Subject: Several questions about the Alien Empire flowcharts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few things I'm unclear on from the Alien Empires solo flowchart. I think it's difficult to understand some options if the logic behind them isn't clear. I'm starting with the standard scenario from the original game with the new rules.

1. In the base game scenario, NPA fleets do not flip system markers. However, in the CE version they start with Exploration tech and the Movement portion of the the NPA flow chart specifies that Raider fleets move through Deep Space markers without revealing them, and the Regular fleet movement box is silent on this point. Does this imply that in the CE version, Regular fleets do flip DS system markers (and are affected by them)? This doesn’t seem right as it would be too easy…..a lot of early NPA fleets would disappear to Danger and Black Hole markers (they can’t utilise the Exploration tech because you don’t know whether they have Cruisers until they build the fleet at contact).

2. In the Combat 2 section of the flow chart (about halfway down), the NPA purchases 2 SC if they have seen player mines. Is this a typo that’s meant to be SW? What benefit would buying Scouts have, instead of buying Minesweepers, if the NPAs know that the player is building mines?

3. The two options for Possible DD - the first option about Cloak and Scanner tech doesn't have a yellow outcome box. It also doesn't quite make sense......why does it specify "and AP has Scanner tech" when the initial requirement of the AP not having seen Cloaking greater than its Scanner tech implies that it has Scanner tech already (that redundancy makes me think I'm missing this one entirely).
For the second option, what does "Flagship was not a DD" mean? When is a Flagship ever a DD?

Thanks,

Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In the CE rules NPAs can always use exploration, they do not need to have CAs.

2) SCs double as SWs for NPA

3) The first box should also point to the "buy DD" outcome.
The NPA "flagship" is simply the largest ship in the fleet. They do not use the specific Flagship counter.

Don't have enough time to properly provide sources, but can do so later if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

None of those sounded at all familiar and I've just gone back and read through Scenario 4 and still can't see them. In fact, the rules specifically say that NPAs don't use Flagships. I'm definitely lost in space on this one

Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
Thanks.

None of those sounded at all familiar and I've just gone back and read through Scenario 4 and still can't see them. In fact, the rules specifically say that NPAs don't use Flagships. I'm definitely lost in space on this one

Brent
You aren't the first one: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1033930/alien-vp-flowchart-q...

EDIT: Source for 1) is on page 17 of the CE scenario book, half way down in the left column, titled Exploration Technology.
2) is in the original scenario book, page 12, left column, third bullet from the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
goshublue wrote:
Thanks.

Brent
You aren't the first one: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1033930/alien-vp-flowchart-q...

EDIT: Source for 1) is on page 17 of the CE scenario book, half way down in the left column, titled Exploration Technology.
2) is in the original scenario book, page 12, left column, third bullet from the top.

Thank you.

I did a rule forum check before coming here and didn't spot that thread (even though it's titled "flowchart questions!" blush)

I've played the base game Alien Empire scenario half a dozen times and completely missed the Scouts double as Minesweepers rule blush

I don't feel too bad about the AP exploration tech rule, though......it's in the Coop scenario rules, which also happen to be later in the scenario book than the solo scenario! If they apply to the solo scenario, that probably should have been referenced in the Scenario 4 rules. I'll have to read the Coop rules in case there are other bits I'm missing.

Thanks again.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
goshublue wrote:
Thanks.

Brent

Thank you.

I did a rule forum check before coming here and didn't spot that thread (even though it's titled "flowchart questions!" blush)

I've played the base game Alien Empire scenario half a dozen times and completely missed the Scouts double as Minesweepers rule blush

I don't feel too bad about the AP exploration tech rule, though......it's in the Coop scenario rules, which also happen to be later in the scenario book than the solo scenario! If they apply to the solo scenario, that probably should have been referenced in the Scenario 4 rules. I'll have to read the Coop rules in case there are other bits I'm missing.

Thanks again.

Brent.
I think for 1) the problem is more that the flowchart doesn't mention that in non-VP scenarios none of the fleets reveal hexes they pass through.

I've never gone back to the non-VP scenarios after getting CE, so that's something I never noticed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when playing the original scenario with Close Encounters rules, regular AP fleets should behave like they did in the base game? (i.e. don't flip Deep Space markers and ignore Exploration technology?).

The flow charts are clearly geared towards the VP scenario, which is cool, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I started with the original scenario for familiarity while I'm learning and consolidating the expansion rules. Even then, I think the original mode will still have relevance....sometimes you want a simple kill or be killed outcome. It could almost do with its own dedicated flow chart for the original scenario + Close Encounters rules game, to avoid confusion.....but I recognise that's a lot of work.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
So when playing the original scenario with Close Encounters rules, regular AP fleets should behave like they did in the base game? (i.e. don't flip Deep Space markers and ignore Exploration technology?).

The flow charts are clearly geared towards the VP scenario, which is cool, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I started with the original scenario for familiarity while I'm learning and consolidating the expansion rules. Even then, I think the original mode will still have relevance....sometimes you want a simple kill or be killed outcome. It could almost do with its own dedicated flow chart for the original scenario + Close Encounters rules game, to avoid confusion.....but I recognise that's a lot of work.

Brent.
You'll have to wait for somebody official to say what should or shouldn't happen by the rules

However, if you are going for familiarity I'd say play it like the base game. Pretty sure it won't throw anything out of whack even if that wasn't the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.