Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: Messing around with the Classic Counters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
One of the things in the ODE Kickstarter that I wanted a lot was the print and play PDF of the classic counters. Not so I could produce my own 1 inch counters, SJG's will always be better than what I could do, but so I could do other things with my 10 permitted copies.

The first thing I did was use them to make a shirt for the ODE launch party. The back of the shirt has the back side of the counters. I added the information top bar.

Next I went large. Here are the counters done as a 36" poster.

For this I used the PDF first released by SJG. It is made with vector art (except for a few buildings) and scales without loss of sharpness. The reissued file with the copy permission added is pixel art and it looks out of focus when stretched 300%.

Once OGRE Pocket Edition was readily available I made a set of counters sized for the pocket edition so I could add some of the additional units from G.E.V.

The HVY TANK is from the OGRE Pocket Edition and the MHWZ & LGEV are the classic counters done to the same scale. The OGREs are from my experimenting with the other print & play stretch goal.

OGRE Pocket Edition scaled Classic Counters could be used on the ODE maps. No thumbing through stacks of counters for spillover and overrun attacks.

I have never played this way but I do frequently use the Classic Counters. Here is my ODE box with the Classic Counters on the left and the new style counters on the right. It does limit me to two factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Ashburnham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NICE setup - I need you to come over and fix up my ODE garage please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william buckler
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
To Keith Carter(Bounder),
Could you tell me the measurements/scale you used to reduce the "OGRE Classic Counters" from the ODE to Pocket Edition, please? I plan on ordering blank counters from printandplaygames.com. Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
WBgame wrote:
To Keith Carter(Bounder),
Could you tell me the measurements/scale you used to reduce the "OGRE Classic Counters" from the ODE to Pocket Edition, please? I plan on ordering blank counters from printandplaygames.com. Thank you for your time.

The ODE Classic Counters are 1" and the OPE counters are 15/32" so they are 47% of the size of the ODE Classic Counters. If you are aiming at specific counter size then that will probably change the print percentage since your trying to match the counters.

I did not use die-cut counters. I printed at 50% on letter sized sticker sheets applying that to letter size .06" (about 1.5mm) chipboard. I then cut the counters out with a metal ruler and a sharp craft knife (changing blades often) cutting just inside the magenta border around each counter. I ended up with counters just a hair larger than the OPE counters. The biggest problem I had was that it took multiple cuts to cut all the way through the chipboard and I had to make sure the blade stayed perpendicular to the surface of the counter to avoid counters with skewed edges. I had to be a little careful to make sure the fronts and backs of the counters lined up (registration). If you decide to go the sheet of stickers direction I can tell you how to limit registration issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william buckler
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Thanks for the prompt response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
A nifty way of storing the Classic Counters

I have come across a neat way of storing the Classic Counters. It allows nearly all the unit types to have their own storage container negating the need for dividers or fishing through a pile of counters.

This is a medium Dot Box case from Cottage Mills. It has just enough room in it to store one Classic Counter set. The different unit types are in boxes designed for beads.

Here are samples of the unit containers. Most, like the HVY counters, use the "large" 1.3" x 1.3" x 1.3" container which is a good fit for 1" counters. Trains pieces go in the half height double wide medium long boxes. They are stored in the half height space where the case clasps connect. There are more unit types in a Classic Counter set that spaces in the storage container. A few related units like HWZ and MHWZ go into the same container. In two cased I have broken units out into half height boxes that stack to fit the storage container height. That is the SHVYs, the gray CPs and the cruise missiles.

Closed up and ready for transport. The dots in the lid mesh with the curved indents of the bead container to lock everything in place. The one drawback to this storage container is no handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Just what the doctor ordered

The scenario I play the most is the Mark III attacking. It is a great scenario for introducing someone to Ogre. How about this for pulling out exactly what you need for that scenario?

That is a black paper craft Mark III in the leftmost slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what the doctor ordered :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If mine wasn't full of pills I'd totally do that counter carrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I take my HVY Tank today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.