Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
richard parker
United Kingdom
sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spotted this 'article' by UK paper 'The Telegraph'.

Can we do something about this please? They really should know better, by now...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/christmas/0/the-top-10-family-gam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. It's the 1970's all over again. Some real shite there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
To save everyone a click:

Monopoly
Scrabble
Bannanagrams
Risk
Trivial Pursuit
Chess
Cranium
Battleship
Jenga
Clue(do)

Also honorable mention to Twilight Imperium 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a joke, no? surprise

We should send them the BGG Holiday Gift Guide but the 2016 version is not published yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kisco wrote:
This is a joke, no? surprise

We should send them the BGG Holiday Gift Guide but the 2016 version is not published yet

They won't pay any attention. This isn't about actually informing people of anything, it's about filling space. Sad, but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikthechief wrote:
Can we do something about this please?
Yes. We can ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard parker
United Kingdom
sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Yes. We can ignore it.

It's top of the google search for Xmas board games, if we ignore it, doesn't it just validate peoples preconceptions of board games in general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikthechief wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Yes. We can ignore it.

It's top of the google search for Xmas board games, if we ignore it, doesn't it just validate peoples preconceptions of board games in general?
Nothing we'd do would have any effect.

The people who will look at the first site they find, see the standard slew of board games and decide that's what they should get... those people weren't going to buy "real" board games in any scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rikthechief wrote:
doesn't it just validate peoples preconceptions of board games in general?

Let's ignore that too.

Seriously guys, there's nothing worse than having your hobby become trendy.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Yes. We can ignore it.

The people who will look at the first site they find, see the standard slew of board games and decide that's what they should get... those people weren't going to buy "real" board games in any scenario.

Right. What has me stumped is why these people needed a reminder that Monopoly, Risk, Clue, Jenga etc. exist. I guess that's what Mutton_Chops meant when referring to the need to fill space. Nobody in the editor's office thought this was actually providing a service to their readers. Somebody just said, "Hey, we've still got a few pages to fill. What should we put in there?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These sort of Top 10 lists always leave me disappointed, especially when they could be an opportunity to evangelize my favorite hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming they copy and paste the same thing every year

Bananagrams is marked as a "relative newcomer", and thats 10 years old according to bgg.

To be fair, they are going to list games you can buy from the local shops (not board gaming shops). No idea what its like in the UK, but here in Australia, all that shops like Target/Kmart stock are these sort of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody who knows anything is about to start accusing the Telegraph of quality journalism any time soon anyway.

Yes, these are all common games in high street stores, but what mystifies me is that even so, some high street stores do carry stuff like Carcasonne, Catan and others. Sure, not exactly ground-breaking by hobby standards, but better than the stuff quoted here.

Even more mystifying is the way it comes almost twenty years after Which? magazine (a serious consumer comparison magazine), published a list including Catan and Modern Art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Yes. We can ignore it.

I disagree, if you put the right information in front of people, they often respond positively.

It was the late 90s, as I mentioned above, Which? magazine in the UK ran an article of board games and rated Modern Art rather highly, along with a list of suggested stockists (primarily FLGS). I was friends with the manager of our FLGS at the time and ended up spending a lot of time in the store over the run-up to Christmas manning the phones.

I don't know how many copies of Modern Art we shifted that year, but it was an awful lot and the orders kept coming in after Christmas, eventually tapering off in the new year.

Similarly, I used to write a games column for a regional magazine whilst running another FLGS and we'd see a good few people coming in and looking at stuff off the back of that.

Now, I know this is different from "first site" browsers, but the principle stands, anybody taking the effort to read the article is clearly interested and seeing the same old stuff on the first page might be enough to make the less dedicated assume everything is status quo from Christmas 1977.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing naff board games at Christmas is an old British tradition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look! The Telegraph may have redeemed themselves:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/christmas/0/20-best-christmas-boa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
greendayfan333 wrote:
Look! The Telegraph my have redeemed themselves:

They played us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
I'm assuming they copy and paste the same thing every year

Looks likely. No byeline. I believe it may be another piece by that Private Eye favourite Phil Space.

squiffles wrote:
These sort of Top 10 lists always leave me disappointed, especially when they could be an opportunity to evangelize my favorite hobby.

Honestly, that's one of the reasons it can be hard to get decent board game articles into the media. Too many prospective writers see it as a chance to "evangelize" which really doesn't lead to quality pitches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greendayfan333 wrote:
Look! The Telegraph my have redeemed themselves:

There are 2 or 3 I've never heard of (Happy Salmon & Geistesblitz 2.0, Pandánte sounds familiar but I may be confusing it with another panda themed game).

I thought Taboo was fairly well known though - that seems like the kind of game that would have featured in their first list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bannanagrams, Cranium* & Jenga are actually reasonably good family games

* I really dislike Cranium, at least partly because it's the kind of game where people say "go on it'll be fun" and refuse to believe that anyone won't like it, whereas people are quite happy to accept that someone doesn't like a game like Chess). I still think it's a reasonable game for people who like that kind of game though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fambans `
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're in an alternate reality where Avalon Hill was never founded and eurogames were never invented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
rikthechief wrote:
Yes. We can ignore it.

I disagree, if you put the right information in front of people, they often respond positively.
And how are you going to do that? Page views and comments are two metrics websites use to measure success. They'd likely view your attempts to "correct" the article as proof of its success.

At best, you'd be hoping that one of the people reading this article will suffer through all the lame suggestions and read the comments? The people who are at risk of being swayed by this article aren't going to be convinced by your comments. They probably won't even bother reading them. There are tons of articles like this out there. Trying to "fix" them is pointless.

So a few people see this and think board games are lame. It's okay if we don't convert 100% of the population to boardgaming. I'm not going to sweat it if we miss a couple of people. There's also tons of great info out there. If someone wants to find information about gaming, they can. I can't be bothered to worry about the ones who give up after the first Google listing. If nothing else, when they hit Target or Barnes and Nobles they'll see a much wider selection than Monopoly and Jenga. There's some respectable games being carried at the major outlets these days. I think you're blowing the problem out of proportion. Things will be fine even without our intervention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greendayfan333 wrote:
Look! The Telegraph may have redeemed themselves:

"Snatch-It" (number 3 on the list) used to be called "Snatch". I can't imagine why they changed it Actually, it's long been a source of puerile amusement for my wife and I, since she bought our copy (primarily on the basis of the name), and thus it is always spoken of in the possessive case, e.g. "Where is your Snatch, my dear?". Oh, how we laugh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As crappy as that list is, how did Ticket to Ride not make the top 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anybody is advocating spamming the contents section, that would, as you point out, merely reinforce the idea that they've published the right story.

And in principle, I agree with the idea that people who are looking for board games will not sheepishly see this advert and assume that this is the status quo and, in fact, *are* actually open minded and looking for something new.

The point is, putting the right information out there. We've seen a few articles come out this year (like every year, in fairness), some a re clever and balanced and others are "Hey, Monopoly! What a great game!"

The (first) Telegraph article is shocking whilst I admit the second is an improvement. Others have surfaced in other threads and they are all better lists in one way or another.

I've done my time in the trenches and submitted lists to printed media in the past (lists that would get crucified by at least 40% of the users on here, but that's the nature of BGG).

People are often looking for a new boardgame, something better than what they have and whilst articles like this don't help them, they are likely to remain open to suggestion by the right article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.