20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Popular Mechanics lists 45 best boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Not sure where they got this list from but here it is...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/g18/15-best-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meet me in St Louie for FIRST Worlds!
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

How the heck did Quadropolis get put in with the rest of those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then, obviously BoardGameGeek needs to publish its list of The 45 Best Automotive/Science Gadgets. Take that, Popular Mechanics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Keep in mind this is the best new boardgames.

Scythe
Falling Sky
Mombasa
Grand Austria Hotel
Thunder And Lightning
Star Wars Rebellion
Quadropolis
Stronghold
Secret Hitler
Spaceteam
Codenames
Pandemic Legacy
Blood Rage
Time Stories
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Forbidden Stars
7 Wonders Duel
Mysterium
The Gallerist
The Voyages Of Marco Polo
Sapiens
The Game
One Night Ultimate Werewolf: Daybreak
Fief: France 1429
Shadow Ops
Super Motherload
Elysium
Jarl
Operation F.A.U.S.T.
Sheriff of Nottingham
Myth
Quantum
Star Realms
Five Tribes
King Of New York
Camel Up
Splendor
Dead Of Winter
Istanbul
Marvel Dice Masters
Heroes of Normandie
Smash Up
Imperial Settlers
Castles Of Mad King Ludwig

I think we can all agree that this list is perfect and has no flaws whatsoever and no one will disagree with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duplicate thread...

Popular Mechanics and the 45 Best New Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't they know we've already compiled the Popular Mechanics of the 45 Best New Board Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think we can all agree that this list is perfect and has no flaws whatsoever and no one will disagree with this.

Just like every list of this type...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
CannonWolf wrote:

Oops, good catch. No disrespect to the other thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what you like, that's a much better list than This one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually I found that it was a reasonably good list for a mainstream non gaming magazine. Some recently published games that I like were on the list (so what if other games that I like weren't there).

Any public exposure, that there are games that exist beyond the standard Hasbro games, is really good news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
Actually I found that it was a reasonably good list for a mainstream non gaming magazine.

That's actually my main issue with it, that it would have been a reasonable list for a gaming related magazine (covers a range of different mechanics and themes, some are great but all are at least reasonably good in their categories and have players who do enjoy them), but not one for a mainstream non-gaming magazine. Because a fair number of them would be horrible as gateway games and would likely be a very bad experience for non-gamers.

Also they list these as best "new boardgames of the year", and a heck of a lot of them aren't. For some of those they even acknowledge they're not from this year, but then just carry on. Which doesn't make the list a bad list of games, but does make it a horrible list of new games of the year since a lot simply don't qualify even before considering the more subjective "best" part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
yarondav wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:
Actually I found that it was a reasonably good list for a mainstream non gaming magazine.

That's actually my main issue with it, that it would have been a reasonable list for a gaming related magazine (covers a range of different mechanics and themes, some are great but all are at least reasonably good in their categories and have players who do enjoy them), but not one for a mainstream non-gaming magazine. Because a fair number of them would be horrible as gateway games and would likely be a very bad experience for non-gamers.

Meh.

It's a list of good games (mostly). That's an awesome win for a mainstream magazine.

Sure, a lot of them are too much for most beginning gamers, but that doesn't bother me. First, a lot of beginner gamers will be scared off by the descriptions. These games don't sound like Shoots and Ladders, they sound kinda, er, difficult. Second, Popular Mechanics is for a smarter kind of consumer, not your typical brainless muggle. I'll bet a lot of Popular Mechanics readers can handle these games. Third, what's the worst that can happen? Some poor family gets Scythe, is totally confused, and swears off Popular Mechanics forever. Big deal. Are they ruined for boardgaming? No, because that kind of family would not have been likely to be into boardgaming in the first place. And the upside is a lot folks who would never have tried one of these games ends up being intrigued and joins the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is basically the hotness, the top 10 bestsellers, and the last couple Jahres of Spiels. This is the list of games that are impossible to avoid playing in gaming gatherings, and nobody needs to be encouraged to buy even more copies of them.

If you see me, though, I am down to try Thunder and Lightning, and I do want to try Istanbul again. The rest I'll continue to play when there are no other options because the room is entirely filled with people playing games from this list.

edit: The most accurate way to describe this list is as the top 45 currently most heavily marketed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
It's a list of good games (mostly).

No argument there.

skutsch wrote:
That's an awesome win for a mainstream magazine.

Not when it's presented to the mainstream audience as good games in general, instead of an information on what is good in a specialty area.

You don't recommend to general audience Falling Sky, or Mombasa, or 504, or Fief: France 1429. Not without doing a disservice to your audience.

skutsch wrote:
First, a lot of beginner gamers will be scared off by the descriptions. These games don't sound like Shoots and Ladders, they sound kinda, er, difficult.

Yeah, but why do a list of good games in a mainstream magazine? In order to expose potentially interested readers to games, and give them good options to try. People that this isn't for are less of a problem, they're not the target audience. The target audience are the people who would say "hmmm, this sounds like it might actually be interesting, and if these are supposed to be good then lets try one".

skutsch wrote:
Second, Popular Mechanics is for a smarter kind of consumer, not your typical brainless muggle. I'll bet a lot of Popular Mechanics readers can handle these games.

That still doesn't make them a good place to start. Some of them, yes, others very much no.

skutsch wrote:
Third, what's the worst that can happen? Some poor family gets Scythe, is totally confused, and swears off Popular Mechanics forever. Big deal. Are they ruined for boardgaming? No, because that kind of family would not have been likely to be into boardgaming in the first place.

I strongly disagree with the claim that anyone who will have a bad reaction to Falling Sky as their first game is someone who isn't likely to be interested in boardgaming anyway.

No, as you yourself mentioned the people who aren't interested in games at all will probably find the entire list unappealing. Those who will find in interesting and worth trying, those are the ones worth trying to preserve (and why list good games for them if you don't want to have them try games?). And if they then get a really bad experience, from a game that they expect would be a good representative sample, then sure as heck they can decide modern boardgames aren't for them.

skutsch wrote:
And the upside is a lot folks who would never have tried one of these games ends up being intrigued and joins the hobby.

Not if their first experience in what they expect to be a good game is a really bad one.
Some of the games on the list would be great for that crowd. Others are an almost guaranteed bad first experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally think too many people put too much emphasis on so called "gateway games."

Many of the first games that got me into the hobby were rather heavy feeling (La Havre, Agricola, etc.)

If I had been introduced to the hobby with many of the games people talk about as "gateway games," I doubt I'd have ever given board games another look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:
I personally think too many people put too much emphasis on so called "gateway games."

Many of the first games that got me into the hobby were rather heavy feeling (La Havre, Agricola, etc.)

If I had been introduced to the hobby with many of the games people talk about as "gateway games," I doubt I'd have ever given board games another look.

Likewise, although different games.

Especially as I think we can be pretty confident that the kind of people who read Popular Mechanics aren't exactly averse to complicated instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't heard much about 504 for the longest time........is it still a thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Um, it exists, it takes up physical space in the current universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Um, it exists, it takes up physical space in the current universe.
I've yet to hear someone say that it is a good game, or that any scenario is good, merely that it's a clever way to generate many different meh games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have put Deception over Mysterium, it's a much better game, but then again the play count on Deception is much higher, so I can see why they probably opted for Mysterium. I do have less fun when playing with 4. They could have probably put Mysterium and an asterisk next to Deception, for more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.