Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternating Command turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Myers
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My first impression when I was learning this game was that it reminded me of Eclipse with a Star Trek theme.

I've played it once and I've noticed it can be a little tedious waiting for all the players to do their build and command phase, especially when they're not sure what they want to do.

I'm wondering what it would look like if the game took a page from Eclipse and had everyone do a turn based Command phase.

So the way turns would work is:
1) Initiative phase as normal.
2) Each player does their build phase in the order of initiative
3) For the Command phase, each player uses up one command, then passes play to the next player, who uses up one command, etc. Play goes around in order of initiative until everyone is out of commmands or have "passed" (i.e. ended their turn).
4) Recharge phase as normal

I think, theoretically, that this would keep everyone involved in the game, obviously decrease time between turns, and give players a chance to react more quickly to what the others are doing.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuc Nucit
msg tools
Sounds good, while more time consuming BUT:
What about you want to attack someone? You jump out of Warp. He moves away. You folow him, he moves away. Granted this works only for Ships, but you can position yourself in a way, that you can pull this of twice before the opponent gets to your system. Thus consuming at least two command just for funny games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Round Robin Command Token actions, one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Myers
United States
New York
flag msg tools
*sigh, thanks. I tried doing a search for this, but I guess I didn't type in the right words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be very different with this variant, but probably won't be ruined. You should try it and see.

The warp system seems designed around having several actions on your turn. You need 2 actions to flank someone so they can't retreat. You need 2 actions to warp in and start shooting. It's very hard to conduct an offensive one action at a time. Likewise, a big part of defense in this game is that your defenses have to last a while, sometimes up to 2 turns from each opponent.

But that doesn't mean it won't work any other way. The balance and strategies will just be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nucit wrote:
Sounds good, while more time consuming BUT:
What about you want to attack someone? You jump out of Warp. He moves away. You folow him, he moves away. Granted this works only for Ships, but you can position yourself in a way, that you can pull this of twice before the opponent gets to your system. Thus consuming at least two command just for funny games.

Excatly, you would have to do something like 3 commands per turn. Even then there will still be some problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.