$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

HeroQuest» Forums » Variants

Subject: Upgrading Heroquest with new heroes, monsters, ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve 007
msg tools
Recently got my hands on a copy of Heroquest: such a great and nostalgic game. Due to the outprint of Heroquest, I started playing and collecting Descent.

As I opened Heroquest and played it right away with my wife, we both came to the conclusion that it needed to be "pimped". So I started with altering the heroes and monster body points, along with giving them a special ability. Here are some examples:

Barbarian:
* speed is 1D10
* body increased to 16
* after attacking a monster, you may roll a D6. On a 4-6 you may perfom an additional attack.

Dwarf: (might be altered)
* speed is 1D6 +2
* body increased to 14
* at the start of your turn, you may roll a D6. If you roll a 4-6, Morcar must reveal all traps in the area you are (like left top, right up, left below, right below). On another turn when using this skill, you may remove indicated trap from the map.

Elf:
* speed is 2D6
* body increased to 12
* you may move through monsters as if they weren't there.
* you no longer use magic

Wizard:
* speed is 1D10
* body increased to 8
* you may choose 3 packs of spells.
* at the start of your turn, you may roll a D6 to consult the Winds of Magic. On a 1-2, nothing happens. On a 3, you have to remove 1 spell from your hand. On a 4-6, you regain 1 used spell.


Goblin:
* at the start of Morcar, you may place 1 Goblin on the board beside another Goblin or Orc.

Orc: (might be altered)
* body increased to 2
* both of this monster his actions might be attacks.

Fimir:
* body increased to 3
* a Fimir can, as an action, let an adjacent Hero perform a Mind test. The Hero throws a D6 and adds his Mind points to it. Is the result 8 or higher, then the Fimir deals 2 damage and heals 2 damage.

I've playtested these and it plays very nicely. Like mentioned only the Dwarf and Orc might be altered.

I've also redone all the other monsters (Skeleton, Chaos Warrior,...) and will add them here later on.

I'm also working on converting heroes and monsters from Descent into Heroquest and will share them here.

Can you Heroquest-lovers take a look at this and let me know what you think about these adjustments? All constructive info is more then welcome



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those sound like cool ideas. Let us know how they work after you've tried them.

The simplicity of HQ really allows for house rules and variants.

I pretty much play it straight, but I do have the Zargon player roll a die on any hero turn where there are zero monsters on the board. On a 5 or 6, Zargon places a wandering monster anywhere on the board out of hero LOS. I find it helps with the "between room" turns where the heroes can twiddle their thumbs as there is no pressure or danger.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve 007
msg tools

Well that was the downside I was having when we played Heroquest again. We noticed that, considering we played Descent a lot, the Morcar player kinda felt like he was just watching the dice rolled without having any monster on the board.

Also it was pretty much a monster slasher as they had no chance. By adding some Health to the monsters and giving them some abilities, it makes the game challenger and also that there is enough to do on the board.

In order to make that work, I altered the Heroes also; trying to keep the balance between good and evil (although wanting the heroes to have a lil advantage ). But in the first playtest we had, it adds a bit more strategy and keeps every player involved.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like everything except the change to the elf. I am keeping the fighter mage :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmb
sdh007 wrote:

Well that was the downside I was having when we played Heroquest again. We noticed that, considering we played Descent a lot, the Morcar player kinda felt like he was just watching the dice rolled without having any monster on the board.

Also it was pretty much a monster slasher as they had no chance. By adding some Health to the monsters and giving them some abilities, it makes the game challenger and also that there is enough to do on the board.

...



Correct, that's why I designed Allied HeroQuest for myself. A lot of other players like it too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
sdh007 wrote:

Well that was the downside I was having when we played Heroquest again. We noticed that, considering we played Descent a lot, the Morcar player kinda felt like he was just watching the dice rolled without having any monster on the board.

Also it was pretty much a monster slasher as they had no chance. By adding some Health to the monsters and giving them some abilities, it makes the game challenger and also that there is enough to do on the board.

...



Correct, that's why I designed Allied HeroQuest for myself. A lot of other players like it too :)


Link?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some kind of threat token system like AHQ or Allied HeroQuest is easy to implement. Solo AHQ has a 1 in 12 chance of a wandering monster per turn, and a 1 in 12 chance of "You stood on a trap, deactivate it or suffer".
The advantage of tokens is that Morcar can save them up, it gives him some options.
I would suggest Toco Tokens in standard HeroQuest, perhaps with a dice roll to get a token, to adjust difficulty. Plenty of token pictures online.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdh007 wrote:


Can you Heroquest-lovers take a look at this and let me know what you think about these adjustments? All constructive info is more then welcome



Those are good ideas, HQ is fertile ground for modding isn't it.
If there's only 2 of you playing you might like to give my Digital Dungeonmaster system a go. The files are in the download section on here. You can easily combine it with your changes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest the original igniter of many imaginations, not just in fantasy and quest but games design and mechanics.

Here's my link to the best House rules, lots of thought with quite some years of playtesting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOud21ESFhLaG9hS1...

Chaos Tokens from Advance HeroQuest. EW picks randomly at the start of his turn if no monsters were in play that round and every 2.30, the Hereos take to complete a round. See download for specifics.

Each monster now has a unique skill like Goblims Move Attack Move, slippery lil bugger, fimir tail bash, counter attack.

Bought Equipment can be sold at 50% including a simple damage mechanic.Thrown range limited by current BP, lost weapons can be found if the room it was thrown in is searched. Now they're worth buying. Short sword is dual wield for 2 attacks not diagonal attack, giving use back to the spear.

Sacrifice a rolled movement d6 to reequip, give/receive, climb, our unique character special action.

Rolling double 1 HAZARD! Any thing the EW can think of "as you try to escape the floor greats your face". The Hero rolls 1Cd6, skull lose 1BP. Now the Heroes wont waste turns, if they do there's a threat.

Here is my extended Armoury, Alchemist & Inn (Mercenaries and others).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuZnREQnJCR1dob2...

Here is my character creation
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuNWVqQVJ4Zzl6RG...
it follows a simple mechanic hidden in the original game. Body and Mind is 10 points divided. Mind points are used to unlock skills, magic.

There's a lot more too. The curse on this tomb is strong, the undead are easily reanimated and must be 'finished off'. Check out the Quest! Ancient Magic enchants the chaos armour through their orb. Any black shields rolled against them in attack negates a skull. Find the source of the magic to break the spell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have some interesting ideas but i feel you've made the Heroes body points too high, it takes away the threat and the need to find that potion of healing. Especially the need to protect the wizard and those healing spells. The Talisman of Lore (+2MP) is a good way to give the Wizard all 4 sets of spells. Instead of increasing the original stats you could simply give the Heroes a potion of Healing.

It's like an unwritten rule to all hardcore HeroQuest fans/modders over the years, add but not change. The core game has to be preserved, lol!

With the Elf we created a non magic Elf and keep the standard Elf as is. The new Elf usually comes with agility M,A,M...

Do you have UK or US edition? The US edition the monster have more Body points. The first thing most do is use the US stats for monsters. UK search rules and spells are better though.

I contemplated using different dice but it over complicated the balance in character creation. I may get round to adding it to ours but due to other mechanics it would have to be dwarf 2d4, elf 2d8, Human 2d6. Using the + modifier on the dwarf means, although the slowest he can move quite often more than the others. One could argue that he may be slowest overall but less likely to stumble on faulty flooring, hence the +2 but lowest die.

Here's my WIP character sheet. 1 that works functionally with in game, when knowing how to use it, unlike the original. Our group like to write back stories and draw emblems etc. The back is a huge scroll. With the top right hand corner where you overlay the character card




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve 007
msg tools
Update:

HEROES

* Barbarian his skill is now that he may roll a D6 at the start of his turn. 4-6 he gains an extra attack this round.

* Dwarf may search for secret doors and traps even when there are monsters in the same room or corridor. This doesn't count as an action but he can't search again this round.

* Elf is unchanged.

* Wizard is now an Aquamancer and has the 3 normal Water spells + 3 new Water Spells (found on Ye Old Inn) from his choice. The other Water Spells are placed in his play area as they are his Magic deck. He rolls a D6 at the start of his turn; 1 is remove 1 spell from your hand and place it at the bottom of your Magic deck; 2-4 is nothing happens; 5-6 is gain a new spell so roll a D6 and take the card corresponding with it (start at the top of your magic deck).

*Dwarf Slayer: (using Corbin from Descent)
Speed is D6+1
Attack is 2
Defense is 2
Body is 13
Intelligence is 3
When attacking if you roll all Skulls, the target can't defend and you deal the damage rolled.

* Elf Wardancer: (using Jaes from Descent)
Speed is 2D6
Attack is 2; 1 for diagonal
Defense 2
Body is 13
Intelligence is 6
At the start of your turn you may choose to attack a monster twice. This has an impact on your defense as you roll -2 defense during your turn.

MONSTERS

* Goblin:
Goblins may move through Heroes as if they are empty spaces.

* Orc:
Body is 2. At the end of Morcar his turn, roll a combat die. If you roll a Skull, you may place 1 Goblin besides a Goblin or Orc.

* Fimir:
His special skill is the same; only he deals 2 damage and heals 1.

* Chaos Warrior:
Body is 3. You may choose to reroll all combat dice after rolling them. You must reroll ALL OF THEM instead of 1 or 2.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve 007
msg tools
mitchiemasha wrote:
You have some interesting ideas but i feel you've made the Heroes body points too high, it takes away the threat and the need to find that potion of healing. Especially the need to protect the wizard and those healing spells. The Talisman of Lore (+2MP) is a good way to give the Wizard all 4 sets of spells. Instead of increasing the original stats you could simply give the Heroes a potion of Healing.

It's like an unwritten rule to all hardcore HeroQuest fans/modders over the years, add but not change. The core game has to be preserved, lol!

With the Elf we created a non magic Elf and keep the standard Elf as is. The new Elf usually comes with agility M,A,M...

Do you have UK or US edition? The US edition the monster have more Body points. The first thing most do is use the US stats for monsters. UK search rules and spells are better though.

I contemplated using different dice but it over complicated the balance in character creation. I may get round to adding it to ours but due to other mechanics it would have to be dwarf 2d4, elf 2d8, Human 2d6. Using the + modifier on the dwarf means, although the slowest he can move quite often more than the others. One could argue that he may be slowest overall but less likely to stumble on faulty flooring, hence the +2 but lowest die.

Here's my WIP character sheet. 1 that works functionally with in game, when knowing how to use it, unlike the original. Our group like to write back stories and draw emblems etc. The back is a huge scroll. With the top right hand corner where you overlay the character card






I'm using the European version as I'm from Belgium and found a Dutch version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may like my project...
http://www.freewebs.com/heroquestrevised/

With the advanced rules section, the game is a lot better balanced, and teh whole presentation is quite modern.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve 007
msg tools
Hi Slev,

Link doesn't seem to work...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdh007 wrote:
Hi Slev,

Link doesn't seem to work...

It obviously works, yet.... it doesn't seem to work.... Chaos at work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
sdh007 wrote:
Hi Slev,

Link doesn't seem to work...


Works from here, I really don't know what to tell you...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.