Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a rules question, but some observations about the two types of Trog Tokens, based on a recent rules question discussion which designer Grant joined. When he pointed out that Nests don't add crystals, I realized I hadn't noticed that and other things about the two types before. Here is a summary of Trog Token characteristics and effects, and how they should be initially handled and placed:

Trog War Parties (18 Green) Add 1-3 Trogs and 1-3 Crystals in equal amounts. War Parties are placed randomly at game start, and not replaced on the board when removed. Exception: Trogs using their default skill Disappear may add a War Party to any unoccupied region if they remove a unit from any region.

Trog Nests (12 Orange) Add 2-4 Trogs, but no Crystals. Only one is placed on the board at game start, on the central region The Scorch in the 2 Player Game. In 2-3 Player Games, nests are placed singly after battles on Battle Regions which Trogs win, or on adjacent regions to Battle Regions to which losing Trogs must retreat. They are not used in the 4 Player Game. In the 2-3 Player Games, they are drawn randomly as needed, and then redrawn randomly as needed from the Nest Discard Pile.

In addition, both types are colored coded on their reverse sides in ascending strength order: Green, Yellow, and Orange. War Parties and Nests should be kept separated by type at start and during the game, as they are almost indistinguishable visually on their reverse sides (this is true for Exploration tokens as well). A Nest Discard Pile should be formed after all Nests are initially drawn, by flipping them back over to their front sides (without strengths indicated). The Nests may be set aside in the 4 Player Game.

Let me know if I got this right, and if you have any comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me at the moment, but don't you use the trog nest tokens with the trogs' default ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of Trog tokens I would also like to confirm there is no limit to the number of tokens that can be in a region at one time.

Depending on which regions are explored and where battles are fought there could be a war party token from beginning of game plus 2-3 additional nest tokens due to Trog retreats into this same region. Is this correct? This is how we played and it made it very intimidating to venture into some regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not state a limit, therefore, there is not a limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim Choy,

You are correct; I have added this to the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.