United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got our first session tonight and I wanted to check something. Had a quick look through the forums but I didn't want to risk spoilers so forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else.

As mentioned we have our first session tonight please so no spoilers.

In the prologue you are given the instruction:

Quote:
Any time a plater reaches a multiple of 3 glory, have that player name any unnamed island on the board, then take the appropriate milestone and read aloud its entry in the Captain's Booke.

So does this mean:

1) When any player reaches 3 glory they name an island. Then when a player reaches 6 glory the next island is named. Then 9 then 12.

or

2) When any player reaches any multiple of 3 they name an island. Example: Player A reaches 3 glory and names an island. Player B reaches 3 glory and names an island. Player A reaches 6 glory and names an island. Player C reaches 3 glory and names an island

I think its option 2 but wanted to check..

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is option 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
It is option 2.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's set up this way so the prologue teaches the mechanics and seeds the starting board, but doesn't go on for too long. In a 4-5 player game, you'll likely see it end after the fourth person hits 3 Glory. In a 3-player game, you'll probably see two people hit the 3 Glory Milestone and one person get a 3 Glory and a 6 Glory milestone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It's set up this way so the prologue teaches the mechanics and seeds the starting board, but doesn't go on for too long. In a 4-5 player game, you'll likely see it end after the fourth person hits 3 Glory. In a 3-player game, you'll probably see two people hit the 3 Glory Milestone and one person get a 3 Glory and a 6 Glory milestone.

Yeah I figured as much. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Esther
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well that wasn't very clear in the rules, so we played until someone hit 12, it went on for way longer than it should have as a result, and we explored islands pretty heavily, I hope that doesn't affect our playthrough too much? S:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shwayne wrote:
Well that wasn't very clear in the rules, so we played until someone hit 12, it went on for way longer than it should have as a result, and we explored islands pretty heavily, I hope that doesn't affect our playthrough too much? S:

You aren't the first to make that mistake. My thinking is that it will result in the next couple of games leaning much more heavily than normal toward trade and build over exploration. I would expect your game to settle into a more "normal" pattern by Game 2 or 3 or so.

(fairly minor spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I would expect that after your first unlock has been claimed, the game will feel the same as though you'd played an extra game (or possibly two) before that unlock. It would be good for someone to claim that unlock milestone as soon as possible -- though with less exploring to do, I would expect it to be claimed very quickly anyway.

One possible issue is that one of the Game 1 milestones involves exploring a high-difficulty site. As long as you have at least one left, you should be ok; otherwise you might need to fudge the rules slightly -- allow your group to "re-explore" one of the high-difficulty sites; that player would get the normal +1 glory for success and would be able to claim the milestone, but would skip the Captain's Booke entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:

One possible issue is that one of the Game 1 milestones involves exploring a high-difficulty site. As long as you have at least one left, you should be ok; otherwise you might need to fudge the rules slightly -- allow your group to "re-explore" one of the high-difficulty sites; that player would get the normal +1 glory for success and would be able to claim the milestone, but would skip the Captain's Booke entry.

If I remember correctly, the game 1 milestone says explore the highest number site at an island. It does not specify a number. So if the highest available site at an island is a 2 it will still qualify for the milestone.

Furthermore, I believe the unlock milestone is the raid 6 difficulty site without sinking. This will always be available as it is not possible to complete unless a six has been explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JRosen9 wrote:

If I remember correctly, the game 1 milestone says explore the highest number site at an island. It does not specify a number. So if the highest available site at an island is a 2 it will still qualify for the milestone.

It says "the highest numbered site on an island" not "the highest available numbered site on an island".

The game should work fine even if you decide not to houserule this milestone. It would just wait until a new island has been discovered.

You might have more fun if you follow Becq's suggestion, or not. It's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
JRosen9 wrote:

It says "the highest numbered site on an island" not "the highest available numbered site on an island".

The game should work fine even if you decide not to houserule this milestone. It would just wait until a new island has been discovered.

You might have more fun if you follow Becq's suggestion, or not. It's up to you.

Odds are high that even games that have "heavily explored" the starting islands still have at least one of the difficulty 6 sites available, so it may be a non-issue. But if all of the difficulty 6 sites *were* explored, I'd fairly strongly recommend house-ruling that milestone in some way rather than just putting it off to the next island. The "why" would be a spoiler (see the spoiler section below, if necessary).

The most important thing, really, is that the unlock milestone will still be available to you, and that's critical for moving the campaign clock along.

Here's the "why" mentioned above (Box 2 spoiler):
The highest difficulty site goes up quite a lot for future islands -- so it would make that milestone quite a lot more difficult to claim. Also, (Box 3 spoiler)
Those new high difficulty sites (or some of them) are already tied to a new milestone. They definitely don't need any more rewards attached to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:

The highest difficulty site goes up quite a lot for future islands -- so it would make that milestone quite a lot more difficult to claim. Also, (Box 3 spoiler)
Those new high difficulty sites (or some of them) are already tied to a new milestone. They definitely don't need any more rewards attached to them.

So, I completely spaced out on this earlier, but I think you have missed something here:

A player can only claim one milestone per turn. The player gets to choose which, but the other would have to wait for another Island.

It's theoretically possible for a correctly-played prologue to have all the highest sites explored before game 1. House-ruling may make the game more fun (or not) but it isn't necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
So, I completely spaced out on this earlier, but I think you have missed something here:

A player can only claim one milestone per turn. The player gets to choose which, but the other would have to wait for another Island.

I don't think that matters. If that requirement for a milestone is "do something", then once you do that thing, you meet that requirement, presumably for the remainder of the game, assuming that thing can't be undone somehow. (That's less true if the requirement is "have something" and that something can be lost.)

So if at some point you manage to "do something" that meets the requirements for two milestones, then you claim one milestone right away (your choice), then the other milestone on the following turn -- assuming someone else doesn't claim it first. In fact, you must claim it the following turn, since you are required to claim a milestone if you qualify for one or more at the end of an action.

Quote:
It's theoretically possible for a correctly-played prologue to have all the highest sites explored before game 1. House-ruling may make the game more fun (or not) but it isn't necessary.

It may be technically possible, but I doubt that it's remotely likely. It would probably require players to collude to achieve that result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:

I don't think that matters. If that requirement for a milestone is "do something", then once you do that thing, you meet that requirement, presumably for the remainder of the game, assuming that thing can't be undone somehow. (That's less true if the requirement is "have something" and that something can be lost.).

I don't agree with that interpretation at all, but I guess the rules are ambiguous on the point.

(Once you're inferring that the requirement is met until the end of the game, why stop there? If the game ends before you can claim it, you should still meet the requirement next game right? And if you decide that's true, why not have Game 1 look back and check if someone discovered the highest numbered island in the prologue? This seems like madness to me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played prologue and game 1 tonight. Thank you for your answers they were helpful. I have another 2 questions though and again please no spoilers past game 1 (or uses boxes and make it clear) thank you!

Once a milestone is completed and resolved is it always destroyed? I ask because some of them specifically say "destroy this milestone" in the appropriate Captains Booke entry, but some don't. However it would seem odd to have a completed one back in for the next game. We assumed they were all destroyed, and it's just not written on each entry.

This leads me on to my second question (which I'm pretty sure is in the rules but I'm already in bed); do you place all milestones out at the start of each game, meaning a mix of old uncompleted ones and new ones?

Thanks for your help, love the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ratliff
msg tools
All completed milestones are destroyed, and all uncompleted ones you have unlocked so far get put out for each game until they are completed. If you happen to unlock boxes 2 and 3 in the same game like my group, you'll wind up having more milestones out than spaces to place them, in which case you just set them continuing down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCheeto71 wrote:
All completed milestones are destroyed, and all uncompleted ones you have unlocked so far get put out for each game until they are completed. If you happen to unlock boxes 2 and 3 in the same game like my group, you'll wind up having more milestones out than spaces to place them, in which case you just set them continuing down the line.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
I don't agree with that interpretation at all, but I guess the rules are ambiguous on the point.

(Once you're inferring that the requirement is met until the end of the game, why stop there? If the game ends before you can claim it, you should still meet the requirement next game right? And if you decide that's true, why not have Game 1 look back and check if someone discovered the highest numbered island in the prologue? This seems like madness to me.)

Because the rules specify which things carry over into the next game, and none of those triggers are listed? (Well, there are some milestones based in part on things kept from game to game, but that's a matter of "re-qualifying".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.