Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(title)

I get some of mine from a local comic shop but I end up buying most online. In fact, I know I'll get hate for this but I save like 40% on every game I buy so I don't think I'll be doing my holiday shopping in store... I know I ought to buy local but I'm not real attached to the shop.

Do you think that I should buy from a Game store specifically rather than just a general collectibles shop? (I don't think so)

If I were to buy from a game store, how rude would it be to ask for a discount on a game just because? How about if I were to call and ask for a rain check on a Black Friday sale?

TIA ---Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Buy from whomever offers the best deal for yourself. Saving money will let you purchase more games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Given the size of my collection, and the opportunities within reach to obtain others, there is simply no game on Earth that I want badly enough or quickly enough to justify paying anything close to retail price.

These days, I get all of my new-to-me games by trading here on BGG, patiently watching eBay for bargains (being willing to buy 6 to get 3 I want, and then trading or reselling the others), buying the occasional small game on Amazon if it's reduced in price enough and makes up a "free shipping" order, and by shopping in thrift stores (where I rarely find games directly for myself, but more frequently find games to resell or trade with others). I also get lucky now and then and win some sort of fun and interesting game in the G4GG lotteries, but that's more of a special treat.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use your money where it gets you value worth that amount of money. Buy from the game store when you feel its worth it. I buy games everywhere a game store, general stores, here, craigslist, and even friends. When I shop at the game store I get my money's worth, typically through their customer service rather than their prices.

How rude is it to ask for a discount? Kinda depends on the store, I assume the worst they could do is scoff at you. Asking for a rain check I see as nothing out of the normal, its the over the phone I'm confused about, are you out of town?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FLGS, thrift stores, BGG marketplace, & trades. In that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
Half Price Books(Even though their prices have been sucking wind lately), Online vendors like CSI...And BGG Geek Auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI, Miniature Market, Amazon and Kickstarter mainly. If I make it to a store I try to buy at least something (sleeves,dice,expansion etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
Tom Vasal put it best. Don't feel like you have to support a game store because they are local. Support a local game store because they are good. Is the staff friendly and helpful? Do they have a good selection of games that you like? Do they hold tournaments and events? Do they have perks for being a loyal customer, etc. I would definitely pay extra money to get a game from a FLGS that provided these sorts of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online: Amazon, CoolStuffInc

FLGS: New Dimension Comics (Tarentum, PA), Mr. Nice Guy Games (Monroeville, PA), Phantom of the Attic (PGH, PA near Pitt campus) & Games Unlimted (Squirrel Hill, PGH, PA)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pretty good FLGS. I know one of the guys who runs it so I buy some stuff there. I want them to stay in business. Supporting my FLGS is important because I do join their events a few times a year and I like being able to pick up something small...like the 7 Wonders Duel expansion recently which simply wasn't worth saving as part of a bigger on-line order.

Most of my new games come from CSI. A few occasionally from other online shops like Fun Again (if it isn't readily available elsewhere) or Minature Market (like once I think). Since I've shopped at CSI for years, I'm up to the additional 5% off so it makes difficult to go elsewhere very often.

On rare occasions I've picked up a game from Amazon...but rarely (like twice I think). While Amazon can offer free shipping at lower amounts I have had a bad experience with shipping by an Amazon seller (not Amazon specific, but one of their 'shops'). Caverna came very damaged because they simply threw it into a box with no packing material. I find it to be a very mixed bag with them.

I do trade and grab a few games from the auctions. If you do that either correspond with them or find someone with good trade / sales ratings. Most of the people here are VERY good people, but some don't value the condition of the box as much as I do...yes, I'm OCD about my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI

PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
If I were to buy from a game store, how rude would it be to ask for a discount on a game just because? How about if I were to call and ask for a rain check on a Black Friday sale?

My most local-est is having a buy one get one half off for the rest of the year. Even with that it is more expensive than CSI *and* he stocks very little. It's a newer shop, having only been open for about a year, but in a pretty good location. It's also having to compete with Madness Games and Comics which is a Wal-Mart sized game shop a half dozen miles away.

Anyway I don't game in a game store so I don't feel any obligation to spend more than necessary by using the game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miriam Tessmer
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
We have a great local game/comic shop - good service, friendly staff, and they are extremely patient with my son. We've been going there for over 6 years (they host a Pokémon night which is where my son learned how to play). But the reality is that sometimes it's cheaper (significantly) to get stuff from Amazon or other retailers. So, we try to spread the money we spend - support a good local business, and buy cheaper so we have more to spend locally. Plus whenever we travel we like to look up game shops - amazing what different things you find when you look in many different places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
(title)

I get some of mine from a local comic shop but I end up buying most online. In fact, I know I'll get hate for this but I save like 40% on every game I buy so I don't think I'll be doing my holiday shopping in store... I know I ought to buy local but I'm not real attached to the shop.

Do you think that I should buy from a Game store specifically rather than just a general collectibles shop? (I don't think so)

TIA ---Dave

You can ask, but of course, they don't have to honor it. Couldn't hurt [shrug]

I used to buy games from a FLGS/comic shop. Since they hosted us for weekly gaming, I felt it was worth spending the extra dough. One time, the store owner charged me full price for a game. Probably didn't know I was a "usual gamer". Instead of the 20% discount, he at least offered a 10% discount. It wasn't worth haggling/hassling for a relatively cheaper item, so I just let it go.

Later on, one FLGS was an hour away. I bought one game there since it was an "emergency situation" to get some better quality part games in.

Now, the only FLGS I'm close to does mostly X-Wing and Magic. Regular board games night is relatively dead, and I have other things going on then anyways. If I were to buy bg now, I'd go to Amazon or otherwise online. However, I have enough games, and not enough chances to get them played, so I'll only get games if they're 50% or more discounted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
(title)

TIA ---Dave

I think you should be getting them wherever makes sense for you, your budget, and your experiences. I get mine from my FLGS, Amazon, CoolStuffInc, Miniature Market, etc. etc. I bargain shop but keep in mind the costs of doing so. I will not bother getting stuff online (instead of the store) if the price saved (after shipping) is not much (or at all) more than taxes would be in the shop. In my mind there is no point. I can get it faster in the store, and my FLGS has a reward points system which will turn those extra couple bucks to $$ off later on.

I will not get things from CoolStuffInc and Miniature Market unless I have the money and a full list to get me up to the free shipping without picking random games to fill the gap. I don't want to pick up games and pay for them if I do not want them in the first place. I might as well not buy from there because I am not really saving any money if I have to pick up extra games to save on shipping. Nor am I saving much money if I don't reach the free shipping (see above point).

If the price online+shipping+taxes is not saving me much versus getting it in the store, then I'd be more inclined to pick it up in my FLGS if they have it. I don't have to worry about shipping damage. There are also certain things I pick up at my FLGS because I participate at events with the people there. And I like to get certain things like deck boxes and some sleeve brands there. They let me check sleeve sizes right in the store. I value their knowledge and assistance and I enjoy going there to chat with the staff. My rapport with the people there gives me options that I wouldn't get by being nameless and faceless online. They contact me or pull me over for a chat when events are coming up or something comes in they think I would be interested in. Because I am a frequent and active customer and event participant I sometimes get free exclusives that come in, access to limited stock for hard-to-get items, time and access to the games library (so that I can try something for free) and the back room, etc. They test out a lot of the new games that come in so we chat about their experience and they run how-to-play events for games as well. But that's my FLGS. If the game store you have near you is not a good one, you do not need to feel obligated to support them. If they are good, you will want to be there and make some purchases there naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I look at my small collection (26ish games): four or five were gifts, many were purchased at the FLGS, a couple were pre-ordered for a discount from the FLGS, and the rest were ordered online (a couple of smoking sales). I really like to support my local stores, but I can't always do that. If I can get my comic book collecting in check, I may have more budget for games. Recently, I started to check out Kickstarter. May the Gods have mercy on my soul...this will probably not end well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly Csi, some MM, a little Amazon, a few EBay purchases, a pinch of flgs games, a wee bit from Barnes and Nobles, and lately, largely trading. The change in the Miniature Market user face stopped the split I had with CSI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.