SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding Rule 21 (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher lennon
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rule 21 says
"if you take no damage, take the card and any structures and goods on the card".
Does this mean that the colony is now yours (from this game on) until someone conquers it from you? I assume it does but we have some people in my group who disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you take the colony. Notice that they have to spend six enmity tokens to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would these people claim is the value of taking the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
You have to give 6 enmity to conquer a colony? Where is that referenced? And once conquered do you keep it from game to game until conquered from you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognar wrote:
You have to give 6 enmity to conquer a colony? Where is that referenced?

Don't have the rule in front of me, but I think Rule 21 says something like "place a number of enmity tokens equal to the defense of the colony"

Quote:
And once conquered do you keep it from game to game until conquered from you?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about this:

If a player has exactly 6 enmity tokens in their reserve and they conquer a colony, they must place all 6 tokens on the colony's defence icon. But all active colonies require the owner to place a enmity token on the island space on the board. Which of the following is true?

A. A player with 6 enmity tokens cannot conquer another player's colony, because they require 7 total enmity tokens - 6 to conquer the colony and 1 to show that it is active and controlled.
B. A player with 6 enmity tokens may conquer another player's colony and places the 6 tokens on the colony. The colony remains active and the former owner keeps their enmity token on the island space on the board.
C. A player with 6 enmity tokens may conquer another player's colony and places the 6 tokens on the colony. The colony remains active and the former owner returns their enmity token to the province board.
D. A player with 6 enmity tokens may conquer another player's colony and places the 6 tokens on the colony. The colony becomes inactive and must be activated in a future turn when the new owner has an available enmity token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
firearmed wrote:
Question about this:

If a player has exactly 6 enmity tokens in their reserve and they conquer a colony, they must place all 6 tokens on the colony's defence icon. But all active colonies require the owner to place a enmity token on the island space on the board. Which of the following is true?

A. A player with 6 enmity tokens cannot conquer another player's colony, because they require 7 total enmity tokens - 6 to conquer the colony and 1 to show that it is active and controlled.
B. A player with 6 enmity tokens may conquer another player's colony and places the 6 tokens on the colony. The colony remains active and the former owner keeps their enmity token on the island space on the board.
C. A player with 6 enmity tokens may conquer another player's colony and places the 6 tokens on the colony. The colony remains active and the former owner returns their enmity token to the province board.
D. A player with 6 enmity tokens may conquer another player's colony and places the 6 tokens on the colony. The colony becomes inactive and must be activated in a future turn when the new owner has an available enmity token.

The answer is D, according to another thread. Someone got an email from Daviau (the designer) clarifying this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
I have shot off an email to Rob with these questions regarding Rule 21. I don't THINK this situation is QUITE addressed by the info in this thread, so I am appending it here. Anyone is welcome to chime in if you've got a handle on this situation, and I'll post any reply I get on here as well.

Quote:
Rule 21 states to place enmity tokens equal to the Defense on the Defense number. As far as I know, all colonies are 6 defense. So I know I'm dealing with 6 enmity to take a colony.

Situation/Question 1: I am the Count and have received an enmity at the start from the Princess, so it is in my AT WAR box. I have 2 colonies which I activate, leaving me with 6 remaining. I want to attack and take the Princess's colony. Assuming my attack is successful, how is the enmity payment resolved?
1.Do I pay 6 of my own enmity, bypassing the 1 in my AT WAR even though normally you first return it? Meaning now I can't activate it since I'm out of tokens?
2.Do I pay 5 of my own enmity, return her 1 enmity, leaving me with exactly one and therefore I CAN activate the colony?
3.Or, do I actually place her 1 enmity token and 5 of mine on the DEFENSE value (that's 6 total, and Rule 21 doesn't say specifically place YOUR enmity tokens) leaving me 1 to activate it.

Situation/Question 2: Same situation, but how does using the PIRATE or the PATRIOT change this outcome?
1.Would the PIRATE let me conquer it for 4 enmity, since she reduces enmity by 2?
2.Would the PATRIOT (since I am lower ranked AND AT WAR) let me conquer her colony for a SINGLE enmity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it's number 2.

For the second situation, yes. The pirate would allow you to conquer by giving her enmity back, then 3 more. And with the Patriot, you'd only give hers back.

The rule about placement is to show that it's been raided and can't be raided again, so now that if you took it with the Patriot, it could potentially be stolen back from YOU before winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
Received my reply from Rob Daviau, posting his email reply here.

Quote:

Quote:
I've got 2 fairly specific questions relating to Rule 21 about conquering a colony. Usually we're pretty good and agreeable about adjudicating anything ambiguous, but I think this is a fairly critical point and having an "official answer" from you would set my mind at ease and an email reply from you would end any and all debate on the issue.

Sorry about the vagueness. Hard to get all the rules into such small stickers and I was a bit overambitious there.

Quote:
Rule 21 states to place enmity tokens equal to the Defense on the Defense number. As far as I know, all colonies are 6 defense. So I know I'm dealing with 6 enmity to take a colony.

Situation/Question 1: I am the Count and have received an enmity at the start from the Princess, so it is in my AT WAR box. I have 2 colonies which I activate, leaving me with 6 remaining. I want to attack and take the Princess's colony. Assuming my attack is successful, how is the enmity payment resolved?
1.Do I pay 6 of my own enmity, bypassing the 1 in my AT WAR even though normally you first return it? Meaning now I can't activate it since I'm out of tokens?
2.Do I pay 5 of my own enmity, return her 1 enmity, leaving me with exactly one and therefore I CAN activate the colony?
3.Or, do I actually place her 1 enmity token and 5 of mine on the DEFENSE value (that's 6 total, and Rule 21 doesn't say specifically place YOUR enmity tokens) leaving me 1 to activate it.

The answer is 3. The Princess will get your five enmity during winter (or if the game ends beforehand).

Quote:
Situation/Question 2: Same situation, but how does using the PIRATE or the PATRIOT change this outcome?
1.Would the PIRATE let me conquer it for 4 enmity, since she reduces enmity by 2?
2.Would the PATRIOT (since I am lower ranked AND AT WAR) let me conquer her colony for a SINGLE enmity?

Yes and yes.

This clarification also solves the problem with the Patriot, the "returned" enmity token is what you would use on the conquered colony, and thus it would not be able to be conquered again in the same year. Personally, I would love it to steal a colony for one enmity, and then have the other person take it back at a cost of 6 enmity. There is SO MUCH more stuff I would then retaliate and take back from them... likely a different colony, for just 1 enmity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Dodson
msg tools
Excuse me, Count, what exactly are your plans following winter?

Princess Aria Skye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Dodson

Kansas
msg tools
Tim, please see my post here:

It would be great if we could get clarification on
Ker (4 stickers) when using the Pirate
from the game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
It was a PURELY theoretical question... as I was curious as to the proper mechanics of the, ahem... MANUEVRE.

Hey, go back up and sit in your Ivory tower a little longer... let the peasants revolt a little!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.