Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! I played through all of the original scenarios provided with the Core Set for Arkham Horror: The Card Game, and I wanted to put together some new scenarios using those cards. I decided to make a set of templates from my own scans this weekend.

They're fairly elaborate. I recreated all of the transparent filigree effects for the Treachery and unexplored Location cards, which was a bear of an undertaking. I'll be posting them eventually, along with a scenario, but I wanted to make a thread where I could put all of my links together in the future.

The templates cover all of the basic scenario cards: Reference, Agenda, Act, Location, Enemy, Treachery. Initial versions of the templates probably won't have every single thing you can think of in them, but they'll give you a great starting point! I need to do some clean up for release versions, so check back for release news.

I was inspired by the Lord of the Rings templates made by GeckoTH.

These templates require Photoshop. They were created in the Photoshop CC 2015.5. You will need the following fonts: Bolton (Stats), Teutonic (Titles), and Minion Pro (Card Text - Medium / Italic / Bold / Bold Italic).

My hearty recommendation to those who want to be on the up-and-up with regards to Minion Pro: You can buy Minion Pro Medium for $35. Photoshop can apply a faux-bold and faux-italics, which will get you the rest of the way with a little bit of manual adjustment. Also, if you have non-pro Minion, that should work as well!

Card Templates:

Scenario Card PSD's
Scenario Card Back
Simon Taylor's Icon Font
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Darby
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good job dear Sir,
but can you provide a file with the templates, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work, thanks for doing this - looking forward to the files going up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Smith
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subbed for files :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap! Take 5 GG for the link to download the templates please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update: I've streamlined, double checked, and uploaded all of the PSD files for approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
A quick question from someone who isn't all that savvy with image editing software -- you mention that the templates require Photoshop, how mandatory is that? A hard requirement?

I mention it only because I fancy having a crack at a campaign also and, prior to noticing this thread, spent a few hours yesterday messing around with making templates of my own, however my approach consisted of simply taking the cardgamedb scans - with the FFG watermark - and trying to delete out all the unique text and art, plus hide the watermark as much as possible. As such, my own efforts are.. let's say just a little unprofessional looking. Not terrible, but essentially just a selection of slightly blurry .png files.

Example: https://abload.de/img/location_rearorpkw.png

Your work looks much cleaner, but I don't have photoshop, so I'm just wondering whether your files'd be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work on yours!

In short: the files I will be sharing are "100% you need Photoshop" to use them. That said, I can share the "background" separately for you, but you would need to do a lot of work yourself to do the typesetting. Some of them have some modular elements that are trickier to share - like the Reference cards can show and hide the icons, and the Enemy cards are setup to show/hide damage and horror. But if enough people thumb this comment to express interest, I can put together a zip file of just the background images for y'all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, if there's enough demand, neat, but please don't go to all that work just on my behalf. I absolutely don't mind continuing to fiddle around in GIMP and paint.net with my .pngs. I actually enjoyed the process of stripping out the elements, there was something slightly zen / meditative about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
wonder if these could be used to make an AHLCG plugin for strange eons...http://cgjennings.ca/eons/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine a plugin for Strange Eons 3 could be made, but it seems like a big side-project from a quick look over the documentation - which isn't very clear. If someone wants to tackle this, I'm happy to provide asset support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I'd like to my own templates, I use gimp. It's not possible to import .psd files to gimp is it? If not, what is the method for creating these. I imagine cutting out the photos are easy but how do you get rid of the text and make it a blank slate for inserting your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used GIMP and imported the PSD files. The only thing you will not be able to do are use the text layers - you'll have to reconstruct them with a bit of trial and error on the text size.

The fonts, etc, all work out OK (if you can find Minion Pro...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know Simon! I've added a note about a recommendation for those that want to remain legit with their font acquisition on the cheap.

Also worth noting everything is uploaded now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I found minion pro for free somewhere but I can't recall the link. So it's around if you have a look.

what about this one?
http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Minion-Pro-Regular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spectrehorseman wrote:
I found minion pro for free somewhere but I can't recall the link. So it's around if you have a look.

what about this one?
http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Minion-Pro-Regular

That's the one I have. The bold and italic don't look perfect, but they look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Krywusha
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Great work!

As a graphic designer (and Photoshop geek) have you considered some of the other layer options with some of the templates?

I've started with location icons in layers and also other graphics that might need to be augmented and therefore pulled off the backgrounds (such as health/horror damage on the enemy cards. The location icons are pretty clean, while cleaning up the health/horror icons for the enemy is taking just a bit longer. Other than that, I'm pulling the set icon off of the Treachery card template.

Let me know if there are other areas that are worth adding to. I'd be glad to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I don't if this helps but I made an enemy template with GIMP. Some of us are poor folk and don't have photoshop

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6O1RgvAqE9DSWlSUG9ET19CTG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gregory.

I've already implemented the enemy damage as layers that can be toggled - in the decorations folder. I haven't included any set icons, as I'm presuming people are using these for custom original scenarios, not rebalancing or recreating existing cards.

I see I missed the set icon on Treachery. Doh! Sorry about that! I've removed it and will upload a new version. If I missed removing any other icons, do let me know. I'm happy to update any templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark 5
msg tools
mbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
A quick question from someone who isn't all that savvy with image editing software -- you mention that the templates require Photoshop, how mandatory is that? A hard requirement?

I mention it only because I fancy having a crack at a campaign also and, prior to noticing this thread, spent a few hours yesterday messing around with making templates of my own, however my approach consisted of simply taking the cardgamedb scans - with the FFG watermark - and trying to delete out all the unique text and art, plus hide the watermark as much as possible. As such, my own efforts are.. let's say just a little unprofessional looking. Not terrible, but essentially just a selection of slightly blurry .png files.

Example: https://abload.de/img/location_rearorpkw.png

Your work looks much cleaner, but I don't have photoshop, so I'm just wondering whether your files'd be an option.

GIMP works but you need to typeset yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark 5
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great job and thanks.

Any tips on where to find great background images? Your examples look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark5n wrote:
Great job and thanks.

Any tips on where to find great background images? Your examples look great.

Thanks! Nyarlathotep is from one of my games, the rest are just things I found via Google's image search for the examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question re: text boxes: is it possible to set them to scale the text as you type as well as wrap the text? I'm finding it necessary to insert my own carriage returns and eyeball the sentences as I go. Makes it impossible to cut and paste text into the box as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.