James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say that the event was overall a fantastic experience, but one thing left a bad taste. It was the first timers giveaway. So my experience here was getting into a crush of people going to get free games, seeing people get four or five games and then, by the time I get upto the front there is only one game left to get.

Yes, I know complaining about getting a free game sounds lame and it is. However, it was upsetting to me and I rarely get upset about things like that.

They know how many first timers are at the con... they know how many games they have available.

So, a few suggestions that would benefit future first timers.

a) divide the number of games by first timers and limit the number of games to that.

b) similar to above, but stagger the number of games such that those at the front get fewer (but better) games, and those towards the back get more games but lesser choices.

Let me be clear I am not asking for anything for myself. I merely want future first timers to have a better experience than I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like more of an issue of your fellow first-timers than BGG.Con. They were supposed to grab one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a first timers giveaway?

Ooops...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this was more of a "hey, these are the same games we gave away when you checked into the con, but there's a ton left over and we don't want to store them so here you go".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea it's a give away the "first timer" bit is more of a suggestion then a requirement as we have no way of knowing who is or isn't a first timer when we're trying to get 1500 people through the line asap. i know i definitely saw people getting games that weren't and no one took more then they were allowed, it was one game of each title so the first 50-100 people got like 6 games.

Amusingly it's actually more punishing to first timers as they are in at tables in the room for seats but the best spot is to camp the giveaway table if you want a second set of games as being in the room and trying to get out to grab games is almost impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What were the titles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Sounds like more of an issue of your fellow first-timers than BGG.Con. They were supposed to grab one.

No. they each were given one of each game, while they lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
cscottk wrote:

No. they each were given one of each game, while they lasted.

I kinda felt sorry for people who had to scramble to figure out how to get an unexpected pile of games into their luggage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
I kinda felt sorry for people who had to scramble to figure out how to get an unexpected pile of games into their luggage!

Apparently they could have solved that by giving their extra games to James Perry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firsttimer here who went with experienced Con people - I got a pile of games that I didn't pick up when I registered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
First let me say that the event was overall a fantastic experience, but one thing left a bad taste. It was the first timers giveaway. So my experience here was getting into a crush of people going to get free games, seeing people get four or five games and then, by the time I get upto the front there is only one game left to get.

Yes, I know complaining about getting a free game sounds lame and it is. However, it was upsetting to me and I rarely get upset about things like that.

They know how many first timers are at the con... they know how many games they have available.

a) divide the number of games by first timers and limit the number of games to that.

b) similar to above, but stagger the number of games such that those at the front get fewer (but better) games, and those towards the back get more games but lesser choices.

Let me be clear I am not asking for anything for myself. I merely want future first timers to have a better experience than I had.

My son was able to get 4 games in the "crush of people" and had no problem getting back to our table with them. He's 11 and it made his day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutherford
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
My son was able to get 4 games in the "crush of people" and had no problem getting back to our table with them. He's 11 and it made his day.

What? No one under the age of 13 is permitted at BGG Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
kevruth wrote:
Gnomish Mustard wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:

Obviously, you didn't have your Dalek army to push away the masses. Nobody wants to get derezzed for a crappy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
kevruth wrote:
Gnomish Mustard wrote:

It's 12, but yeah, wtf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevruth wrote:
Gnomish Mustard wrote:

CAP'N, the Can O Worms, SHE'S BEEN BREACHED!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
Regai wrote:

Well, nice, but it was supposed to be get one, and well, you knew he shouldn't have been there at 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple notes:

- We had various quantities of 4-5 game titles left over at the end of the show. We invited First-Timers to calmly come and take extras. Basically everyone got one of everything left over as the titles ran out. So front of the line got one of each title left over, those coming up later would have only gotten one of whichever title we had the most of.

- First-Timers are self-identified and "on your honor" - we don't have data (at least readily at hand) to tell us how many First-Timers we actually have each year.

- BGG.CON is restricted to gamers 12 years old and up, again honor-system - we don't ask for birth certificates, but we do question parents with kids that look a little young. BGG.Spring (in May each year) is open to gamers of all ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
So, what happens when someone admits to flouting the rules, and (presumably) lying about it at registration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
So, what happens when someone admits to flouting the rules, and (presumably) lying about it at registration?

Flogging, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we send all the VFM copies of Schlock Mercenary to their house
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

I am sure it was a honest mistake (well, I hope so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Maybe we send all the VFM copies of Schlock Mercenary to their house

Please DM me the address. Boxed and ready to ship out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Brubakken
United States
Topeka
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
kevruth wrote:
Gnomish Mustard wrote:

It's 12, but yeah, wtf?

Let's assume he just turned 12 and his father forgot.
It's not like most 11 /12 year olds have IDs with turn to prove their age.

And if he was well behaved and no one asked to check his age, we can just move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.