Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this will be one of the shortest threads ever - I just thought this was pretty funny. This was an approximation of a conversation I had with my sweetie.

S: Why are these college deans putting up with this sh*t? If I were a dean, I'd say "Fine, you're paying for the class, you can skip it if you want to go cry. But if it's a test, there will be no make-up and you fail."

K: The deans are clearly catering to the SJW's.

S: SJW? What the hell is that?

K: You can't be serious. You spend hours a day reading conservative sites like Breitbart and you have never heard of a social justice warrior?

S: No! What is a social justice warrior?

K: (laugh) A social justice warrior is a person who thinks that others shouldn't be allowed to say what they want to.

S: Oh! So I'm a social justice warrior because I think those anti-Trump demonstrators should love America and cut their crap out?

K: (laughing harder): No, you are not a social justice warrior. The SJW's want to stifle us. They want to prevent you from saying things like "the most qualified person should get the job" and "America is the greatest country on Earth." They will try to stifle your conversation by yelling "bigot" or "racist" or "homophobe" or "Islamophobe" when you are trying to share facts.

S: That just doesn't make any sense.

K: Yep - I think you got it now.

The fact that my sweetie had never heard of an SJW is even more surprising considering that the words "safe space" and "trigger warning" are used daily here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Your sweetie sounds like a normal human being who makes his own decisions about issues instead of choosing B because he read an SJW chose A. Sounds reasonable to me. Also thank goodness he doesn't watch hyperbolus's videos. I mean, look what happened to that guy from long term exposure. He used to be a pretty normal dude with strong opinions. Now he's probably mopping his computer screen every five minutes to get rid of the spittle on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
HAVE "hopped-up" Wallaby Train Engineer another 'chance'? \sauron/whitetrainblacktrainpurpletrainbluetraingreentrainredtrain "Wreck of the ol`#99 about commence SUNG!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! A cad perhaps, but no bounder.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the Dean should have taken them all to the theatre to calm thier nerves down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
Perhaps the Dean should have taken them all to the theatre to calm thier nerves down.
He could have taken them to see "Hillary's America" and that would make them feel better about what happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
I suspect this will be one of the shortest threads ever - I just thought this was pretty funny. This was an approximation of a conversation I had with my sweetie.

S: Why are these college deans putting up with this sh*t? If I were a dean, I'd say "Fine, you're paying for the class, you can skip it if you want to go cry. But if it's a test, there will be no make-up and you fail."

Sec -- isn't that the actual way this works?

I mean I'd be fine w/ a student talking to the professor about their requested trigger warnings, asking for a refund if they wouldn't be able to take the class due to something that wasn't on the syllabus (which should be exceedingly rare, if a class depicts violent rape I think it's realistic to tell people that will happen up-front before the refund date,) but... yeah.

What was the problem? The word "trigger" has been coopted by memes -- it's occasionally useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaitlyn_Res wrote:

K: The deans are clearly catering to the SJW's.

S: SJW? What the hell is that?

K: You can't be serious. You spend hours a day reading conservative sites like Breitbart and you have never heard of a social justice warrior?

S: No! What is a social justice warrior?

K: (laugh) A social justice warrior is a person who thinks that others shouldn't be allowed to say what they want to.

S: Oh! So I'm a social justice warrior because I think those anti-Trump demonstrators should love America and cut their crap out?

K: (laughing harder): No, you are not a social justice warrior. The SJW's want to stifle us. They want to prevent you from saying things like "the most qualified person should get the job" and "America is the greatest country on Earth." They will try to stifle your conversation by yelling "bigot" or "racist" or "homophobe" or "Islamophobe" when you are trying to share facts.

S: That just doesn't make any sense.

K: Yep - I think you got it now.

The fact that my sweetie had never heard of an SJW is even more surprising considering that the words "safe space" and "trigger warning" are used daily here.

i was gonna post "this is an unfair silly hyperbolic conversation designed to make Kaitlyn look stupid" but then I saw it was her own post so oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, the SJW -> Skeleton plugin on my computer has brought me a surprising amount of joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In Chinese we have a saying: 得了便宜又賣乖。It roughly translates to: reaping the benefit from a situation, and complaining about being ripped off.

If you think immigrants are leeching off of you (ha!) don't let them into your country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
i was gonna post "this is an unfair silly hyperbolic conversation designed to make Kaitlyn look stupid" but then I saw it was her own post so oh well
You have already seen similar posting from me, so you already think I'm stupid, so for me, you are already a lost cause and I'm talking to other posters who aren't a lost cause.

I posted this because (a) I'm surprised that anybody that gets a daily dose of Hannity, The Blaze, Breitbart, etc. would not have heard of an SJW, and (b) I thought this was hilarious:

Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
you already think I'm stupid

I have to admit this is fair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
AndrewRogue wrote:
Once again, the SJW -> Skeleton plugin on my computer has brought me a surprising amount of joy.
surprise We have 'Dungeons' of them! L(#)(#)K~! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Does your (ugh) sweetie ever watch or read any type of news coverage that isn't in the Rightwing bubble? Not trying to be mean like Chrissie there, but just wondering.

And honestly -- I never heard of SJWs either until I got here. And I watch Hannity (and Maddow) and go to Fox News' web site (also CNN's).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
In Chinese we have a saying: 得了便宜又賣乖。It roughly translates to: reaping the benefit from a situation, and complaining about being ripped off.

If you think immigrants are leeching off of you (ha!) don't let them into your country.
There was a 'rip-off' "PLAY" upon "Leechie-Nutcracker Suite", so, it's possible! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Does your (ugh) sweetie ever watch or read any type of news coverage that isn't in the Rightwing bubble? Not trying to be mean like Chrissie there, but just wondering.

And honestly -- I never heard of SJWs either until I got here. And I watch Hannity (and Maddow) and go to Fox News' web site (also CNN's).

My (ugh) sweetie does read NY Times editorials (usually with much cussing.)

If you have any delusions that I might think that your posts might be even remotely close to Chrissie's, then you have missed the following post from another thread. Clearly I'm never going to read one of your posts as being mean or spiteful. Chrissie? It's what I expect

Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
OK guys, you missed the edited part so I need to say it again (and I'll get rid of it from the first post.)

You should know that posting (or thumbing) this kind of nonsense costs you respect. And I will admit that I have made some posting errors that cost me respect too, and I'm trying to work on that. However, we can all do well to look at the fair posting styles of some of the posters here that should get a lot of respect:

ChadEllis
SteveFitt1501
maxo-texas
remorseless1
Meerkat

I believe that each of these posters (there are others too) has a very fair posting style, actually trying to listen to the other side's argument and presenting their case clearly and without being either derogatory or condescending to the other side. You (and me too) would do well to try to emulate their posting style which leads to the discussion of ideas rather than the picking of nits and the flinging of sh*t. You will also note that I was fair in my list; as a conservative, the average of my list is left-leaning and at least 4 of them likely voted for Hillary Clinton.

Of course, I will never emulate the style of these fine posters since I frequently include posts intended to be humorous (although in that respect I will never approach Grognads's skill in that area.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.