Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just happened to be able to pick up a 1st edition of Snowdonia from my FLGS and haven't played it yet.

What else besides the miniatures makes a 2nd edition?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure Tony will be along shortly to put you right, but from memory, the differences are:

1) The minis;
2) The size of the bag;
3) The logos on the outside of the box.

I don't think there was much else. We had the first edition, but when we got round to opening it it contained Italian cards. We contacted Tony and they had run out of copies by this time, so we waited until the next edition was out and he sent us another copy. Eventually, we created a hybrid of the first and second edition and sold it at Essen keeping all the bits we liked most for our edition (we liked the wooden meeples and wanted to keep the original box for example). For this reason we spent quite a bit of time comparing the quality of the bits and we didn't find much difference though some of the "iron bars" seemed to have slightly iffy paint work. Not sure which edition that was though.

Anyhow, upshot of all that is that firstly, beware that you too may have the wrong cards. Secondly, the first edition is just fine and, if you are desperate for the minis, I have a spare set!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The biggest differences are the minis vs pawns. And I think the 2nd ed has linen finish cards. If you'd rather have the minis, I'd be more than happy to trade. I've been looking for a set of the pawns for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very happy to purchase a 1st edition at Spiel (and have it signed by the designer). I prefer wood over plastic in this kind of Euro's.

There aren't any differences in gameplay I believe .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pugnax555 wrote:
...I think the 2nd ed has linen finish cards...

Quite possible; we wouldn't have compared those as the Italian ones weren't really an option!

Glad to see that we weren't the only one who liked the wooden pawns...

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:

Anyhow, upshot of all that is that firstly, beware that you too may have the wrong cards. Secondly, the first edition is just fine and, if you are desperate for the minis, I have a spare set!

Susie_Cat.

Thanks for the heads up on the cards! I only unwrapped the shrink on them and didn't even look closely at them. blush I'll give them a better look tonight.

I appreciate the offer on the minis but if they are merely decoration then the cost of shipping outweighs just buying them on Amazon if I really want them.

I had someone once get me a bunch of Crown Royal bags from a local bar.

Thanks all for the information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
novato novato
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wooden? who are giving wooden pawns, i want a set!!!!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, "upgrading" to minis for the second edition wasn't ideal for a lot of us. I actually bought the minis because Tony was a little ambiguous as to whether my replacement copy would include them. It did of course, which means I now have an unwanted set!

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked all of the cards last night and they are all in English so I'm set. From what I was able to find the 2nd Edition has the figures and the Jungfraubahn & Mount Washington expansions included.

Guess I'll have to at least hunt down the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Factoid: Jungfrau/Mt Washington was manufactured at the same time as 2nd Ed (by IBC) _but_ was sold separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
Factoid: Jungfrau/Mt Washington was manufactured at the same time as 2nd Ed (by IBC) _but_ was sold separately.

Excellent news and thanks for the note Tony!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.