Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argos in the UK have just re-reduced the price of the ValKyrie Master set to just £7.50!

We bought 4 sets at £10 - then they went up to £15. Now they've halved that last price I'm tempted to get some more... Can never have enough terrain, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Coles
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't touched the last 4 that I bought but I'm still tempted
Only a couple more sets and I could tile the bathroom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamawell wrote:
I still haven't touched the last 4 that I bought but I'm still tempted
Only a couple more sets and I could tile the bathroom.

Bwahahahaha... now that would be a BGG Image I'd like to see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they ship overseas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Coles
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjwills wrote:
Do they ship overseas?

Unfortunately not. I'd offer to buy and ship them to you but even surface mail to Australia is more than £40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Teixeira
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife pointed this out to me from the sale fyler at 9am in bed on Saturday morning and by 10am I was the proud owner of the last two sets that Argos in Northfield had. My wife had suggested that I get this for my daughter and put it away until christmas - not a chance I've had my eye on this for about 18 months or so - they are MINE ALL MINE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
mbmb
: ( i still have yet to see these cheaper than $40 although i have only looked at walmart and such. wlel i guess i did see it at $25 on amazon... but still. at those prices i would definately pick up a couple sets! lucky!angry

i would also love to see a room tiled with heroscape laugh

--QD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It might not be such good news in the long run.

About six months ago a major toy store chain in Australia cut the price of master sets from $80 to $30 and expansions from $25 to $10. The trouble is we had never gotten past the first wave and they have now disappeared and there have been no more.

I have a suspicion that someone high up has decided they don't think the line is good business and to clear it all out and not get any more. I hope not, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're at least partly right.

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain that Argos are dumping inventory. Does that mean the end for Heroscape? Well, down the years they've sold some big Lego sets at as little as 25% of the original catalogue price, yet year in, year out there is Lego in the Argos catalogue.

In addition, the last month or two has seen Hasbro FINALLY get the first big-box Heroscape expansions into the shops (Road to the Forgotten Forest and Orm's Return); they're also about to launch not one but two new Master Sets (Swarm of the Marro for "standard" Heroscape, and a Marvel superhero-themed set).

Given that the launch of the two new starter sets coincides with the Argos Autumn/Winter 2007 catalogue - and traditionally it is the Autumn/Winter book that has the bulk of the toys & games, the summer catalogue has usually offered a very much reduced range - I'm thinking that at least one of the new sets will appear in that. And if Hasbro themselves are taking Rise of the Valkyrie out of production (and I believe that they are), it makes perfect sense for Argos to dump now, rather than risk running out of stock if they put this Master Set back into the catalogue only to find Hasbro aren't shipping any more.

But who really knows? Neither Argos nor Hasbro are too keen on divulging this sort of information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's back up to £15 again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QWERTY_DREMILITY wrote:
: ( i still have yet to see these cheaper than $40 although i have only looked at walmart and such. wlel i guess i did see it at $25 on amazon... but still. at those prices i would definately pick up a couple sets! lucky!angry

i would also love to see a room tiled with heroscape laugh

--QD

Keep an eye out at Toys 'R' Us - every once in a while they do a Buy one, get one free on board games, and Heroscape is included, so you can snag two for the price of one. Unfortunately, I don't know the next time they will be doing this; hopefully in the near future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I bought four at £7.50, gave one away as a present, one for my school games club to leave at school, one ripped for tiles and the last on top of the fridge in the games room! And they had the gall to increase the price to £14.99 again when I went to buy more - I guess too big a run on their clearance stock. The pity is I want to give a couple away to friends kids, don't mind £15, but £30 is a bit steeper. Feel a bit guilty greed wise. The Game Shop, Aldershot has wave 1 in stock as do other suppliers, but past that it is ebay or import. Leisure games have Marvel Heroscape at preorder for £29.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls