Subject: first gen ipad agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eran sand
Israel
Tel aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, since last ipad it is no longer compatible with first gen ipads...very annoying as i used to play with my wife and now i cant.

Any one else finds that annoying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandman2017 wrote:
So, since last ipad it is no longer compatible with first gen ipads...very annoying as i used to play with my wife and now i cant.

Any one else finds that annoying?
yes and no

No in the sense that the Ipad 1 is 6.5 years old. That is ancient as far as the iOS platform goes. I'm told that even its successor, the Ipad 2 has 9x the processing power and twice the RAM (quarter GB to half a GB). Those specs do appear to be quite a difference. Furthermore, the Ipad can only support up to ios 5.1.1, whereas the iPad 2 can "support" ios9.3.5. I say that in quotes because some online commentary suggest it's sluggish and 9.x should be avoided. Even with that, it's still got ios8.x compatibility

Yes in the sense that if I didn't know better, there is a purposeful "planned obsolesce" to it all. It would've been nice if these electronic devices had "a bit more life" to them, but I'd gander that'd go against their business strategy. Apple also releases updates to iOS frequently with adaptations rates. However, the tradeoff is that forces developers to scramble to update. Sometimes, it's a minor effort to "get compliant". Other times, it costs non-trivial time. In extreme cases, some iOS developers have quit because they don't know if the next major update will break their software and yield a lot more work they'd rather not invest in. This has the annoyance of meaning older devices will less likely be up to snuff.

Where I stand now is I have an Ipod Touch 5 that's running on 3 years. It's battery is fading (needs recharging sooner than from new), but it still has enough battery on a full charge to get in a few hours of gaming. I'm disappointed the IpT6 still has the same, dinky, 4" screen. If the IpT5 dies, I'll see what my options are (get a IpT6 if it's much cheaper, stick with my Ipad Air exclusively for iOS gaming, or get a used Iphone 6/+/s/s+ for the larger screen if it's cheap enough).

Otherwise, I try to get games for Android over iOS if I have a choice, as I just got a replacement phone, and a spare battery in case I need the juice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.