Subject: Urbion: The Lord of Confusion (an unofficial fan expansion) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I’m constantly thinking about the 2nd edition of „Urbion” and possible new expansions. One of the simpliest ideas for an expansion could be „The Lord of Confusion”.
Components: 4 „Lord of Confusion” cards (=4 Meta cards)
After the set-up, shuffle 4 cards of this expansion in the Dream card deck.
If you reveal a Lord of Confusion card during:
a)the phase I (discard a Dream card to establish balance& draw a new City card to replace each claimed City card) – set aside all Lord of Confusion cards if you draw them (draw a new Dream card instead of a Lord of Confusion card) and shuffle them back into the Dream card deck at the end of the turn.
b)the phase II (replenish your hand) – shuffle all City cards on the table and place them back on the table (starting with the upper position). Once the Lord of Confusion card has been resolved, discard it. [variant: shuffle all City cards on the table and the City card deck together and place appropriate number of the City cards on the table]
Your comments are highly appreciated!
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most oniverse expansions, there should be a pro and con element to them to 'retain the balance' from their addition to the game.

If the lords are going to mix up the cities when they appear this will change what cards can be played where but won't really affect any balancing already done. The impact could be minimal in fact.

How about when a lord of chaos is drawn in phase 1 they will add themselves to the opposite side of a city taking a value of 5 (the opposite what a chaos card does and infact overrides the chaos effect). This would immediately balance a city drawn with a chaos and a lord while and partially imbalance everything else except another lord, which would also balance.

If drawn in phase 2 choose either discard the lord and 'immediately establish balance and draw any new cities with corresponding dreams as normal' then shuffle all the dream cards from each side of all the city cards and reassign them randomly but evenly back to the city cards. Or; remove all cities, shuffle them back into the remaining unclaimed cities, then deal 4 new cities back without altering dreams. The lord must then be added to one side you choose but this cannot be the same side of a city as a chaos or another lord, they will preferentially take an unoccupied side above anything else but if all sides are occupied they will destroy (remove) the lowest value dreams (including chaos but not other lords if needed), preferentially opposite a chaos card if present.

Extra rules: The limit for a side with a lord is always 2 card rather than 3 (they want to control their domain). Subsequently they can only swapped or moved into a group of 1 or less. They can be destroyed with the book of spells. They will never occupy the same side of a city as another lord.

I've not thought that through in complete detail but fleshes your idea a bit further and adds a bit of theme to the lords. I can imagine to the lords wanting to take part of the city for themselves and they are too unruly to keep in hand (just like the chaos) but they have their uses for helping control the districts of the city, particularly if two lords are opposing each other directly. There should probably be 8 lords (one for each side of a city in play). These rules would also work with the other expansions.

Fun times, enjoyed thinking about that, Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the sharing of your ideas! I will test them!
„Like most oniverse expansions, there should be a pro and con element to them to 'retain the balance' from their addition to the game”.
My inspiration for this expansion comes from „Onirim: Sphinx, Diver, and Confusion” (my favourite expansion) – „Dreams are neither good nor bad; in other words, Dreams are not always related to Sognae or Incubi”
So, the Lord of Confusion can make some things better or worse (OK, I can agree, that it has no influence on already balanced City cards). Sometimes you want to play a Dream card but a City card hasn’t an appropriate symbol on it – and then comes the Lord of Confusion, and after the shuffling you can play this card. I can also agree that there must be more than 4 Lord of Confusion cards (probably 6 cards is a sweet spot).
Actually, one of my first ideas was similar to yours – the Lord of Chaos, who will move all Chaos cards to the opposite side with the reverse value. But my test showed some problems (and the gameplay was very Onirim-ish) – how many Chaos cards (1 or all) I place on the opposite side? What should I do if there are no Chaos cards on the table? etc.
And then my view switched to the City cards because they are always on the table. It’s interesting that the result of the shuffling is always ambiguous (e.g., the result is better for 1 City card, for 2 City card – worse, for 1 – the same; the next time – the result is better for 3 cards, for 1 – worse etc.).
Maybe one day I will return to the idea of the Lord of Chaos.
BTW, I have some other ideas: the Lord of Unbalance, the pawn: Annihilator etc., but I will only reveal it when I will be satisfied with the result - I like simple, but elegant ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.