BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card games similar to but a step up from UNO. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Looking for a card game that has similar card play (matching things, action cards ect) but is a step up from UNO. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon's Cat Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. B.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ManaSurge by Daily Magic Games has a mechanic shared with UNO. My gaming group really likes this game as a light, but somewhat strategic game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
Looking for a card game that has similar card play (matching things, action cards ect) but is a step up from UNO. Any suggestions?

When looking for the next step from a game, it helps to identify what you like about the first game.

Uno has "take that" cards, so maybe you could try Coup? It has a cool theme, and you can definitely get that satisfaction in Coup, but it also adds some extra mechanisms.

Or, if you're just looking for a simple card game but with a different basic mechanism, maybe try Sushi Go (introduction to card drafting with a really charming and enjoyable theme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like Red7 might be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Piña Pirata might be a good fit. It feels very similar to UNO, but it introduces a random rule you need to follow in subsequent rounds for card placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuji Flush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghooost! is a light card game with numbered cards and actions and is really similar to UNO, but:
since it reminds so much of UNO, many people seem to totally misunderstand it. In UNO, you want to get rid of all your cards and play cards whenever possible, but there are situations in Ghooost, when you want to do the opposite: take back cards, although you could play something.

The point is: the game is devided into 2 phases and it makes sense to use the first phase to build up a strong collection of cards instead of getting rid of as many as possible.
I watched playthroughs and read reviews where experienced gamers didn't do it and just played it like normal UNO, which in my oppinion totally destroys the spirit of the game... It is very similar to UNO, but you shouldn't play it like UNO.

+1 for Sushi Go! - different mechanics, but the same lightheartedness.
I also want to mention No Thanks! and For Sale. Both are card games, both are very light, both have a "take that"-element, both are very, very easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party! is another that might tempt you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhino Hero - card effects are very UNO. Otherwise it's a dexterity game with broad appeal (i.e. kids, adults)
Jungle Speed - what I usually recommend to UNO addicts (speed game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Super Rhino as "Dexterity UNO"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwupps is in the same vein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Monopoly Deal Card Game is a similar price point. A little more mechanics because of the set collection, but I think is similar in card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Pina Pirata
+1 Schwupps

I might also suggest Yardmaster as it has a similar filler feel and utilizes the concept of putting either like colors or numbers together when creating your train to score points, but with a bit more of an emphasis on set collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
cruisechum wrote:
Monopoly Deal Card Game is a similar price point. A little more mechanics because of the set collection, but I think is similar in card play.

This is an EXCELLENT quick card game. Very VERY good. Much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
+1 Jungle Speed
+1 For Sale

Easy to learn, super fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot Death Uno uses two decks (some say three; either way, one deck is modified), and there are rules/card names for a family-oriented version.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~dljessup/hotdeath.html (original rules)
http://ehd.sourceforge.net/cards.shtml (family and non-PC card pics)

Love the combo 69 card and Mystery Draw (draw the number of cards based on the previously played card). Mwahahahah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yardmaster Express! Or the new printing, Backyard Builders Treehouse.

This is basically UNO but with some basic drafting. It is just as simple, too; you're just matching colors and numbers. The drafting really takes it up a notch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tem-Purr-A! SEriously! Awesome fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
Something like Red7 might be worth looking into.

First thing I thought of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 10 is the game I introduced to my nephews immediately after they got the hang of UNO. They really enjoyed it as well, and it is a great next step.

A few years later, and they are deep into Dominion and Smash Up. We're making great progress turning them into mighty gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:

Yes - check the last thread you posted about this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1667856/uno-slightly-more/p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Grassover Uno, but only with the adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot, Bandits, Mummy Rummy, and Wyatt Earp would all be worth taking a look at.

Other card games we like include Rook, Kigi, Morff, Five Crowns, King's Kilt, Calaboose, Seven Dragons, Torches & Pitchforks, Play Nine, Treasures & Traps, and of course, the ultimate card game, BANG!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.