Subject: Beginner's Luck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
So very first game after trying this one out and ended up getting through the three civil wars in one piece and coming out with a minus 10 score at the end (Marginal defeat).

Maybe I'm too used to Hapsburg Eclipse at this point, but I kept expecting to get killed off at some point that never happened. Had a few close run-ins early to mid game on the political tracks and did the bare minimum to keep things alive there while keeping the North and West Armies at bay. The Jocks and Paddies eventually piled pressure on but throughout the whole series of wars, nobody got ahead of Bristol or Hull but it was bloody hard work laugh

Among CN veterans, how does this rate? I was delighted to just get through the decks and didn't even risk purchasing one achievement card throughout. I suspect the key to winning winning (as opposed to my moral victory) is pushing much more on those top column tracks. I was a bit taken aback at the end to have survived the decks on my first try.

Very enjoyable experience and for someone who tends to get stalled by rules ambiguities, I found this game flows magnificently, after the first few turns it felt like I'd be playing it for years! Will look forward to taking this off the shelf again in the near future. Beautiful components as well!!

PS Being Irish, Cromwell was a c@nt cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience echoes yours actually; I have no idea why people rank Hapsburg Eclipse as easier than this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unlike most SoS games, there is limited death-tension. Getting completely overrun is not common. Middling victory or defeat is typical. The challenge is how to win big. The prevailing orthodoxy is a defensive military strategy which ignores achievements. This strategy, when skillfully applied, can often lead to victory, but never decisive victory. If you play an offensive game focused on achievements, it is much more challenging and risky and, if you succeed, is the path to decisive victory. However, most players are so focused on the military struggle, they overlook the path to decisive victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
Unlike most SoS games, there is limited death-tension. Getting completely overrun is not common. Middling victory or defeat is typical. The challenge is how to win big. The prevailing orthodoxy is a defensive military strategy which ignores achievements. This strategy, when skillfully applied, can often lead to victory, but never decisive victory. If you play an offensive game focused on achievements, it is much more challenging and risky and, if you succeed, is the path to decisive victory. However, most players are so focused on the military struggle, they overlook the path to decisive victory.

Thanks for that, it confirms what I had been thinking, particularly towards the end of my playthrough. I was very conservative, constantly fortifying / retaking Hull and Bristol, although I did hold the Dublin fortress until relatively late on, but once gone (and Edinburgh early enough on, never touched Oxford of course!) I sorta took the attitude "hold what we have" and see out the cards if I could.

Really enjoyed the narrative, mechanics and the fluidity of it. The only downside last night was that I assumed my game would be short, instead of finishing around 3am laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
My experience echoes yours actually; I have no idea why people rank Hapsburg Eclipse as easier than this one.

CN seems way harder than HE to me.

I agree you're less likely to lose by being overrun in CN, but losing by score (in CN) is still losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.