Subject: Playmat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intending to pick up a playmat for this but saw that the official one was PVC rather than the neoprene type mats used in the Legendary games. A couple of questions -

- How slippy are the PVC mats in terms of holding the components steady - neoprene is quite good in this regard, not sure about PVC.

- How flat does the PVC lie - again the neoprene works well in this regard, And how slippy is the PVC in terms of it sliding on the surface beneath it.

Thanks in advance - a first world problem to be sure....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PVC is pretty slippy but actually for STA its not too bad since you're likely to want to move stuff around until they are 'fixed' in place by the rules.

We play with the map onto a tablecloth and its fine. I wouldn't want to play with PVC straight onto another shiny surface!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice the mat slipping at all, and it lies flat. It's thinner than I expected, but it works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
No issues with the mat here. As others have already said you don't want the top of it to be too "sticky" because it would make sliding planets and space lanes a pain, and I've been using mine on a relatively shiny wooden surface and haven't noticed any slippage.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you have a different, preferred space-themed mat, use that! There's absolutely nothing "special" about the GF9 mat, to be honest. But what it does have, are nifty "nebulas" printed on the mat that show where to place each of the starting home planets. And I admit they look cool.

Regardless, if you're willing to do that on your own (as per the placement method in the rulebook), then the GF9 mat is rather inferior to other mats out there, IMHO. As you said, the mat is made of thin vinyl and the one I saw at Gen Con is printed with a very bright yet "faded" shade of blue as the background. It just didn't look like deep space to me.

So if you have your eyes on a different 3' x 3' mat that's designed for X-Wing, etc, and is made of a material that better suits you, I would suggest going in that direction. Again, you'll be giving up the printed "start here" nebulas, is all.

I have a space-themed mat from Quiver Gaming (http://quivergaming.com/) made of a very fine nap suede material. It works & looks great! I use that and simply follow the rulebook to place the starting home planets. Mine is 3' x 4', so will be good when playing with the expansions, which is something else to think about...

Finally, if you buy the 3' x 3' GF9 mat, you may find it too small if you play with four or more players with expansions. But in fairness, know that the "start here" nebula design on the GF9 mat allows for four players. So they obviously believe that the 3'x3' is plenty of space (sorry for the pun) for a four player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on the mat once and I love it. The quick setup and the way it makes the game easily portable make it ideal for me.

I intend to try it with 4 players once the expansions are out. I don't know if I'd ever want to play with 5 anyway, but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a 3' x 3' GripMat with a space image. It's not super grippy but enough to keep things from sliding easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opinions - I won't rule out picking up the GF9 one, especially if I see it cheap somewhere, but might spec out getting my own on neoprene. I like the way neoprene sort of 'schlopps' onto the table and the slight cushioning makes it easy to pick things up.

Anyone in the UK know where you can get your own printed up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

domus_ludorum wrote:
I like the way neoprene sort of 'schlopps' onto the table...

"schlopps" ... is that a British word? !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up another playmat from GF9 (the 'Whole Damn Verse' for Firefly - which I saw very cheap in a Black Friday sale) which I am assuming is made from the same materials as the ST:A ones and it is OK but it is definitely lacking in 'schlopp' factor.

The colours are not as sharp or vibrant as the neoprene mats I have for Legendary, Mage Wars or 'The Spoils'. Definitely will hold out for a neoprene one now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought/received a large neoprene starfield playmat by HCD Supplies (3' x 3')

Very good - cheaper than the Star Trek one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any official ruling on what size mat/space can/should be used for 5 players, and where to position them?

I just played my first 3-player and had a great time and plan on purchasing both upcoming expansions and we will eventually play 5 players. I'm as little frightened on playing 5 players on a 3x3 mat. I have a few extra space mats (3x3 and 6x3) that I'd like to update for Ascendancy by marking the starting locations but I'm unsure what to do for 5 players and how big a 5-player mat should be, if any official size has been mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.