Subject: some questions seeking tips on rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
after a good number of plays and owning all of the expansions I have some questions to help our win ratio, I must first point out the main reasons of these questions is due to the fact that when we play this game, we tend to try and only read what we need to, we don't just sit and read the back of cards we missed or the other encounter parts or fail/success parts that we don't encounter ourselves, lots of the fun is the surprise and suspense however there are a few game moments that have made me want a better understanding of certain things, but I still don't want to go read every card to find out...

1. so first question is related to rex murphy, he seems to be a cool character, but even if he was to get the max improvement tokens on each skill (+2) , I still don't know that I think the cursed condition is worth it, having to only roll 6's is pretty hard, so I find myself wondering if there is a way to turn him into quite the good character, are there any cards or anything that can stop a curse from affecting him or him getting one? (if you don't know who he is, he is a reporter that has the ability that whenever he doesn't have a cursed condition, you improve a skill and then gain a cursed condition)

2. Second question is regarding artifacts, we have encountered to elder gods in a row now that have had mysteries requiring us to gain an artifact so that we can gain a specific artifact, and the first one made some sense due to the Egypt side board being out, the bent pyramids claim their most common effect is artifacts, however we actually got the artifact in this game from a mythos card, after 3 shots at a bent pyramids encounter, I never saw an artifact... then we had an azathoth mystery that needed us to gain an artifact to get a specific artifact, but then we didn't have a space on the board claiming it gave out artifacts, I think we finally got the artifact from an expedition encounter, but we had resolved like 5 that game and only saw an artifact from one, and there were no characters I saw that can get artifacts, so to help us win more, id like tips on what the best method is to find an artifact in this game?

3. Is kinda more a variant question, but we for our first 5 games or so played on "easy" mode, where we didn't include any "hard" cards in the mythos deck, now that we have understood the game better, we have tried "normal" mode where you don't sort out any mythos cards, but the past 2 games we did that with, it seemed like we were practically played "hard" mode seeing as though wed only run into 1-2 easy mythos cards and like 5-6 hard mythos cards, both games we actually got the mythos that makes everyone lose if you don't solve it on pretty much a 2 turn clock >.> so I was wondering if there is any tips, or a system made by someone, that works at making a mythos deck that isn't just easy, but doesn't surrender to the randomness of possibly an abnormal amount of hard cards as well? basically a system that would make a balanced mythos deck, but hopefully not tell the builder of the deck exactly how many easy or hard cards there are? basically preferring a random method here, but a more balanced one than shuffling all like 50-60 cards together and hoping the deck spits out an even number of easy, medium, and hard cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beleren669 wrote:
I was wondering if there is any tips, or a system made by someone, that works at making a mythos deck that isn't just easy, but doesn't surrender to the randomness of possibly an abnormal amount of hard cards as well? basically a system that would make a balanced mythos deck, but hopefully not tell the builder of the deck exactly how many easy or hard cards there are? basically preferring a random method here, but a more balanced one than shuffling all like 50-60 cards together and hoping the deck spits out an even number of easy, medium, and hard cards?
Easy!

Here's what I do: I work out what the ratio of Easy:Normal:Hard there is for each of the Mythos categories (Rumour, Reckoning, Surge), based on the expansions that I have - data is probably in the Files section.

Now I count out how many Rumour, Reckoning and Surge cards there will be for the AO I select and I work out how many of these should be Easy/Normal/Hard using the ratios. That gives me a "normal" game.

If I want easier, I can substitute one or more cards.

The important thing is to randomly select from the Category/Difficulty sub-decks.

For Rumours, I usually pick 4 (1 Easy, 2 Normal, 1 Hard), shuffle them and select 2 at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beleren669 wrote:
after a good number of plays and owning all of the expansions I have some questions to help our win ratio, I must first point out the main reasons of these questions is due to the fact that when we play this game, we tend to try and only read what we need to, we don't just sit and read the back of cards we missed or the other encounter parts or fail/success parts that we don't encounter ourselves, lots of the fun is the surprise and suspense however there are a few game moments that have made me want a better understanding of certain things, but I still don't want to go read every card to find out...

Well, one of the things that improves your win ratio when you play more games, is a knowledge of things like:
- what sort of emphasis each AOO has (e.g. Yog-Sothoth focuses on gates/spells, Shub-Niggurath on monsters, etc.)
- what skills are most commonly tested at each location.
- what items exist in the deck and how these can be combo'd with different investigator abilities.
- what are the nastier mythos card and how to prepare for them (i.e. try to stay above 3 health/sanity, keep 2 clues in reserve after finishing the first mystery)

If you don't want to read the components of the game, it just means it will take you more games to eventually encounter enough "stuff" to figure the above out for yourself.

beleren669 wrote:

1. so first question is related to rex murphy, he seems to be a cool character, but even if he was to get the max improvement tokens on each skill (+2) , I still don't know that I think the cursed condition is worth it, having to only roll 6's is pretty hard, so I find myself wondering if there is a way to turn him into quite the good character, are there any cards or anything that can stop a curse from affecting him or him getting one? (if you don't know who he is, he is a reporter that has the ability that whenever he doesn't have a cursed condition, you improve a skill and then gain a cursed condition)

Rex is actually a *very* powerful investigator if played right. Some tips are:
- Improve his influence to 5 ASAP and (ab)use his special ability to take 4-cost worth of items, as often as possible, with no roll required (you can even do this on a non-city space). This makes him very powerful very fast.
- He starts with the lucky talisman, which lets him reroll all dice on a test once/round. Save this reroll for the encounter phase, and focus on single-roll encounters (generic/location and research encounters). Avoid monsters and expeditions (and, in the early game, gates). For this one test, he will roll twice the dice, being almost as effective as a non-cursed investigator.
- Prioritise assets that add one to the result of a test (lucky cigarette case, derringer, etc.). These will let him turn 5s to 6s, and make him a lot better than normal investigators.
- If there is nowhere urgent to go, go to Rome and stay there for a few turns. Hint: it's a good place to be if you want to get blessed.
- At the late game, he will have tons of items, +2 to all stats, and will have generated a lot of free clues for the team.
Edit: I forgot to mention the Witch Doctor, that removes the curse on a rest. Rex with the Witch Doctor can improve a skill and get a clue each turn, while he rests (can you say overpowered?)

beleren669 wrote:

2. Second question is regarding artifacts, we have encountered to elder gods in a row now that have had mysteries requiring us to gain an artifact so that we can gain a specific artifact, and the first one made some sense due to the Egypt side board being out, the bent pyramids claim their most common effect is artifacts, however we actually got the artifact in this game from a mythos card, after 3 shots at a bent pyramids encounter, I never saw an artifact... then we had an azathoth mystery that needed us to gain an artifact to get a specific artifact, but then we didn't have a space on the board claiming it gave out artifacts, I think we finally got the artifact from an expedition encounter, but we had resolved like 5 that game and only saw an artifact from one, and there were no characters I saw that can get artifacts, so to help us win more, id like tips on what the best method is to find an artifact in this game?

That's a tricky one indeed. Expeditions tend to be the most reliable way in most cases (but as you noted you can get unlucky and still not get an artifact). There is an asset (curiosity shoppe) that gives you an artifact, so if you go through the reserve fast (by acquiring a lot of assets) you might want to keep that asset in the reserve just in case. If you are playing with the Antartica sideboard, there is a space where you can get an Artifact by spending a clue.

beleren669 wrote:

3. Is kinda more a variant question, but we for our first 5 games or so played on "easy" mode, where we didn't include any "hard" cards in the mythos deck, now that we have understood the game better, we have tried "normal" mode where you don't sort out any mythos cards, but the past 2 games we did that with, it seemed like we were practically played "hard" mode seeing as though wed only run into 1-2 easy mythos cards and like 5-6 hard mythos cards, both games we actually got the mythos that makes everyone lose if you don't solve it on pretty much a 2 turn clock >.> so I was wondering if there is any tips, or a system made by someone, that works at making a mythos deck that isn't just easy, but doesn't surrender to the randomness of possibly an abnormal amount of hard cards as well? basically a system that would make a balanced mythos deck, but hopefully not tell the builder of the deck exactly how many easy or hard cards there are? basically preferring a random method here, but a more balanced one than shuffling all like 50-60 cards together and hoping the deck spits out an even number of easy, medium, and hard cards?

That's an interesting question. There are more hard mythos cards than easy mythos cards, so maybe a way to balance the deck is going through the hard cards and removing the ones that are the worst (i.e. impairing multiple skills, everyone loses lots of health/sanity, etc.). This way overall you have an equal chance of getting easy and hard cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The real tradeoff for the curse is in the phenomenal speed at which Rex acquires stuff. Much of the time, you can use stuff to mask your weaknesses, or avoid rolling skill checks. He typically gets a lot of dice between skill boosts and random equipment, so with his talisman he can usually beat most encounters. But he certainly won't always succeed. Terrible stuff will happen to Rex. You can almost count on him to flip his curse at some point during the game, and keep him far away from combat. There's no way to make it so that the curse doesn't affect him. Then it wouldn't be a disadvantage! I quite enjoy him nevertheless.

2. The default way, and I think the best way, to get artifacts is the Expedition Encounter.

3. I always play normal, myself. I've seen some people espouse a staged mythos deck, where cards in the first stage are easy, second stage are medium, and 3rd stage are hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
While hunting for an artifact, I would firstly suggest sending investigators on expeditions.

But while you do that, I would also suggest that the other investigators avoid named cities encounters. Several generic wilderness and city encounters give out artifacts, so you may try those while someone hunts for the more reliable expeditions. At least until you get that artifact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.