Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Trump not interested in further Clinton probe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.


http://elections.ap.org/content/conway-trump-not-interested-...



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Link broke

Should work now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What's the deal with board games?
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Bad idea. If she broke the law, then prosecute her.

Did the head of the FBI not say there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing?

I mean, we're past the "post-fact" election, we can get back into facts, right?
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
stanstanminson wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Bad idea. If she broke the law, then prosecute her.

Did the head of the FBI not say there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing?

I mean, we're past the "post-fact" election, we can get back into facts, right?


This may be a shock, but just maybe it was *suggested* to Comey that he back off? cough, cough...

After all Hillary did cite Comey as one of the factors in her fall.


ooo, let me try:



This may be a shock, but just maybe it was *suggested* to Comey that he re-open his investigation? cough, cough...

After all Hillary did cite Comey as one of the factors in her fall.


Funny how it works both ways for some reason.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. I love the way the Rs boast about Trump being a "master persuader".

Yes. He's very good at selling snake oil. That doesn't make you a winner for buying the snake oil.

In this scenario, you're the geniuses who spent the family money on snake oil, we're the ones who are going to have to tell the kids that there's no dinner tonight because you spent all the family money on snake oil. Yeah, we're the ones who are sad now, but once you geniuses stop pointing at us and screaming "ha ha you're sad!" and figure it out, you'll be sad too.
23 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If she broke the law she should be prosecuted. Pure and simple. If not, "I pardon her" (which is the effect of what he's saying) is dishonest. You don't pardon an innocent person.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
God, who'da thunk that the 'Master Persuader' was pandering to the Anti-Hilary crowd out there with his 'Lock Her Up!!' rhetoric, when he had NO INTENTION of doing this, for whatever reason- either he realized that the case against Ms. Clinton wasn't there, or he didn't want to pay the political price for going after a political opponent, or he flipped a coin in Trump Tower with Conway while eating his Cheerios for breakfast. Who knows?

But it's pretty clear that he was playing Trump supporters for saps on this promise.

I wonder how everyone is going to react when he walks away from 'The Wall' with Mexico.....

Darilian
18 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Bad idea. If she broke the law, then prosecute her.

To say "Yeah, she's suffered enough," is just another case of placing her above the law.

Does the rule of law mean anything, or doesn't it?



Drew, I definitely see your point, and mostly agree.

However, maybe it is best just to let it ride and let the country move on since there is so much divisiveness right now. I think further legal action will just stir up the pot even more and diminish Trump's power, vision, and his popularity.

I think the Clintons have been thoroughly humiliated and their run is over. I hope that they can move back to NY or Chicago or where ever they decide and retire from the media and politics. I doubt that will happen.


But one of the main slats (only?) in his platform was that Clinton was a criminal. Not a politician who legally manipulated this system but an actual criminal. That the whole system was rigged to protect the powerful elites and permit criminal activity. He specifically said one of the first things he would do as President is create a special commission to prosecute her.

Now that doesn't matter after he's been elected? That he is going to validate the rigged system he railed against? What?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Drew1365 wrote:


It really goes right back to the oft-repeated question of 2016: does the rule of law mean anything?


Under Pres. Trump? Probably less than it did under Pres. Obama or a hypothetical Hilary Clinton presidency.

It's pretty clear that Trump is doing whatever makes him popular with his base, more than what he thinks is important for America.

Darilian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Bad idea. If she broke the law, then prosecute her.

To say "Yeah, she's suffered enough," is just another case of placing her above the law.

Does the rule of law mean anything, or doesn't it?

clinton merely wanted to protect her privacy and not let personal information get out into the public - surely you can sympathize
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
And he also added, in case anybody got the idea that what she did wasn't illegal, that anybody else would have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Just not Hillary.



Just to clarify--- where exactly did he say this?

edit-> Because the quote I'm familiar with is this:

Quote:

Sen. Sasse: Do you think that Secretary Clinton break any laws related to classified data?

Director Comey: We have no evidence sufficient to justify the conclusion that she violated any of the statutes related to classified information.


http://www.mediaite.com/online/fbi-director-comey-says-there...


Which directly contradicts your sentiments here.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
utoption2 wrote:
Darilian wrote:
God, who'da thunk that the 'Master Persuader' was pandering to the Anti-Hilary crowd out there with his 'Lock Her Up!!' rhetoric, when he had NO INTENTION of doing this, for whatever reason- either he realized that the case against Ms. Clinton wasn't there, or he didn't want to pay the political price for going after a political opponent, or he flipped a coin in Trump Tower with Conway while eating his Cheerios for breakfast. Who knows?

But it's pretty clear that he was playing Trump supporters for saps on this promise.

I wonder how everyone is going to react when he walks away from 'The Wall' with Mexico.....

Darilian


OMG!!! A **Dar** sighting! Are you in fact still alive or is this a robot posting?


I'm alive- I'm just dealing with a lot of personal bullshit right now.

Ie- my former employers are a bunch of weasels.

But I just talked with my lawyer, got a bunch of hush money, and signed an NDA. So life is better now!

Ah well, employment in the 21st Century.

Gah.

Darilian
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
I wonder how everyone is going to react when he walks away from 'The Wall' with Mexico.....
I dunno, I think this one can be achieved Obama-style, like Gitmo closing. Obama made the motions of closing Gitmo and Congress said fuggitaboutit, allowing him to say "Aw shucks, well I tried". Trump just has to do the same thing. Frame the project in a way that Congress will not fund and then they are the bad guys and he "tried".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Darilian wrote:
I wonder how everyone is going to react when he walks away from 'The Wall' with Mexico.....
I dunno, I think this one can be achieved Obama-style, like Gitmo closing. Obama made the motions of closing Gitmo and Congress said fuggitaboutit, allowing him to say "Aw shucks, well I tried". Trump just has to do the same thing. Frame the project in a way that Congress will not fund and then they are the bad guys and he "tried".


Trump has already said that sections of fencing could be in the "wall". I suspect his supporters will be fine with a part-wall part-fencing solution. [Unless looming economic unrest in Mexico creates a tide of illegal immigration that Trump can't control even with a wall/fence]

So really we're talking about a border fence with at least a small portion of it being in wall-form.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

It's pretty clear that Trump is doing whatever makes him popular with his base, more than what he thinks is important for America.


How can this be though? He's reversed course on nearly all of his campaign and he hasn't been sworn in yet. Not just small stuff, the big stuff. ACA, Wall Street, prosecute Hillary. How is this making him popular with his base? How are his constituency reacting to this? I realize that RSP is largely defending him regardless but the rest of America must be starting to wonder.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a server in Trump Tower yet?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Of course. I love the way the Rs boast about Trump being a "master persuader".

Yes. He's very good at selling snake oil. That doesn't make you a winner for buying the snake oil.

In this scenario, you're the geniuses who spent the family money on snake oil, we're the ones who are going to have to tell the kids that there's no dinner tonight because you spent all the family money on snake oil. Yeah, we're the ones who are sad now, but once you geniuses stop pointing at us and screaming "ha ha you're sad!" and figure it out, you'll be sad too.


I don't recall the term "master persuader" being used in reference with regards to Trump? With regards to President Pencil-Neck, sure, but Trump, not so much. And, Ryan, the snake oil you're referring to, that's the Dems that bought into Soon-to-be-ex-President Pencil-Neck.


Scott Adams (yup- creator of Dilbert) pushed the master persuader aspect really hard on his blog and then lost faith right at the end when the public polls looked bad.


On the "law is the law" part, given behavior towards trump's alleged misdeeds by conservatives, I am waiting for hysterical (as in funny) posts by conservatives rationalizing every criminal deed committed by the Trump administration. And they are SOOOO ignorant of the law that it's going to happen- even without intent to commit criminal acts.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

But it's pretty clear that he was playing Trump supporters for saps on this promise.

I wonder how everyone is going to react when he walks away from 'The Wall' with Mexico.....
Darilian


Agree, except that there is actual money to be made in building a wall, where as the whole prosecute Clinton thing has no profitability and was purely political pandering.

9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Darilian wrote:

But it's pretty clear that he was playing Trump supporters for saps on this promise.

I wonder how everyone is going to react when he walks away from 'The Wall' with Mexico.....
Darilian


Agree, except that there is actual money to be made in building a wall, where as the whole prosecute Clinton thing has no profitability and was purely political pandering.



They are already backing off the wall. I look forward to conservatives vigorously supporting a national biometric database of all citizens. It will be amusing tho I wonder how they will avoid breaking their backs with all the twisting and flipping going on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
dkearns wrote:
Darilian wrote:

It's pretty clear that Trump is doing whatever makes him popular with his base, more than what he thinks is important for America.


How can this be though? He's reversed course on nearly all of his campaign and he hasn't been sworn in yet. Not just small stuff, the big stuff. ACA, Wall Street, prosecute Hillary. How is this making him popular with his base? How are his constituency reacting to this? I realize that RSP is largely defending him regardless but the rest of America must be starting to wonder.


I think he's polling his base through his email lists- I got one three days asking how important I felt different parts of his 100 day plan was.

My hunch is that he's trying to figure out what issues he can safely walk away from, what ones he can use to pander with, and what issues he can embrace safely.

My main point is that I don't think he has any firm convictions on policy at all. I think he's doing what he can to please everybody, rather than taking a firm stance on anything.

Ie-
He's a weasel.

Darilian
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Darilian wrote:

It's pretty clear that Trump is doing whatever makes him popular with his base, more than what he thinks is important for America.


How can this be though? He's reversed course on nearly all of his campaign and he hasn't been sworn in yet. Not just small stuff, the big stuff. ACA, Wall Street, prosecute Hillary. How is this making him popular with his base? How are his constituency reacting to this? I realize that RSP is largely defending him regardless but the rest of America must be starting to wonder.


I think he's polling his base through his email lists- I got one three days asking how important I felt different parts of his 100 day plan was.

My hunch is that he's trying to figure out what issues he can safely walk away from, what ones he can use to pander with, and what issues he can embrace safely.

My main point is that I don't think he has any firm convictions on policy at all. I think he's doing what he can to please everybody, rather than taking a firm stance on anything.

Ie-
He's a weasel.

Darilian


Wow, that's crazy.

I feel that an important part of the rule of law, besides prosecuting it, is that you can't just simply accuse people of crimes. His supporters believed him, the US voted and he won. Now I think we need to find out whether she is actually a criminal or he is full of shit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I really want the law to mean something again. People are tired of seeing elected officials skate free for the same actions that would send the citizen class to prison for years.


While I do agree, I'm curious: how do we stop the influence of money and power in the law? I mean, at a base level, being able to pay for good lawyers severely warps the legal system to begin with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
And he also added, in case anybody got the idea that what she did wasn't illegal, that anybody else would have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Just not Hillary.



Just to clarify--- where exactly did he say this?

edit-> Because the quote I'm familiar with is this:

Quote:

Sen. Sasse: Do you think that Secretary Clinton break any laws related to classified data?

Director Comey: We have no evidence sufficient to justify the conclusion that she violated any of the statutes related to classified information.


http://www.mediaite.com/online/fbi-director-comey-says-there...


Which directly contradicts your sentiments here.


Well, see, there is this Pretty Legit (tm) site that Drew gets his information from that lets him in on the REAL truths...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stanstanminson wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Bad idea. If she broke the law, then prosecute her.

Did the head of the FBI not say there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing?

I mean, we're past the "post-fact" election, we can get back into facts, right?


Drew wasn't going to accept anything less than prosecution, conviction and years of jail time for Hillary. Anybody that didn't push for those three things are just pawns of the system to him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WnS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.