GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal and map layout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like playing coin solo on vassal. I prefer to play with opponents but that is not always easy to organize.

The series works out very well when playing against the bots and vassal does the counting and initial setups for you.

I often wonder though if the map layouts could be tweaked to match computer monitors.

Computer monitors come in standard resolutions like HD, 2k and 4k. (Many laptops have smaller resolutions and it will be impossible to show the whole map readably on the screen.)

I use a 2k monitor on a swivel stand. For Andean Abyss I place the monitor in portrait and I edited the vassal module to add a zoom level that matches the monitor width.

For Falling Sky playing in Landscape mode makes more sense and again it is easy enough to add a zoom level that makes a nice fit. However the card area is tagged on to the bottom. There may have been a good reason for this but in my mind it would have made sense too if the area was placed on side. In that case you could play the whole game without ever scrolling or panning across the screen.

It would be fantastic if the modules' zoom levels could be preset with standard screen resolutions. So instead of zoom levels of (0.7, 0.6, 0.5) you'd have, say, 4K:0.81, 2K:0.59 and HD:0.31 (those numbers are just made up)

I do really appreciate the time and effort the vassal module designers put in.

cheers
Gus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.