$30.00
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just like with my Hornet Leader: CAO AAR, I'm writing this particular AAR to encourage people to back Israel Air Force Leader's Kickstarter before time runs out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dvgames/israeli-air-for...

NOTE: I'm using NWS Online Store's Optional Payload Rules Variant and combining this with an AAR with HLCAO.

Without further ado, let's get started!

Rapid-Deployment Force Commander's Report
Name: Richard Cutler

October 13th, 2001

Shortly after the Teddy Roosevelt's fighters stopped a Syrian Fencer flight from attacking the Battle Group, the RDF was on the shores of Israel. We were given Hatzor Airbase as our de facto staging area. My Joint-Weapons Team was assembled out of random selection - Two AH-64D Apache Longbows, one AH-64A Apache, one AC-130 Spectre II, one AH-1 Super Cobra from the USMC MEF and one MQ-1 UAV. I had the following Pilots at my disposal...

Major Dan "Neon" Neville (USAF, 4th Special Operations Squadron)
1st Lieutenant Eric "Zinger" Duran (USAF, 4th Special Operations Squadron)

Captain Brett "Shadow" Hutchinson (US Army, 82nd Airborne Division)
2nd Lieutenant Quint "Flash" Kirby (US Army, 82nd Airborne Division)
Captain Paul "Montana" Redmond (US Army, 3rd Infantry Division)
2nd Lieutenant Derek "Hammer" Andre (US Army, 1st Infantry Division)

Captain James "Scuttle" Peterson (USMC, HMLA-167 "Warriors")
2nd Lieutenant Henry "Gator" Eckroth (USMC, HMLA-267 "Stingers")

It was six aircraft, and eight Pilots facing down a superior force combined of the Syrian and Egyptian armies. But then again, I like slim odds of survival.

Day One - A Line in the Sand

The heat was really on us. Those religious hardliner Egyptian scum managed to erect a Forward Base without the IDF even noticing. And they along with the Syrians were readying two units worth of artillery were zeroing in our communication and supply lines. Not to mention that we're faced with at a LOT of frontline units were itching to charge right at us. However, the RDF managed to get some quick supplies in before the impending operations commenced.

We had to strike, and with all humane haste. But I was concerned about having too little firepower in the face of superior odds and stressing my boys. Therefore, I felt like I could only strike two Targets at a time. I decided to send Neon and Flash with the AC-130 and one of the AH-64D Apache Longbows to burn that Forward Base to the ground and scatter the ashes! Meanwhile, Shadow, Hammer and Scuttle along with the UAV would strike at the one of the Artillery Units and reduce the effects of their barrages against us and our allies.

Sortie #01 - Forward Base (6C)

Flash's Armaments
4x AGM-114
2x LAU-61

Enemy Forces Encountered
2x Building
2x Storage
2x SCUD
2x APC
1x Truck (Event)
1x Infantry (Pop-Up)

We received a report that there was an Truck intermixed with the Enemy forces. My only assumption was that it was bringing supplies to the Base. So that would mean we'd have slightly more work to do... But one of the two Scout Helos we procured before the Campaign brought back accurate recon, so my two jockeys would have a longer Loiter Time.

Neon opened up on an APC and two AAA Sites in the Southeast sector. All three were instantaneously annihilated.

Flash and Neon continued their rampage, Flash wiped out a Storage facility while Neon destroyed the other Storage Facility plus both Command Bunkers. Then Flash followed it up by destroying the 2nd APC and one of the two SCUDs. But during his radar scan, he detected a small squad of Egyptian Infantry. However, Neon's AC-130 superior Electronic systems plus maneuverability kept him safe.

But the last SCUD hiding in the southwest sector managed to get into cover, negating Neon's cannons and Flash's fire-and-forget Hellfires. Thus as Neon egressed, Flash proceeded over to its position while taking out the truck. After maneuvering over the ridge, Flash unleashed a full barrage of deadly rocket fire on the SCUD, blowing it to pieces. The Forward Base was no longer factor, and Flash proceeded to RTB.

-ENEMY COMMAND BATTALION DESTROYED-

Stress
Neon: 1
Flash: 2

Experience
Neon: 3
Flash: 3

We've saved our boys a lot of grief, so we can recover stress at the end of the Day. Plus, I gave a "go" to a B-52 Strike that instantly destroyed the Syrian Engineer Battalion, which should slow them down for a good, long while.

Now, it was time for the rest of my Aircraft to take out the Artillery Unit. Godspeed, boys!

Sortie #02: Artillery Unit (1S)

Hammer's Armaments
1x LAU-61
4x AGM-114

Shadow's Armaments
4x AGM-114
2x AIM-92

Scuttle's Armaments
2x BGM-71
1x LAU-61

MQ-1's Armaments
2x AGM-114

Enemies Encountered
2x SAM
4x Infantry
4x SPA
6x SCUD

The Drone controller notified us that the MQ-1 had to move to High Altitude in order to get a better bead on the Enemy. I didn't want to risk my other pilots, so up the UAV went!

The battle opened up with Hammer blasting one of the SAMs with his Longbow Radar and Radar-Guided Hellfires without having to change altitude. Shadow unleashed cannon fire on the other SAM, the Drone knocked out one of the SPAs in the center areas and Scuttle blasted a platoon of Infantry with a salvo of rockets. Shadow's evasive skill saved him from any and all Light hits directed at him.

Then the fight intensified as the Drone destroyed one of the SCUDs, but his last AGM-114 missed an SPA. Then Scuttle annihilated another squad of Infantry with Rockets, while Shadow took down the third platoon with Cannon fire and Hammer destroyed two of the artillery pieces with Radar-Guided Hellfires. But our advantages were short-lived as Enemy troops managed to dive into cover after the attacks, prompting us to move in after them, poor Hammer was in for a stressful flight in reaching the Artillery over the Ridges.

By now, Scuttle used the last of his rockets to destroy the Infantry while Shadow, after a stressful ascent over a ridge, had his Cannon fire to make quick work of the SPA in one of the Center areas. Then Hammer moved after the two remaining SCUDs after disposing of the cowardly Artillery that was in cover on the east side. And Scuttle followed Hammer over.

At the end, Hammer and Scuttle blasted the remaining SCUDs, the fight was over at long last.

-ENEMY SUPPORT BATTALION DESTROYED-

Stress
Shadow: 4
Scuttle: 5
Hammer: 5

Experience
Shadow: 3
Scuttle: 3
Hammer: 3

Shortly after, the UAV detected a Syrian Supply Convoy. My boys took the initiative and unloaded five of their missiles upon the hapless convoy. The effect was enough to force the undersupplied Tank Spearhead to withdraw back to the frontlines.

ENEMY BATTALION MOVEMENT
Enemy Rear Battalions
5A Moves
3C Holds Position
4C Moves

Enemy Transit Battalions
3S Advances (-1 SO)
4S Holds due to being a Fixed Battalion
7S Advances

Front Line Battalions
1A Retreats
2A Holds
3A Holds
4A Holds
6A Retreats
8A Advances
9A Holds
10A Advances
11A Holds
12A Retreats

SOs Remaining: 7
Victory Points: -4 [This is a General War Scenario, so 15VPs start out in the Negatives, and it's up to you to destroy as many Enemy Battalions to offset this]

The first day saw the destruction of three Enemy Battalions. However, two are in the advance and one Artillery Support Battalion remains. I may have to divy my up boys into three sorties in order to prevent a quick Enemy victory.

Colonel Cutler, signing off for now. Godspeed to the Pilots of my group from this day onward. And I pray that our brothers at sea will be able to help tip the tide in our favor.

EDIT: B-52 Strikes can score VPs, so I've readjusted the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: TAL Israeli Defense 2001 General War AAR for Israeli Air Force Leader Kickstarter Awareness
If the KS was for Huey Leader, this would be a bit more relevant. I love Thunderbolt and I'd back a new game like it without hesitation, but Israeli Leader is more like Phantom and Hornet (which I own and enjoy, just not as much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: TAL Israeli Defense 2001 General War AAR for Israeli Air Force Leader Kickstarter Awareness
kerskine wrote:
If the KS was for Huey Leader, this would be a bit more relevant. I love Thunderbolt and I'd back a new game like it without hesitation, but Israeli Leader is more like Phantom and Hornet (which I own and enjoy, just not as much).

So you know, I'm doing this back-to-back with the Co-Campaign Rules with Hornet Leader. And it's less of the gameplay style no more than the Campaign Setting I found to make sense. If you're ever wondering, I'm doing an ongoing AAR of Hornet Leader. Just check out the BGG session forums on HLCAO!

And if you take the time to look at the Kickstarter or ask Dan Verssen Games you'll find that IAFL is bringing some new elements that neither HLCAO nor PL could do. Not to mention that Huey Leader will get a Kickstarter, just not until January/February of the coming year... Right after Sherman Leader's KS.

Other than that, what do you think of my AAR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Did you design this game Gerald?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Did you design this game Gerald?

No, why do you ask?

And here's the link to the HLCAO AAR I'm doing alongside TAL.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1675304/hlcao-israeli-defen...

On top of that, another individual said that posting AARs would be a great way to raise awareness for the Leader series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Day Two - A Three-Pronged Gambit

October 14th, 2001
Good news had arrived - The Teddy Roosevelt's aircraft took a toll on Egyptian troops, and the enemy's toughest battalions were digging in. It was time to strike while the iron was hot again. Though I'm not one to gamble, I was betting on a gambit that sounded good on paper, but needed to be surgically-executed or it'd be a bridge too far.

The objective this time was to wipe out that remaining Artillery Battalion, which was now at the Egyptian Frontlines. Then follow it up by destroying Egyptian Reserve Troops and an Infantry Formation. That Artillery Battalion was going to be the prey of Neon and Shadow, while Scuttle and Flash went after those Reserves and Montana along with the UAV would take those Infantry.

Sortie #01 - Bombardment (3S)

Shadow's Armaments
4x AGM-114 Hellfires
2x LAU-61 Rockets

SOs Remaining: 7

Enemy Forces Encountered
4x AAA
2x Truck
6x SCUD
4x SPA
2x APC

A SAM vehicle suddenly appeared and fired at Neon, but his AC-130's ECM and Evasive Skills kept him alive. Upon their arrival, the Scout turned up with poor recon data, giving my boys only a small boost of time.

However, Neon easily destroyed two of the AAA vehicles while Shadow obliterated two of the SCUDs, an SPA and an APC with Hellfires.

The next bout saw Neon taking out the SCUD and SPA in Shadow's area while the latter feasibly destroyed the Trucks and the surviving AAA with the last of his Hellfires.

By the next moment Neon took down another SCUD and the third SPA while rocket from Shadow's Longbow decimated the SPA that was in cover.

At the final ounce of the battle, Neon easily annihilated the survivors... This Artillery Unit was no more. I can hold my breath as of now.

Stress
Neon: 1
Shadow: 4

Experience
Neon: 3 (+1XP due to Battalion Trait) [Promoted to Veteran!]
Shadow: 3 (+1XP due to Battalion Trait) [Promoted to Veteran!]

I felt even better when I saw that a supply convoy was rolling into the Hatzor Airbase. This was a welcome sight, as our logistics problems would soon be far and few. Now, there's nothing I can do but await the outcome of the next two sorties... I pray my gambit succeeds.

Sortie #02 - Reserves (7S)

Flash's Armaments
4x AGM-114
2x LAU-61

Scuttle's Armaments
2x AGM-114
1x LAU-61
2x BGM-71

Enemy Forces Encountered
2x Infantry
2x APC
2x Truck
2x Tank
2x SCUD
2x SPA

The fight started off with good news: We managed to get on the horn with a MLRS Battalion. The rocket fire destroyed an Infantry Squad, a SCUD, an APC, and both Tanks.

But there is where the bad news began: The Enemy immediately went into cover, forcing my jockeys to give chase and attack.

A Truck fired at Scuttle's AH-1, but he suffered no damage. My boys retaliated by destroying the Truck and an SPA.

Flash destroyed the other SPA while Scuttle went after the SCUD.

The APC put bullet holes into Scuttle's Cobra, but he managed to unleash full rocket fire, obliterating the SCUD. The Battalion was damaged beyond repair, to an extent it would have to be considered destroyed.

Low on fuel, my boys hurried home, knowing that the Battalion was no longer a threat.

Stress
Neon: 0
Hammer: 4
Scuttle: 6

Experience
Flash: 5 [Promoted to Average!]
Scuttle: 5

On the way home, Egyptian AAA painted my Helos, but a TOW from Scuttle's Cobra turned it to dust. But, by destroying their Reserves, my boys felt a little relieved from their hard work.

I do think I could've planned better with that mission. If I gave those two some fuel tanks, they'd not have to worry about Bingo fuel. Nevertheless, I saved the best for last. It was time to take out that Infantry Formation and my gambit would be considered successful.

Sortie #03 - Infantry Formation (10A)

Montana's Armaments
4x AGM-114
2x LAU-61

MQ-1's Armaments
2x AGM-114

Enemy Forces Encountered
4x Truck
4x APC
6x Infantry

The Loiter Time was a lot more forgiving thanks to the Scout and a UAV flyover.

The UAV missed the APC, but Montana wiped out the first of six Infantry Squads with twin rocket salvos.

Then Montana used another rocket salvo on another Infantry unit. During this time, a truck went into cover.

Then the UAV and Montana wiped out four enemies [Half Infantry, one Truck, one APC] with Hellfires and rocket salvos.

Next, four Enemy units [Half Infantry, half Trucks] in the northeast were again destroyed by Hellfires and rockets.

With the help of the UAV, Montana blasted the second APC with Hellfires.

Then, Montana picked off the last truck with his cannon, ending the mission.

-ENEMY ASSAULT BATTALION DESTROYED-

Stress
Neon: 0
Montana: 1
Hammer: 2
Scuttle: 6

Experience
Montana: 3

Then I received word that one of my Pilots was feeling better than ever before... I ponder who might that be? Meanwhile, I ordered the AH-1 to be repaired before its next sortie.

ENEMY BATTALION MOVEMENT
Enemy Rear Battalions
3C Moves

Enemy Transit Battalions
1A Retreats
5A Retreats
6A Advances
12A Retreats
2S Advances
4S Holds due to being a Fixed Battalion
4C Holds

Front Line Battalions
2A Holds
3A Retreats
4A Holds
9A Advances
11A Advances
2S Holds

Friendly Transit Battalions
8A Retreats

Remaining SOs: 8
Victory Points: 4

-Promotion Ceremony: Neon, Shadow and Flash-
Neon, in recognition of your expertise in flying the AC-130 Spectre, I am proud to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Shadow, for your expertise in using the deadly weapons of the AH-64D Longbow, I hereby promote you to Major.
And Flash, for your unwavering resolve, I hereby promote you to the rank of 1st Lieutenant.

The gambit was risky, but three Battalions have fallen victim to the RDF's pilots. Tomorrow, we may have to take out the Battalions in the Friendly Transit. It's stressful, but I'm confident that my Pilots can stop them before things get too dangerous for us to handle.

Colonel Cutler, signing off for the day. I hope on the third day, our brothers at sea onboard the Roosevelt can help turn the tables at some point... While we do the same on our end.

EDIT: I've changed the VP Points to be proper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.