$30.00
$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Dune» Forums » General

Subject: Legendary Take On The Dune License rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
Legendary have pruchased the rights to making a Dune Movie and tv series.

Not sure if this includes board games but the fact that either legendary own the rights to the board games or that Dune is now being divided up into different licenses may mean a new Dune board game is a distinct possibility. The reason why nobody could get a hold of the Dune board game license prior weas because it was being sold as an entire package including movie etc..


FFG need to be on this asap.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't see how they could make a better game than Dune. Rex loses a lot in the translation. You are hoping FFG can swing a deal to remake a themed Dune?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi Sanvictores
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, would be interested to see if a new game can be pushed out.

Thinking out loud:
Since 1979 (when Dune was published), there have been several mechanics that became popular that may be a base for a new Dune game. Since I'm by no means an expert in this hobby, deck building as a mechanic comes to mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if they can make a BETTER game than Dune, but there are lots of games that could be made and set in the Dune milieu that could be really good.

I'd love to see a SW:R type game set on Arrakis, for example.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
FFG originally intended to redo Dune but couldnt obtain the Dune license without having purchase the whole license which is to costly for a board game manufacturer. Hence why they rethemed it REX. Now however Dune is a distinct possibility.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
FFG originally intended to redo Dune but couldnt obtain the Dune license without having purchase the whole license which is to costly for a board game manufacturer. Hence why they rethemed it REX. Now however Dune is a distinct possibility.

It could be interesting if sub-letting just the game license is cheaper?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
gorkel wrote:
FFG originally intended to redo Dune but couldnt obtain the Dune license without having purchase the whole license which is to costly for a board game manufacturer. Hence why they rethemed it REX. Now however Dune is a distinct possibility.

It could be interesting if sub-letting just the game license is cheaper?


I hope FFG are trying to get in touch with Legendary to get the board game rights.
Then get it reprinted with good components and unified ruleset (which hopefully takes into account the 3 decades worth of feedback dune players can give) to make a totally awesome version that we can get at a relatively affordable price.
Any particular way to get FFG's attention on this?
Sal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
I dont doubt that FFG have already started to put this in motion. However until Legendary reveal their plans for Dune its unlikely anyone would be foolish enough to release a board game version without first trying to tie it into the possibility of a movie or tv series to maximise sales.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
I dont doubt that FFG have already started to put this in motion. However until Legendary reveal their plans for Dune its unlikely anyone would be foolish enough to release a board game version without first trying to tie it into the possibility of a movie or tv series to maximise sales.


Totally agree.
But movies take 2-3years to develop (looks like they may have a director on board soon).
That gives FFG the time to negotiate to get the license, develop an updated version of the graphic design of the game (tied in closely or loosely to the new movie), unify the ruleset + playtest it.
Ideally maybe even do what they did with cosmic encounter, and get experianced dune players to give input +/- playtest it.
And put in variants that allow a shorter game (with other necessary changes to accomodate this).
Lots of potential to bring this great game to a newer generation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
Zalman wrote:
gorkel wrote:
I dont doubt that FFG have already started to put this in motion. However until Legendary reveal their plans for Dune its unlikely anyone would be foolish enough to release a board game version without first trying to tie it into the possibility of a movie or tv series to maximise sales.


Totally agree.
But movies take 2-3years to develop (looks like they may have a director on board soon).
That gives FFG the time to negotiate to get the license, develop an updated version of the graphic design of the game (tied in closely or loosely to the new movie), unify the ruleset + playtest it.
Ideally maybe even do what they did with cosmic encounter, and get experianced dune players to give input +/- playtest it.
And put in variants that allow a shorter game (with other necessary changes to accomodate this).
Lots of potential to bring this great game to a newer generation.


agreed. my main gripe with Dune is the LOONG turns. They need to figure a way to speed up the bidding process which is the main cuase of prolonging game.

I designed a new dune game built on the foundation of Game Of Thrones but with all the elements that made Dune great. The corriolis storm, spice, the faction powers etc and the bidding was instead done with card drafting.

Also a new way to change the turn order instead of the way it currently works would be good due to the fact that it allows more factions to be added without having an issue with the storm order.

Also i dislike the randomness of the nexus rounds. Much prefer it if u assembled the spice deck with nexus rounds shuffled in every 3 or 4 cards. Once played a game were the last 7 spice cards were nexus cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.