United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
GO NAVY BEAT ARMY
badge
CABRAWLIST AND PROUD
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems we must be on the naughty list of someone this year.... our checking account was hacked into using my wife's personal information, i.e. identity theft. They pretty much wiped us out, and not having caught it until the following morning, we of course had some checks come back unfulfilled. Credit Unions insured and we will get our money back soon. Its just a real shock to wake up to check your balance and see a big fat 0. So this is a reminder, keep your personal information personal, never give correct answers to those secret questions.... i.e. Whats your oldest siblings middle name? Use something you will remember like cantaloupe or something. When available always use two step verification, yeah its a pain but it might just save your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: We were robbed.....nothing *throbbed* yet
Had they 'traced transactions' unto some "Burger King"-'station' within some 'Strip Joint'? It's becoming quite the "uncommon occurrences" lately. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that you were targetted! But, I'd really like to hear an estimate of how many hours it takes you to correct the situation. (Just to do a comparison to the hours taken in precautions against it happening.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Sorry that you were targetted! But, I'd really like to hear an estimate of how many hours it takes you to correct the situation. (Just to do a comparison to the hours taken in precautions against it happening.)
My mom had her identity stolen (they grabbed credit card applications out of her mailbox) and it took years for her to finally get it all straightened out. She had to write countless letters to a ton of different banks. It was a real nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always pick security/secret questions that are not verifiable.

Mother's maiden name, your elementary school name, your best friend's name...no!

I pick something that is more difficult to verify or make up an answer I will remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
GO NAVY BEAT ARMY
badge
CABRAWLIST AND PROUD
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Since I caught the transaction quickly, all he got to was our checking account. We put credit check freezes on both of SSN's, and some other steps to prevent them from ever being able to open any loan or credit account with out specific information and a phone verification to our cells with a codeword. We already have our money back... Thanks Navy Federal Credit Union... so I guess it took a day to lock down and protect all of our assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.