as-yet-undiscovered island. With this hope in mind, she hired on a Navigator** by the name of Ray Tracer for later use. For the turn, she took advantage of the Smooth Seas to sail toward the west, while raising some tax revenue.

On the next turn, the oracles espied Good Omens, improving the odds of our explorations. It was time for Ray to do his work. Being Adventurous, Dot was able to perform research while he sailed into uncharted waters (discovering a current, which he followed) and discovered a new island (Island H). The natives were insistent that we not fight in their waters, but we were able to convince them of our good intentions.

After this, Dot hired and immediately employed Mr. Edwards (The Thug**). The Seas were Smooth once again and Mr. Edwards was able to "purchase" some goods from Moreax, in spite of our previous hostilities. (I am certain he is a legitimate businessman).

At this point, the Pirate King began to Demand Respect. Fortunately, the province of R'lyeh was the clear target for his demands. Princess Dot hired a Master Thief** named Mouse (primarily for the purpose of keeping her out of trouble), and ordered her ships home to be upgraded (The Saucy Mare becomes Enduring).

On the following turn, the Pirate Kind Demanded Gold. Again, our Princess was not at risk of becoming his target. She employed Welman (The Renowned Builder, held from Game 2) to build a Gun Tower in our most glorious site and upgrade the SS Doyle (Nimble).

As our ships sailed out once more under cover of Fog, Dot chose to employ Mouse to improve her tax-collection ability.

At the turn of the year, there was a sense of Opulence, though none of the provinces seemed able to take advantage. After a great feast, all of the advisors to the realm were refreshed, and happy to take on additional missions. Despite having quite the Council already, Princess Dot chose to hire Mr. Andrews (The Helmsman**). He would have to wait to act, however, as Ray Tracer was employed on another Adventurous expedition to research and explore one of the more dangerous sites at Satellite Island. This proved to be a lucrative choice, the site of an ancient tomb! Dot's ability to research was permanently improved by these early discoveries, in addition to a boatload of glory and another chest unlock.

On the following turn, Mr. Andrews was able to successfully navigate a Drafty Room within the newly-discovered tomb (taking no damage, to complete yet another milestone) and found great riches and a wealth of charts and maps within. The game was sealed, Mainframe had won again.

--

*Okay, so unfortunately, at least two of the players at the table were aiming for the "Sell 4 goods of the same type at once" milestone. This was quite frustrating for them, as none of the advisors we drew was able to sell +2 goods (turns out there was maybe one in the entire advisor deck). There were also comments about the game being long (which is okay) and boring (which isn't). At least some of this is due to me spending two turns in a row hogging the Captain's Booke with milestones and choices and logging the milestones and opening a chest and...

** These advisors (and all the others we saw from box 1) are absurdly strong (though costly).

So, hopefully next game will be better. They're all going to get at least four bonuses from title cards (one of them gets six). One of the two players has upgraded an advisor to be able to sell four goods, and the other has something like four saved research cards, so hopefully there will be more awesome stuff happening for people besides me (and hopefully for me, too, but if they all decide to burn my stuff to the ground and salt the earth I probably don't get to complain).

Also, I hope this session report is more entertaining than the last, because I tried to reread that one and it kind of stank.

Thanks for reading,
-Lactamaeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
For the turn, she took advantage of the Smooth Seas

lactamaeon wrote:
The Seas were Smooth once again

AND
lactamaeon wrote:
At this point, the Pirate King began to Demand Respect.

lactamaeon wrote:
On the following turn, the Pirate Kind Demanded Gold.

I'm not sure you are using the Event deck correctly.

According to my read of the rules, the current Event card is "dismissed" (returned to the bottom of the Event deck) at the end of each round. And a new Event is drawn at the start of every round. This means that once an Event card is drawn, you will never see it again until either:
1. The entire Event deck has cycled (unlikely),
2. A new Event card is added to the Event deck, triggering a reshuffle of the Event deck (except for the active Event card), or
3. After at least one Winter phase, where the entire Event deck is shuffled.

Your writeup implies that at least twice you had the same Event card come up within a few turns of each other, which seems... dubious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am certain we are playing the event deck correctly.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

We assumed there were multiple copies of the Smooth Seas event in the deck. It came up multiple times in earlier games as well.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A milestone unlock instructed us to destroy "a" Smooth Seas card late in the game. We did.

It feels odd to double spoiler this after not spoiling anything in the report, but also feels right.

Also, there are two different pirate events (at least). One demands respect, the other demands gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed possible for the events to legitimately come up as described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bass
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealStupid wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:
For the turn, she took advantage of the Smooth Seas

lactamaeon wrote:
The Seas were Smooth once again

AND
lactamaeon wrote:
At this point, the Pirate King began to Demand Respect.

lactamaeon wrote:
On the following turn, the Pirate Kind Demanded Gold.

I'm not sure you are using the Event deck correctly.

According to my read of the rules, the current Event card is "dismissed" (returned to the bottom of the Event deck) at the end of each round. And a new Event is drawn at the start of every round. This means that once an Event card is drawn, you will never see it again until either:
1. The entire Event deck has cycled (unlikely),
2. A new Event card is added to the Event deck, triggering a reshuffle of the Event deck (except for the active Event card), or
3. After at least one Winter phase, where the entire Event deck is shuffled.

Your writeup implies that at least twice you had the same Event card come up within a few turns of each other, which seems... dubious.

The game starts with multiple Smooth Seas event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
Interesting. So you unlocked Box 1, and then 3? Cool, unfortunately that means i must pause reading your reports, we unlocked 1 and 2, but not 3.

Check back in after a few more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.