10 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Dunwich Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: New Investigators Starting Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if anyone knew if there would be suggested starting decks for the new investigators like there are for the investigators in the core set? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone knew if there would be suggested starting decks for the new investigators like there are for the investigators in the core set? Thank you!

It seems likely that there will be an update to the decklists document on the FFG website that contains starting decks and strategy tips for every investigator, even if there is nothing in the rules for the deluxe expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hartwell
msg tools
Will The Dunwich Legacy provide enough cards to build decks 3 and 4 for a 4 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hartwell wrote:
Will The Dunwich Legacy provide enough cards to build decks 3 and 4 for a 4 player game?

1 Core + 1 Dunwich will almost certainly be enough for 3 sub-optimal Investigators (2 Arkhams and the Dunwich of the remaining Class) and not enough for 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Hartwell wrote:

1 Core + 1 Dunwich will almost certainly be enough for 3 sub-optimal Investigators (2 Arkhams and the Dunwich of the remaining Class) and not enough for 4.

I wonder if this is correct?

At my FLGS we're playing a 4-Investigator campaign with only one Core Deck. For the 1st scenario we each had decks of around 20 cards and that was fine to play out the scenario.

We then spent XP to buy some higher level cards, so now everybody has decks closer to 25 cards and we're about to play the second scenario.

When Dunwich arrives, each player will decide whether they want to carry over their existing Investigator or start a new one. But our decks will be very close to 30 cards. I would assume Dunwich would have enough zero-level cards to fill out each deck.

If you want to claim that such decks are "sub-optimal" that's another issue but it doesn't bother any of us. From a purely "card count" point of view, I believe we'll be able to build four 30-card legal decks once Dunwich is unboxed.

Or anyway that's what we're hoping for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Hartwell wrote:

At my FLGS we're playing a 4-Investigator campaign with only one Core Deck. For the 1st scenario we each had decks of around 20 cards and that was fine to play out the scenario.

We then spent XP to buy some higher level cards, so now everybody has decks closer to 25 cards and we're about to play the second scenario.

When Dunwich arrives, each player will decide whether they want to carry over their existing Investigator or start a new one. But our decks will be very close to 30 cards. I would assume Dunwich would have enough zero-level cards to fill out each deck.

If you want to claim that such decks are "sub-optimal" that's another issue but it doesn't bother any of us. From a purely "card count" point of view, I believe we'll be able to build four 30-card legal decks once Dunwich is unboxed.

"Enough for a game" is subjective, and I wasn't entirely clear. The announced information is 59 Player cards, and it's safe to assume that that includes Signature Cards and Weaknesses, and the rest will be split more or less evenly among the six colours, with a relatively small number of higher level cards. I'm guessing about 30 or 36 Level 0 Cards, which would be almost but not quite enough for four 30 Card decks if 20 is what you can build with a Core. I was assuming that getting to 30 is the absolute minimum, and by sub-optimal I meant without the more interesting deckbuilding one or two Investigators could make with Core + Dunwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
JimZam wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Hartwell wrote:

"Enough for a game" is subjective, and I wasn't entirely clear. The announced information is 59 Player cards, and it's safe to assume that that includes Signature Cards and Weaknesses, and the rest will be split more or less evenly among the six colours, with a relatively small number of higher level cards. I'm guessing about 30 or 36 Level 0 Cards, which would be almost but not quite enough for four 30 Card decks if 20 is what you can build with a Core. I was assuming that getting to 30 is the absolute minimum, and by sub-optimal I meant without the more interesting deckbuilding one or two Investigators could make with Core + Dunwich.

Thanks for the follow-up info, we'll soldier on until we can get some aid from the Dunwich box.

We just finished the second scenario and we are definitely a bit on the sub-optimal side modest

In fact, those masked cultists kicked our a****! But we did manage to snag two of them (including the boss). If only our FBI dude had remembered to bring along his dynamite (he mulliganed his dyno without telling anybody) we might have captured a third.

But we had to exit running at full speed for our lives.

Still and all, we're enjoying the game so much that we really don't have any plans other than to beef up our decks as best we can whenever we get the opportunity. Eventually we'll be more competitive.

If nothing else, our group is proving that you can play this game at the bottom-dweller level and still survive and have a great time at our weekly FLGS sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be able to.
Two Arkham investigators will use up all of the level 0 cards from 4 classes, and all but 2 of the neutrals.
That means the Dunwich investigator will have 10 in-class cards from Arkham, 6 in-class cards from Dunwich, 2 Arkham neutrals, 2 Dunwich neutrals, and 5 out of class cards. That's only 25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cameron, it's true we probably won't all be fully loaded w/30 cards. But we have been spending our XP, and when we play the 3rd scenario of the original box (tomorrow) we should be able to get pretty close with the release of the Dunwich box.

Not sure if any (or how many) of our 4 players will choose a new Investigator. But at this moment, after having spent most of our XP from the first two scenarios, we have the following totals, not counting the cards you're not supposed to count:

Wendy has 26 cards, no leftover XP, and one permanent Mental Trauma. (Wendy bought 4 cards and upgraded one)

Roland has 22 cards, 1 XP to spend. (He bought 5 cards)

Daisy has 20 cards, 2XP to spend. (She bought 3 cards)

Agnes has 19 cards, 2XP to spend (She also bought 3 cards)

If we have to wait for the first small box to get to 30, that's okay. It's not like we're competing in a tournament or anything, we're just playing Arkham, and enjoying it a lot.

EDIT: Also to the OP's point, it would actually be helpful for us if there were suggested starting decks for new Investigators, as I'm sure there will be. That way we can make relatively painless adjustments if somebody decides to switch for the Dunwich box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.