Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wargame suggestions post Axis and Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wisniewski
msg tools
Hey everyone just stumbled upon this site today and it is amazing!!! So obviously a first time poster.

I am not a massive gamer but would like to break into more and more wargames. I have played some really old games with my father 15 year ago that were massive and about WWII and involved ship battles, it was quite fun using those square cardboard pieces. Recently I have found a friend who we have played the heck out of Axis and Allies and we are really looking for a new game to get into. We like the WWII theme but wouldn't mind branching out. We would like maybe a more involved game that might be a bit more advanced than Axis and Allies. I am truly up for any suggestions. Thanks again in advance and have a great day everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is great for tactical battles. For strategic level, I'd consider the HoldFast series of block games.

How important is it that the game supports more than 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For tactical combat, you could always jump to Advanced squad leader (the starter kits ease into the system).

Or, for strategic scope: A World at War.

I always suggest the top of the heap. Some might suggest easing in, but I prefer jump in the deep end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Axis & Allies was my first love when it came to wargames too! I have since moved away from historical war games and into Sci Fi ones.
My recomendations are
Battletech Introductory Box Set for tactical mech combat with a simulation level of detail.

And
Forbidden Stars it gives a similar feel as Axis & Allies, but in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nerdfatha wrote:

To the OP: If you decide to go with Forbidden Stars you had better jump on it while the jumping is good. It's essentially out of print at this point, with the publisher liquidating their remaining copies. The IP license is reverting away from the current publisher and back to it's original holder, who may well decide to forgo further production of the game.

The good news is that, for the moment at least, you can still get copies at a really good price. But this isn't likely to last. If you wait until it's sold out at the retailers the only option left will be to get gouged by opportunistic aftermarket resellers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Check into this some: Europe Aflame upon WW2-ETO "OPS" and much more beyond "A&A" concepts even. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Nerdfatha wrote:

To the OP: If you decide to go with Forbidden Stars you had better jump on it while the jumping is good. It's essentially out of print at this point, with the publisher liquidating their remaining copies. The IP license is reverting away from the current publisher and back to it's original holder, who may well decide to forgo further production of the game.

The good news is that, for the moment at least, you can still get copies at a really good price. But this isn't likely to last. If you wait until it's sold out at the retailers the only option left will be to get gouged by opportunistic aftermarket resellers.

Cardhaus will have it on sale for 10% off starting tomorrow. Not a great deal, but due to FFG pricing and there being a limited supply, it would be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
Nerdfatha wrote:

Cardhaus will have it on sale for 10% off starting tomorrow. Not a great deal, but due to FFG pricing and there being a limited supply, it would be worth a look.

Looks like Cardhaus currently has it listed for $89.99. So, 10% off drops it to ~81. Amazon has it right now at ~$75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a hardened wargamer by any stretch of the imagination but I've taken a similar path from Axis & Allies through the aforementioned Memoir '44 and into a few more 'wargamey' titles.

I'd second the recommendation for ASL Starter Kits if you want a very detailed low-level tactical game, personally I find it a bit too detailed but it might float your boat.

I'd also recommend trying some area impulse games. I'm a big fan of (the out-of-print) Storm over Arnhem, I know there are in-print games that use a similar system but I'll let others who know better recommend them. Storm Over Dien Bien Phu is the only one that comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Memoir 44

For a step up in complexity, check out Conflict of Heroes. Some scenarios can accommodate four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War at Sea into Victory in the Pacific, since you're already used to deciding battles with buckets of dice, and you liked the memories of ship battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for ASL starter kits. I started with those and also with Combat Commander: Pacific which is an amazing game. My wife and I can easily play a Combat Commander scenario in an evening very casually. Good, 2 player fun for people who don't necessarily want to spend so much time reading rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion is a different take on a war game but not really that complicated. It is fantastic with 2 or 4.

Hands in the Sea is another interesting take on a war game as well.

The Fog of War blows AA out of the water.

Finally, Forbidden Stars if you can find a copy, although I think it is best with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kuhn
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael and welcome!

I think with a bit of exploring on the site and reading reviews, geeklists and comments posted on individual games' rating pages, you can get pretty far. Since you are new to the Geek, this place is a wealth of information, but as with all info-rich things, you really have to dig through it to get what you want.

Asking on forums is great, and there are a lot of great helpful suggestions here, BGgeeks always will be, I have found. But comments on forums can also sort of reflect the thinking du jour, and that can cause you to miss some really great games that have been produced over a fairly significant span of time.

I'd take the time to poke around, no matter what you do next, because there will always be something helpful to read here. Geeklists especially are things which new users often overlook, or don't realize the significance of. There are lots of lists on the topic of wargames for the budding wargamer. Rather than explain what geeklists are I'll point you to one or two here:

A great list that hihglights the differnce between genres

A good example of an introductory wargames list

I think the next thing you want to do is decide what topics interest you. You mentioned WWII. What about Napoleonics? Ancients? Modern? Scales can also be vastly different. A tactical level game features small arms is very different from a grand strategic title where units are armies. I would suggest a mix at first.

And finally, I would think about the time frame. Do you like long involved, complex games, such as you cited you saw your Dad playing, involving many hours-long sessions? Or, do you want something quicker that can be played in a sitting with a friend, perhaps in 3-6 hours?

Thinking about these questions can really help you narrow down what you want. Wargaming is better today than ever before, because you can find something that fits most tastes. The older games, which are quite good, tended to be a little more one dimensional. I mean, they were all a bit alike: namely long (or long-ish) and fairly complex. So this is going to help you decide what genre of game you are going to go for. The game with the cardboard pieces is often referred to as a "hex' n counter" style game around here. These tend to be very long, also very involved with big rulebooks (much larger than A&A, for example). Although, there are always exceptions, such as the aforementioned Combat Commander: Europe, among many others. But you are already somewhat familiar with those. What you may not realize is that these days there are lots of other styles that fall along a spectrum of complexity, realism and gameplay length. Such as Block games, Card-driven games, Area control games, and Euro-wargame hybrids (sometimes known by the slightly ungainly term "the Weuro.")

My advice to you is to do some searching here and familiarize yourself with these new-ish developments to the hobby. Chances are if you are just returning, this hobby is a lot broader than you encountered when you were actively playing. Then perhaps come back and report your likes and dislikes, and you will no doubt get even more really, really stellar recommendations than you got here at this time. Cheers, and enjoy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.