Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
During my second game I got that "I can't win, I guess I should just throw in the towel" moment when I was down to the last 3 Apoc. Cards. I had revealed all of the Road Cards and would not have enough resources to win.

I hate games ending that way. But then the light bulb went off that I had both defeated myself and taken away the suspense of the game.

The key is that you don't need to feed the urge to Scout and Explore all of the road cards. These will be revealed for free as you progress on your Journey.

Each time you Scout/Explore you are losing something. In my game tonight it was not only an Action but also needing to have another character at my location who has to get delayed. In this two player game, that was 10 actions I burned! With that Apocalype time-clock ticking I didn't have time for such waste.

As mentioned in the Tips and Tricks thread, maybe just scouting all road cards is the way to go and leave some suspense/uncertainty in the game.

If I had done that, those six extra actions might have gotten me the reasources I needed to make it through to salvation but more importantly it would have let me have that tense fun of revealing and resolving the road cards one at a time and suffering the thrill of victory or agony of defeat like it should be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
EXACTLY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Aldrich
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Twitch.tv/Robust_Porter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a few different strategies but I agree with this. Those extra actions are key. The one time i disagree with it is when I had 4 ammo in my truck and scouted the last road card and none of the stops needed ammo. So I was able to use the ammo we had to kill the marauders, but again, it still stopped me from gathering more resources, but I needed to kill those guys, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike wanted to make it very hard to fully Scout and explore every location. I was against it as I lined knowing what I needed, but he was right. The ending is much more tense when there is some suspense there. I still think it is worth fully scouting all the locations, but I explore with caution now. Only of I could really use the resource and think it is worth the action (and wound) cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.