Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG Community,

Trying to get some people's thoughts on games like AGOT:LCG, Android Netrunner, Star Wars, LOTR, Ashes, etc.

My wife and I enjoy card games and I could see us getting into the themes above, but am concerned about how well the games play/replayability if we have ZERO interest in building decks prior to playing.

(I know most have pre built decks, but am curious how well the games play short/long term with pre builds)

Also, I understand the response may vary by game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say forget it, at least for the FFG games. You can play with the decks that come out of the box, but they will always feel like they are only giving you a glimpse of the real game. Building decks is a huge part of the long-term fun of these games. If you don't want to build decks by yourself, there are databases with decks to copy available. But I think a few expansions and custom-built decks are mandatory.

I don't know about Ashes since I didn't play that.

Maybe take a look at Summoner Wars. It's similar in gameplay terms, but not as complex, and there is no need for building your own decks.

Or even better, try Epic Card Game. It plays like a LCG, and you can build decks, but you can also just randomly deal out cards to form a deck (and yes, it works, as crazy as it sounds). The game is also very cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kosta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Or even better, try Epic Card Game. It plays like a LCG, and you can build decks, but you can also just randomly deal out cards to form a deck (and yes, it works, as crazy as it sounds). The game is also very cheap.

I second Epic Card Game. You can each choose a color and play those decks against each other, or for some chaos, shuffle all the cards and just deal out 30 each and play. The price point makes it worth giving a shot, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree with the previous poster that most people find fun in building decks, my wife and I enjoy the games out of the box as is. We won't be playing competitively, so we play what comes with the base box. That being so, there is a lot of gaming in each box as there are many factions to play with. We have tried and liked most of them. I especially liked Warhammer: Invasion, and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, and have dipped our feet into an expansion or two. But we stayed with the base cards for Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, Star Wars: The Card Game, and Android: Netrunner, Occasionally expanding our card choices with a new expansion. As I said, we have gotten a lot of gaming from the base games without getting bogged down in building decks, though we get tempted to add to the card pools every once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's also Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, which apparently comes with a bunch of ways to play, including using premade decks

there are also duel decks for Magic: The Gathering that you can buy, two decks that are meant to be played against each other (and somewhat balanced. i've played a few in that i've only played magic about 5 times in the past 15 years, but they seemed balanced)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you could try Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set where you really build your deck as you play.

Or Blue Moon Legends, you can deck build if you want, but it's pretty straightforward - or just play a faction.

But in terms of a LCG, I suggest Arkham Horror: The Card Game, it's playable with the suggested starter decks, then the only deck building is between scenarios where you can spend earned XP to upgrade/swap cards, but it's only a few.

My daughter doesn't like deck building (in terms of before playing, she's happy to play deck builders where you build the deck during the game) but she loves Arkham, and was happy to apply minor tweeks after the first game, swapping out the cards she felt less useful for ones that looked better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. No pre-game deck construction, but you still get the satisfaction of watching your deck and your character get better and better with each play. There are also tons of sets and expansion packs if you're interested in collecting.

I held off on trying it out for a couple of years because the gameplay looked too simplistic, but I absolutely love it. You can also try out the free app to see if it's your thing before buying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit - I see you don't like Blue Moon Legends so ignore this!

bucklen_uk wrote:
Or Blue Moon Legends, you can deck build if you want, but it's pretty straightforward - or just play a faction.

A review I read of this suggested that you could play it lots without ever building decks, and that it was very good without since there are plenty of factions so you get to learn how each faction plays, then how each faction plays against each other faction and then playing against a faction knowing that the other person knows how to play that faction and what the danger cards they might hold are. It sounds good to me and I may well have bought it if I liked the art more... I don't think it was this review but that say some of the same things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What aspect of LCGs appeals to you? If it's cards with powers and building combos or engines with them then there are other options. There are deck building games too (Dominion, Star Realms etc). Race for the Galaxy, and Carl Chudyk games like Innovation, Impulse & Mottainai

I've not played the Chudyk games, and only played Dominion once (last week) I've played Star Realms & RftG lots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game and Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game are games that have every player start with a generic deck and you buy new cards from an partially open HQ deck.

In The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game you need to pre-build your deck, so that's probably not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R F
msg tools
dr00 wrote:
there are also duel decks for Magic: The Gathering that you can buy, two decks that are meant to be played against each other (and somewhat balanced. i've played a few in that i've only played magic about 5 times in the past 15 years, but they seemed balanced)

I'd second this one. Wife and I bought a full set of the 5 "starter decks" of the 2014 and 2015 sets and found them to be extremely well balanced against each other (albeit full of advertising about how much you could improve your deck by buying booster packs). If you're only interested in it as an LCG, it works very well.

On top of that, our local FLGS sold opened packs where they had ripped out the 'bonus boosters', making the starter decks dirt cheap without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campanella
United States
Hamilton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do want to put my two cents in. Although I'm going a different direction.

My wife and I are game players, and she hates deckbuilding. (I only dislike it).

We play Settlers of Catan Card Game all the time. We have all the expansions. We have mixed and matched picking our favorite cards from the expansions (deckbuilt?). Now we have a standard game for us.

We have Rivals of Catan on our list but haven't gotten it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For LoTR, I always made minor/major adjustments to my deck for every scenario. It was too much of a hassle for me so I took a long break from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse. No deck building needed, fight evil, deal with points accounting. Fun game of you're in to that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I love (in-game) deck building games (Legendary, Ascension, etc), but I've been interested in the themes of many of the LCGs.

I'll take a look at Epic as that sounds like it might be a nice way to play. Our complaint about Blue Moon Legends was how much it felt like a fantasy themed version of War.

I have Arkham on order (again based on theme), so I'm glad to hear some positive feedback there. Android is sitting on the shelves waiting robbed learned/played (was a gift).

My wife and I have both watched all of GoT, which makes me wonder if that is one we could get into simply based on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are good sites with deck lists for LCGs, no need to spend time figuring the deck, just choose and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Walter
msg tools
what about smash up? me and my husband play no deck building except shuffling to factions together. so many expansions and technically the expansions can be played two player with out the base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cone Defense wrote:
My wife and I have both watched all of GoT, which makes me wonder if that is one we could get into simply based on theme.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) is a pretty complex game, but the new core set has eight playable starter decks (they pale in comparison to "actual" decks, but if used as is, they should be fine).

Note, FFG also has some non-LCG games based on the TV series.

Game of Thrones: Westeros Intrigue
Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne

I do not know either, but maybe they would be worth a look.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I'd take a look at Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn I admittedly don't have a huge amount of experience with it as I don't get to play often, but I enjoy playing the pre-built decks and have no desire to build a custom deck. Each deck plays differently, and the art is also unique to each deck, so it really feels like playing this way is not an afterthought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) is a pretty complex game, but the new core set has eight playable starter decks (they pale in comparison to "actual" decks, but if used as is, they should be fine).

I disagree. The base game comes with 4 prebuilt decks (2 factions in one deck), which include 1 card of that faction and some neutrals. They are all pretty weak and unbalanced. The only thing they achieve is give you a general idea of how the cards and plots play out.

However, it is an amazing game if you play with customized decks. It's very thematic as well, so you'll definitely like it. I suggest that you just copy decks from other players online (thronesdb.com f.e.). Remember that you can always try the game online, for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. No pre-game deck construction, but you still get the satisfaction of watching your deck and your character get better and better with each play. There are also tons of sets and expansion packs if you're interested in collecting.

Sure you do. In fact, the very first thing you're supposed to do is construct your deck from the hundreds of base cards available. Then after each scenario you have to rebuild your deck due to the new cards you received.

It is a good game, though, and worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
cbazler wrote:

Sure you do. In fact, the very first thing you're supposed to do is construct your deck from the hundreds of base cards available. Then after each scenario you have to rebuild your deck due to the new cards you received.

It is a good game, though, and worth a shot.

Yeah, I guess it's only 15 or so cards so it doesn't feel like deck construction (it usually takes 3 minutes or so after each game).

After the dozens of hours I've spent making Magic, Netrunner, LOTR and AGoT decks, Pathfinder ACG feels like nothing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars: Alliances Master Set

Still the best series for "shut up and play" gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.