Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that plays well (solo-able prefered) with a few really well sculpted miniatures to paint.

I'm just finishing up painting the MicroArts Witches for my The Witches: A Discworld Game game and I have Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas: Malleus Maleficarum to do next but I want something to put on my Christmas wishlist... just in case Santa is listening.

What I want is something with a few really well done miniatures. I'm not an especial fan of Cthulu and I prefer to paint characters instead of ships (although Francis Drake would be nice... I think I don't want to paint spaceships). Also, I'm not a fan of zombies and painting a zombie horde would not be a fun task.

I also want to paint something that is actually used in the game. I painted fantasy miniatures (hobbits and rangers and such) in college and while I enjoyed it, after they were finished, they sat on the shelf with no further purpose. I mostly gave it up because it was so hard to find miniatures that were well sculpted and painting a poorly sculpted miniature is an exercise in sheer frustration for me.

Games where the miniatures are the whole point are also not great as I want to have a good game to play after I'm finished and I only have a limited amount of time for either one. I'm not a big fan of legacy games, dungeon crawls or roll-and-move games so there's that as well.

I know that I'm being really specific but there are so many games, I think there must be a couple that fit so I'm asking for your suggestions, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido Deluxe Edition might be worth a look. Really nice character miniatures and a very nice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a good solo experience, but Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and some of its many expansions have very nice character minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe, comes with 20 mechs and 5 characters.
Can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tokaido Deluxe Edition might be worth a look. Really nice character miniatures and a very nice game.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've actually been looking at this one. The only thing that is stopping me is that the game with the unpainted miniatures only has 16 and there are 35 in the pre-painted game. I would feel like I was missing half the characters! Plus the pre-painted version is hella expensive... and I don't get to paint the miniatures.

So I'm still up in the air about this one... although if I found a painted one for little enough, I wouldn't pass it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Not really a good solo experience, but Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and some of its many expansions have very nice character minis.

That looks like it would be very difficult to play solo... and it does have a lot of miniatures... and a lot of expansions! I'll examine it more closely, though and thank you for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kisco wrote:
Can be played solo.

This is another game I've heard a lot of interesting things about. Do you think the miniatures would be good for painting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edit: Ahhh geeze- I went back and re-read your post. You don't want dungeon crawls. Sorry about this...

Have you looked at Descent 2nd Edition? You can absolutely play it solo with the recently-released Road To Legend app. (You just have to take control of four characters.) And it's chock-full of miniatures, just begging to be painted (first image is unpainted, the rest showcase paintjobs that were done after purchase:

Yes, there are a few zombies in there- three or four I think- but look at all that other good stuff: fighters, wizards, dwarves, elves, dragons, etins, barghests... and that's just in the base game. There are tons of expansions as well.

In that same vein, the D&D Adventure System are designed to be solo-able straight out of the box. These include Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game. These games are also full of minis just begging to be painted:

Or, if you really want to go epic, you could look into Kingdom Death: Monster. It fits your criteria: solo-able and lots of unpainted minis. It's a bit on the pricey side though. People are saying the game-play is quite good though:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So... let's try this again:

How about Mechs vs. Minions. It's cooperative, so, at a guess, I'm thinking it might work as a solo game:

At first glance it might look like a dungeon crawl. But it's not. It's a programming game, where the players control four steamp-punkish mechs that have to defeat an onslaught of enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
So... let's try this again:

How about Mechs vs. Minions. It's cooperative, so, at a guess, I'm thinking it might work as a solo game:

At first glance it might look like a dungeon crawl. But it's not. It's a programming game, where the players control four steamp-punkish mechs that have to defeat an onslaught of enemies.

It does look like a dungeon crawl but since you say it isn't, I'll look into it.

The thing about dungeon crawls is that I got burned out on them back in the 70s and revisits in the 80s and 90s did nothing to re-endear them to me. I wasn't going to complain, however, since you are a stranger who is taking the time to point out a game I might like at my request and that's very nice of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kingdom Death Monster isn't a dungeon crawl either. It's a civ-building game that happens to include fighting monsters as well. But it's, uh... very dark, thematically speaking, and extraordinarily expensive. There is a kickstarter campaign coming up soon for the second edition, so if it looks interesting to you that would be the most affordable way to get it. You'd just have to wait a year before playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Quote:

I've actually been looking at this one. The only thing that is stopping me is that the game with the unpainted miniatures only has 16 and there are 35 in the pre-painted game. I would feel like I was missing half the characters! Plus the pre-painted version is hella expensive... and I don't get to paint the miniatures.

So I'm still up in the air about this one... although if I found a painted one for little enough, I wouldn't pass it up.

Not quite. The Deluxe edition is a subset of the Collector's edition that was issued to Kickstarter backers. The latter contains 35 miniatures and comes in two versions: painted and unpainted. So you might be able to put your hands on an unpainted Collector's Edition.

Edit: Alternatively, you can buy the Deluxe edition along with the Collector's Accessory Pack. Both seem to be readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This may or may not be up your alley. Have you considered Star Wars: Rebellion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure that counts as "a few miniatures".

Also, not solo-able.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Kisco wrote:
Can be played solo.

This is another game I've heard a lot of interesting things about. Do you think the miniatures would be good for painting?

Yes, there are already some great pictures of painted miniatures:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Kingdom Death Monster isn't a dungeon crawl either. It's a civ-building game that happens to include fighting monsters as well. But it's, uh... very dark, thematically speaking, and extraordinarily expensive. There is a kickstarter campaign coming up soon for the second edition, so if it looks interesting to you that would be the most affordable way to get it. You'd just have to wait a year before playing it.

I'll look at the kickstarter but it may well be too expensive right now... if it's after Christmas, I'd be more likely to have money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casus Belli wrote:
wren08 wrote:
Quote:

Not quite. The Deluxe edition is a subset of the Collector's edition that was issued to Kickstarter backers. The latter contains 35 miniatures and comes in two versions: painted and unpainted. So you might be able to put your hands on an unpainted Collector's Edition.

Edit: Alternatively, you can buy the Deluxe edition along with the Collector's Accessory Pack. Both seem to be readily available.

That does seem to be the way to go- I was thinking that the Accessory pack had the same miniatures included in the Deluxe edition. Also I didn't know the Collector's edition came unpainted- that's very helpful, thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulwei wrote:
This may or may not be up your alley. Have you considered Star Wars: Rebellion?

I really haven't because there are so many miniatures and most of them are spaceships. Thank you for mentioning it though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Runebound (Third Edition). It only has 6 hero miniatures (and an optional +1 for each of the 4 expansions). The game plays 2-4 players and that's also the number of miniatures you will be using at the same time. In my opinion it's also a great solo game but that requires you to play both the hero and the enemy at the same time during fights.

One day I hope to paint my miniatures as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kisco wrote:
wren08 wrote:
Kisco wrote:
Can be played solo.

Oh lovely! I love seeing what other people have done- it's good inspiration. Are any of these yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wspier wrote:
How about Runebound (Third Edition). It only has 6 hero miniatures (and an optional +1 for each of the 4 expansions). The game plays 2-4 players and that's also the number of miniatures you will be using at the same time. In my opinion it's also a great solo game but that requires you to play both the hero and the enemy at the same time during fights.

One day I hope to paint my miniatures as well...

That looks very good! Just a few miniatures and if it's solo-able it would be just about perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do, rats, cockroaches, giant spiders and centipedes count as non-monster?

If so, Mice and Mystics has some excellent miniatures to paint and play with. Ah, just read the bit against Dungeon Crawls so perhaps not suitable after all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some assembly required, but quality-wise, Gorechosen I'd say ranks as "pretty good":

Base game has only four minis (the one on the far left is a magazine add-on), though comes with rules for an additional four characters, for whom you can find the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
Do, rats, cockroaches, giant spiders and centipedes count as non-monster?

If so, Mice and Mystics has some excellent miniatures to paint and play with. Ah, just read the bit against Dungeon Crawls so perhaps not suitable after all

Thank you! I have looked at Mice and Mystics (including a fantastic 3D board that one person made!) but it seems like it would only have limited replayabilty as it's story driven. It seems a shame to put so much work into a game you can only play once or twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Kisco wrote:
wren08 wrote:
Kisco wrote:
Can be played solo.

Oh lovely! I love seeing what other people have done- it's good inspiration. Are any of these yours?

Not at all, I'm not a mini-painter
Have a look at the complete Image Gallery in Scythe, you will find other examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.