Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Arena Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons & I were excited about the idea of an Arena mode (as outlined in the Season 2 Kickstarter for the SotM app)... but we never found a ruleset we liked.

So we made our own!

http://akapastorguy.blogspot.com/2016/11/sentinels-of-multiv...

Let me know what you think!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This might not be the most constructive comment but Sentinel Tactics totally scratched my itch to play SotM competitively. Have you tried it? Rules are pretty hard to get into, but the fan-made FAQ helps a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
It's not a suggestion for a competitive mode, it's more like a boss rush.

The only comments I would make:
- Seems like it would favor heroes with healing.
- If you're going to provide in-between-rounds healing, it shouldn't be based on # of heroes. Makes it even easier with larger teams.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
It's not a suggestion for a competitive mode, it's more like a boss rush.


Oh sorry, arena mode sounds so much like hero v hero, and and I didn't read the whole blogpost but at some point it sounded like last man standing.

Now to actually add something relevant! Someone on the forums already started to work on a campaign, I would favor that. New villains kind of randomly popping in seems less thematic. I'm also toying with ideas about a campaign mode that feels a lot like Pandemic Legacy. The main thing I would want to have in it is character-development, increasing max HP, starting hand size, getting permanent damage modifiers, starting with ongoing/equipment cards already in play, maybe even getting additional phases each turn. If a hero gets incapped, another variant of that hero would come in next game. The big challenge would be to implement the part of Pandemic Legacy which made it balanced. I didn't even yet have ideas for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
wallwaster wrote:
This might not be the most constructive comment but Sentinel Tactics totally scratched my itch to play SotM competitively. Have you tried it? Rules are pretty hard to get into, but the fan-made FAQ helps a lot.


Do you have a link to the fan made FAQ?

http://www.spiffworld.com/tactics/files/tactics_faq.pdf
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got me thinking

Sentinels would have a lot of opportunity for a Legacy game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Got me thinking

Sentinels would have a lot of opportunity for a Legacy game.

but why limit yourself to 1 hero out or around 30?
*rimshot*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wallwaster wrote:
tosx wrote:
It's not a suggestion for a competitive mode, it's more like a boss rush.


Oh sorry, arena mode sounds so much like hero v hero, and and I didn't read the whole blogpost but at some point it sounded like last man standing.

Now to actually add something relevant! Someone on the forums already started to work on a campaign, I would favor that. New villains kind of randomly popping in seems less thematic. I'm also toying with ideas about a campaign mode that feels a lot like Pandemic Legacy. The main thing I would want to have in it is character-development, increasing max HP, starting hand size, getting permanent damage modifiers, starting with ongoing/equipment cards already in play, maybe even getting additional phases each turn. If a hero gets incapped, another variant of that hero would come in next game. The big challenge would be to implement the part of Pandemic Legacy which made it balanced. I didn't even yet have ideas for that.


I'll post the full campaign writeup once we finish. Next up is Iron Legacy, the finale of the last season of the main campaign - the team approaches him fresh off a storming win vs. Advanced Ennead, having seized the Rod of Anubis. Paul Parsons, as the almost-immortal Final Legacy, awaits them in the one place on Earth where he could learn to refine the Elixir of Life; from a master who has done it once before...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:

I'll post the full campaign writeup once we finish. Next up is Iron Legacy, the finale of the last season of the main campaign - the team approaches him fresh off a storming win vs. Advanced Ennead, having seized the Rod of Anubis. Paul Parsons, as the almost-immortal Final Legacy, awaits them in the one place on Earth where he could learn to refine the Elixir of Life; from a master who has done it once before...


Now I know you've got story covered (very well, in fact) in your campaign. I would want two other things from the campaign/legacy mode, character development and self-balancing beetween individual matches. Do you have anything of that sort?

Btw sorry for hijacking this thread with campaign talk, I'll open another one soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wallwaster wrote:
greylag wrote:

I'll post the full campaign writeup once we finish. Next up is Iron Legacy, the finale of the last season of the main campaign - the team approaches him fresh off a storming win vs. Advanced Ennead, having seized the Rod of Anubis. Paul Parsons, as the almost-immortal Final Legacy, awaits them in the one place on Earth where he could learn to refine the Elixir of Life; from a master who has done it once before...


Now I know you've got story covered (very well, in fact) in your campaign. I would want two other things from the campaign/legacy mode, character development and self-balancing beetween individual matches. Do you have anything of that sort?

Btw sorry for hijacking this thread with campaign talk, I'll open another one soon.

We have a bit of character development, more in terms of story than mechanics, though there are 1-2 mechanics (for example, Fanatic is now nemesis to every form of Omnitron thanks to some things that happened). We have a mini campaign planned once we're done with this, containing every villain not yet encountered. That will have much heavier character development stuff, based around the Titles from Kagara's deck. We also balance individual matchups already, adding tougher challenges from custom cards for easy opponents.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.